Firefighter/Paramedic transition to Physician

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CAPTCHA

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone!

New to the forum but not new to lurking in the background and reading questions and responses.
First off, I'll give some background history:
I'm 28 (29 in two months). I've been an EMT for 8 years both in the clinical setