Firecracker

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JackShephard MD

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
med.firecracker.me

New medical education website rooted in an adaptive learning platform. Looks impressive, check it out.

Cheers.

Members don't see this ad.

The app doesn't reflect material flagged. It reflects what percentage of questions you've completed. The app has a lot of additional questions so something you have completed on the website might have a bunch more on the app. Go into anatomy and touch the '95%' and you'll see the option to 'do new questions' I believe.

Got it - thanks.

I saw the beta version on the web. Will we always have the choice to use the flagging feature, or is it a better idea to switch over to the beta version now, because the current format won't be available in the future?

Related to that...how are things "flagged" in the beta version. Do we just start questions on a topic to flag on the web?

Members don't see this ad :)
Uhhhh.... I really wish I could see everything all at one like the original version. This really makes me contemplate asking for my money back. I am still hoping for an opt-out option on this. Here we are it is December and you decide that this is a good time to change things. I don't want to go back and rebank stuff in physiology that I covered when I covered it in class. It is too time consuming to redo everything and keep doing this on top of class, on top of research, and on top of a q-bank. Do us a favor and bank that $hit for us. I feel shorted to become adjusted to a certain way of doing things and then have someone say here do this now instead because we sent out some surveys, gather data on what may or may not be the truth, then push this on us in December and give us a little bit of data to back up how YOU think it ought to carried out.

Last edited:
Uhhhh.... I really wish I could see everything all at one like the original version. This really makes me contemplate asking for my money back. I am still hoping for an opt-out option on this.

I think we all deserve added time on our subscription because of all the hassles the changes have caused. I know several peers who stopped using FC, because they are so confused by the changes, and FC format has changed in comparison to what they paid for. Couldn't this be a legal problem for FC?

I saw the beta version on the web. Will we always have the choice to use the flagging feature, or is it a better idea to switch over to the beta version now, because the current format won't be available in the future?

Related to that...how are things "flagged" in the beta version. Do we just start questions on a topic to flag on the web?

If you flag anything on the current version, it will be tested on the mobile version. We're rolling out a new feature soon (like very soon) that will give you an intelligent daily count of your flagged questions.

To flag on the mobile currently, just start a quiz. That adds the topic to your question queue. Our next update will have some interesting new features that will make this easier.

Uhhhh.... I really wish I could see everything all at one like the original version. This really makes me contemplate asking for my money back. I am still hoping for an opt-out option on this.

Web beta is opt-in, we won't be touching the classic web app until after summer 2015 step season. Be patient though, you'll like the new features that are coming soon and I'm hopeful you'll switch over. It's just a few things right now (questions per day, count past 80) that once fixed will make it easier to use.

Web app doesent sync. Just saying

The beta doesn't sync?

If you flag anything on the current version, it will be tested on the mobile version. We're rolling out a new feature soon (like very soon) that will give you an intelligent daily count of your flagged questions.

To flag on the mobile currently, just start a quiz. That adds the topic to your question queue. Our next update will have some interesting new features that will make this easier.

Web beta is opt-in, we won't be touching the classic web app until after summer 2015 step season. Be patient though, you'll like the new features that are coming soon and I'm hopeful you'll switch over. It's just a few things right now (questions per day, count past 80) that once fixed will make it easier to use.

The beta doesn't sync?

no it does not. I refresh the page and nothing happens it actually resets back to "0"

you really should give us an extension on our subscription, your company should be embarrassed about the way things were handled. It is just one blunder after another.

no it does not. I refresh the page and nothing happens it actually resets back to "0"

you really should give us an extension on our subscription, your company should be embarrassed about the way things were handled. It is just one blunder after another.

Why don't you write into customer support? It's been tested internally, but browsers / device could affect.

The beta doesn't sync?

First of all, there is new questions available just on the mobile app correct? And if we don't opt into the mobile app, will we ever receive those questions on the old web version?

Thanks

Confused on this as well. If we switch to beta on the web, how do you flag topics?

I still use the normal website to flag. Until they address this in the beta/app I figure it's an easy way to keep things straight.

Was a bug, fixed.

First of all, there is new questions available just on the mobile app correct? And if we don't opt into the mobile app, will we ever receive those questions on the old web version?

Thanks

No. There are no questions available "just on the mobile app." Mobile runs on legendary so some users will not have seen those questions.
Confused on this as well. If we switch to beta on the web, how do you flag topics?

Right now starting a quiz "flags" that topic in mobile. But, there got something brand new coming very soon that will make it much easier.

One of the ideas behind the removal of flagging topics was to make it easier to flag either individual topics or massive sections -- a common user request. So if you hit start quiz on Anatomy -- anatomy is flagged.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Was a bug, fixed.

No. There are no questions available "just on the mobile app." Mobile runs on legendary so some users will not have seen those questions.

Right now starting a quiz "flags" that topic in mobile. But, there got something brand new coming very soon that will make it much easier.

One of the ideas behind the removal of flagging topics was to make it easier to flag massive sections -- a common user request. So if you hit start quiz on Anatomy -- anatomy is flagged.

So you won't be able to flag subsections? I flag generally one or two topics a day, as we cover them in lecture. I don't want to flag a whole section until I've seen it in lecture first. Will this not be possible?

One of the ideas behind the removal of flagging topics was to make it easier to flag massive sections -- a common user request. So if you hit start quiz on Anatomy -- anatomy is flagged.
Removing the ability to flag individual topics makes FC unusable IMO. How are you supposed to keep on top of your questions if you can only flag them in blocks of 100+? This fix is ridiculous because it creates a different, bigger problem. Do you guys run these ideas by users at all before you start to implement them?? The simple and obvious fix would be to just add a flag button by a section (i.e. Pulmonary Pathology) rather than eliminating the ability the flag individual topics and totally messing up the way most of us use FC.

Reactions: 1 user
You can still flag individual topics; wherever you start a quiz, that is added. If you start at Anatomy, or if you start at upper limb, or if you start at Brachial Plexus.

You can still flag individual topics; wherever you start a quiz, that is added. If you start at Anatomy, or if you start at upper limb, or if you start at Brachial Plexus.

Yea..but there is no way to visually see what you have flagged once you've done it. That's something that is helpful on the web, where you have a general feel for the progress you are making.

Yea..but there is no way to visually see what you have flagged once you've done it. That's something that is helpful on the web, where you have a general feel for the progress you are making.
Working on it / unflagging. For now, the percent tells you what percent of questions you've answered, which is more detail than previously available.

Does anyone else have this problem: on the iPhone app, the send us a message button brings me to a page with a text box where I should be able to write a response, but what I'm typing doesn't actually show up. The cursor just blinks eternally. I've force quit the app, but that doesn't fix it. Running firecracker version 3.3.3 on the latest iOS. Can someone try it for me and let me know if they have the same problem?

Does anyone else have this problem: on the iPhone app, the send us a message button brings me to a page with a text box where I should be able to write a response, but what I'm typing doesn't actually show up. The cursor just blinks eternally. I've force quit the app, but that doesn't fix it. Running firecracker version 3.3.3 on the latest iOS. Can someone try it for me and let me know if they have the same problem?

Thanks! Will fix.

Be patient though, you'll like the new features that are coming soon and I'm hopeful you'll switch over. It's just a few things right now (questions per day, count past 80) that once fixed will make it easier to use.

WHEN ARE THESE NEW FEATURES COMING?!?! The original blog post about the "recommendation engine" where the term "soon" was first used in reference to these new features was made on November 6th. Needless to say, "Soon" isn't good enough. "Soon" can mean within the next couple of days of within the next year. Seriously, you guys need to provide an expected release date. How do you expect us to be patient when there is so much uncertainty on your end? You guys are obviously okay with releasing half-finished products, so why are you so hesitant to give an expected release date? I'll be seeking a refund soon if things don't improve significantly within the next week.

WHEN ARE THESE NEW FEATURES COMING?!?! The original blog post about the "recommendation engine" where the term "soon" was first used in reference to these new features was made on November 6th. Needless to say, "Soon" isn't good enough. "Soon" can mean within the next couple of days of within the next year. Seriously, you guys need to provide an expected release date. How do you expect us to be patient when there is so much uncertainty on your end? You guys are obviously okay with releasing half-finished products, so why are you so hesitant to give an expected release date? I'll be seeking a refund soon if things don't improve significantly within the next week.

I understand your frustration. It's tough to give release dates though. It's easy to come up with an idea, but then you have to build it, you have to test it. You may notice, things break or don't always work like intended.

Also a reason we don't give release dates? Apple. Freaking. Apple. I'm a HUUUUUUGE Apple fanboy, but developing for iTunes apps has really soured me on them. At one point in September, from submission to the Apple store to approval of the app for release, it took more than 3 WEEKS. On average, a submission to the app store to approval takes 8 business days -- nearly 2 full weeks.

Soon? I'd say look for some really cool stuff before the end of 2014, and some big things in January. But I can't promise dates because there is too much uncertainty in building new products and dealing with an unknown like the App store -- which by the way shut down to developers on Dec. 20 and is offline until Dec. 30. Also -- soon is a good word because going forward the goal is to NOT BUILD HALF FINISHED PRODUCTS. We learned our lesson.

If you want a refund, write in and ask for one.

I can't seem to find where the Account & Settings are in the beta web interface/phone app. Was it removed, or am I missing something?

Also, I have tried to verify my school through email, but for some reason I keep getting the message "That verification token is invalid or has expired. Please try again." I click the button to resend a verification email and repeat the process, but the same thing happens with the "invalid token" message. And then my school still isn't verified with my FC account. It's not a pressing issue, but one that I felt should be brought to your attention.

@jwfirecracks

I can't seem to find where the Account & Settings are in the beta web interface/phone app. Was it removed, or am I missing something?

Also, I have tried to verify my school through email, but for some reason I keep getting the message "That verification token is invalid or has expired. Please try again." I click the button to resend a verification email and repeat the process, but the same thing happens with the "invalid token" message. And then my school still isn't verified with my FC account. It's not a pressing issue, but one that I felt should be brought to your attention.

@jwfirecracks

Account settings haven't been ported to beta yet. Is there something you're looking to change that you cannot from the classic interface?

Re: School verification -- we're aware of this issue and will resolve shortly.

Happy Holidays Student Doctors!

What's the consensus 2nd years? Are you switching to the mobile/beta version or are you sticking with the original format on the original version?
I personally dislike the algorithm. After giving the beta a try and receiving 30 embryology/biochemistry questions in a row (all of which i had previously rated 5) I switched back. I'm not going to jeopardize my preparations by waiting for it to calibrate; hence, I'm sticking with the old one.

Most recently, m.firecracker.me has added their flagging feature. I like it so far. Still having sync issues (do a bunch of questions. Close app. Open a few hours later and have to do all the same questions) across all mobile platforms.

I personally dislike the algorithm. After giving the beta a try and receiving 30 embryology/biochemistry questions in a row (all of which i had previously rated 5) I switched back. I'm not going to jeopardize my preparations by waiting for it to calibrate; hence, I'm sticking with the old one.
This only happens for the first few questions you do. Won't you even give it an hour?

Also -- the bunching of topics has been fixed, so you won't get several questions from the same topic in a row anymore.

This only happens for the first few questions you do. Won't you even give it an hour?

Also -- the bunching of topics has been fixed, so you won't get several questions from the same topic in a row anymore.

I'm not trying to be a jerk, and I hope this doesn't come out wrong---but are you a med student/resident/attending? Because, if not, you won't understand that we don't have time nor the desire to waste an hr on pointless studying on a program that wasn't explained well to us and which still has significant problems. We spend 60-80 hrs of week in class and studying for our classes and firecracker is the extra sacrifice we make for board prep. For some, it may even be the difference between relaxing and watching Big Bang theory for an hr before we go to sleep versus doing an hr of firecracker.

Which is why I'm staying with the old version....which has PROVEN results, and that's what I paid 200 dollars for lol.

Most recently, m.firecracker.me has added their flagging feature. I like it so far. Still having sync issues (do a bunch of questions. Close app. Open a few hours later and have to do all the same questions) across all mobile platforms.
I'm also still having this problem, as recently as yesterday. I'll do questions in the app, close to go look up something on the internet, and then re-open the app and get all of the same questions again. I'm sticking with the old version for now, it's worked very well for me so far and I'm not going to change 6 months out from Step, especially with all the problems the app still has.

Just wanted to say thanks for allowing for the option to unflag topics on the new app. That was the thing keeping me from using it - I was tired of doing questions that I had previously unflagged on the website. Thanks!!

Good to hear. Are you sure though? Considering I'm almost half banked I can imagine that there are lots of similiar questions yet to be answered. I would hate to waste my time on all of them.

My old system of flagging on the site then moving over to mobile for the questions **** the bed after I took a few days off before my last exam. I'm flagging new topics and just not seeing the questions. I thought it was similar to before where I had to do a pile of questions first, but I've done like 400 over last couple days and still haven't seen the new questions.

Going to try unflagging then reflagging within the mobile.

P.S. I've also had the same problem as abolt more than once: do questions, open app later in the day, same exact questions appear

Is the apps only function to allow us to just do questions? I can't figure out how to flag topics in the app and then sync it with the web.

What's the consensus 2nd years? Are you switching to the mobile/beta version or are you sticking with the original format on the original version?

Sticking with the current non-beta format for as long as it's available. I like how things are (which is why I paid to extend my subscription) and I don't want to start messing with a new interface without good reason. The previous version of mobile was significantly better than the current version and I was looking forward to using it on the wards during MS3 (for Step 2CK). If the current Beta ultimately becomes the new mobile I probably won't purchase an extension for MS3.

I think FC is caught in an identity crisis right now. Sure the current version could use a few tweaks here and there, but it seems like FC is more focused on the interface rather than the information on the cards. It's getting to the point where they're trying to draw in new customers with gimmicks (competing with picmonic, memorang, etc) rather than attempting to turn the website/app into a "must have" resource to go alongside FA, qbanks, pathoma, etc. In other words, I'm getting the feeling that the FC marketing team is slowly beginning to overshadow the FC content team.. which is unfortunate if true.

Sticking with the current non-beta format for as long as it's available. I like how things are (which is why I paid to extend my subscription) and I don't want to start messing with a new interface without good reason. The previous version of mobile was significantly better than the current version and I was looking forward to using it on the wards during MS3 (for Step 2CK). If the current Beta ultimately becomes the new mobile I probably won't purchase an extension for MS3.

I think FC is caught in an identity crisis right now. Sure the current version could use a few tweaks here and there, but it seems like FC is more focused on the interface rather than the information on the cards. It's getting to the point where they're trying to draw in new customers with gimmicks (competing with picmonic, memorang, etc) rather than attempting to turn the website/app into a "must have" resource to go alongside FA, qbanks, pathoma, etc. In other words, I'm getting the feeling that the FC marketing team is slowly beginning to overshadow the FC content team.. which is unfortunate if true.
Very informative, thanks. Could you elaborate by what you mean by "gimmicks"? Thanks.

Very informative, thanks. Could you elaborate by what you mean by "gimmicks"? Thanks.

Gimmick wasn't the best choice of word. What I meant was that the changes being made are interface types of things that (in my opinion) don't improve any aspect of learning or usability of the site/app. In other words, the changes are purely aesthetic updates that may make the website more appealing to new users.

I'm sure other users will like the updates and I don't blame FC for making the changes. I just really like the current desktop version and I hope it doesn't change drastically.

Gimmick wasn't the best choice of word. What I meant was that the changes being made are interface types of things that (in my opinion) don't improve any aspect of learning or usability of the site/app. In other words, the changes are purely aesthetic updates that may make the website more appealing to new users.

I'm sure other users will like the updates and I don't blame FC for making the changes. I just really like the current desktop version and I hope it doesn't change drastically.
Thanks, as an M1, I appreciate your input on these forums. Thanks again. Do you use firecracker more than any other resource? For class and step 1? Thanks.

Account settings haven't been ported to beta yet. Is there something you're looking to change that you cannot from the classic interface?

Re: School verification -- we're aware of this issue and will resolve shortly.

Happy Holidays Student Doctors!
Thanks for your reply.

I'm not looking to change anything in particular, but it would just be nice to have the option to reset all my flags with a single button click, change the intervals for questions to pop up, login password, etc. from one centralized GUI without having to switch between beta and classic interfaces.

One other feature that would be of great help, would be the option to place a card back into the current stack of review questions. You can tag a card with a recall level of 5, then hit "never see again." I would like to be able to tag a card with recall level of 1-2, and an option to "add card back in stack" so I can keep seeing it over and over multiple times in one review session as opposed to waiting a whole day (or more) before I see it again. Maybe even add a "recall level 0" that would automatically return the card back to your current stack of review questions.

Good to know you're on top of the school verification. Thanks!

Also @firecrackerJason

Last edited:
Thanks for your reply.

I'm not looking to change anything in particular, but it would just be nice to have the option to reset all my flags with a single button click, change the intervals for questions to pop up, login password, etc. from one centralized GUI without having to switch between beta and classic interfaces.

One other feature that would be of great help, would be the option to place a card back into the current stack of review questions. You can tag a card with a recall level of 5, then hit "never see again." I would like to be able to tag a card with recall level of 1-2, and an option to "add card back in stack" so I can keep seeing it over and over multiple times in one review session as opposed to waiting a whole day (or more) before I see it again. Maybe even add a "recall level 0" that would automatically return the card back to your current stack of review questions.

Good to know you're on top of the school verification. Thanks!

Also @firecrackerJason

Definitely like the recall 0 idea. I would also like a one-click method of opening all the "more" tabs in a single card rather than having to click them individually.

Thanks, as an M1, I appreciate your input on these forums. Thanks again. Do you use firecracker more than any other resource? For class and step 1? Thanks.

I'd say FC is one of my second tier resources. First tier being qbanks, FA, Pathoma, RR Path, and Kaplan pharm. I use FC mainly as a review tool for both classes and step 1. It is not a primary learning resource for me, but it is a crucial resource for long term retention.

We had an NBME "comprehensive exam" before winter break. It was 200 questions and covered everything from MS1 to the first semester systems. It was 3 days after our final exams (not a lot of time to prepare). I was happy with how I did and I attribute a lot of that to the constant review of material that FC provides. I've been using FC since sept/oct of MS1.

Last edited:
It's getting to the point where they're trying to draw in new customers with gimmicks (competing with picmonic, memorang, etc) rather than attempting to turn the website/app into a "must have" resource to go alongside FA, qbanks, pathoma, etc. In other words, I'm getting the feeling that the FC marketing team is slowly beginning to overshadow the FC content team.. which is unfortunate if true.

The Firecracker editing team is larger than it's ever been, and they are focused on improving Step 2 content (http://blog.firecracker.me/2014/12/18/new-upgraded-step-2-topics-week-of-december-15/) and USMLE style questions (1000 new questions added last month).

What gimmicks, specifically in relation to our competitors do you speak of? Delivering a mobile app? It was a commonly requested feature. Firecracker has undergone growing pains during this transition yes, but it's been a learning process that will make Firecracker better suited to deliver an outstanding program to users.

You seem to be vehemently opposed to the beta site, so let me make it absolutely clear: the current version of the website will remain as is through Summer 2015. It will remain up through late 2015 at the earliest. In the meantime, all the features you love on the current site will be moved to the "beta." No popular features that users have begged for and use regularly will be removed -- they just haven't been moved over yet. This will be an ongoing process in 2015.

As for a 0 card / putting questions back into the stack, or a hotkey for more, those would be gimmicks, no? And those come from the tech team. As for our marketing team, our goal is to educate users, liaison with the community, get feedback and deliver it to the content and tech teams to ensure we're making a product that is best aligned with the use of students.

You would like Firecracker to provide more emphasis on learning improvements. I can deliver those requests and work to have them implemented. However, most feedback is of a technical nature. If you have ideas for how to improve the Firecracker content, please fire away. As stated, recent focus has been on an improved Step 2 product and improved USMLE style questions.

Signed @jwfirecracks -- AKA The Entire Firecracker Marketing Team.

As for a 0 card / putting questions back into the stack, or a hotkey for more, those would be gimmicks, no? And those come from the tech team. As for our marketing team, our goal is to educate users, liaison with the community, get feedback and deliver it to the content and tech teams to ensure we're making a product that is best aligned with the use of students.

What? No, that would not be a gimmick, because it's something that improves a student's ability to learn the material. We're students, giving you the feedback that Tech Feature X would improve our user experience, so please relay that to your tech team.

You say that most feedback is of a technical nature... Well, of course it's going to be of a technical nature! Listen, we buy Firecracker because it uses technology to deliver content that is available elsewhere in less accessible means. We could just go memorize First Aid, but the Firecracker technology is supposed to help us access and retain the content. Unfortunately, the Firecracker technological platform is expensive, buggy, slow, has syncing issues, and requires internet access to work. Anki is a much nicer platform that's free (well, $25 for the iPhone app), is more customizable, has extensive documentation, has more features, and gives the user more insight into his or her progress. The big differentiator between the two platforms is the fact that the content on Firecracker is curated, but I have to say that curated content that's been hobbled by bad technology is a barrier to user adoption. That's why we're calling on Firecracker to make technical improvements rather than content improvements.

What? No, that would not be a gimmick, because it's something that improves a student's ability to learn the material. We're students, giving you the feedback that Tech Feature X would improve our user experience, so please relay that to your tech team.

Agree. Simply replying to a previous assertion that Firecracker runs on gimmicks and marketing.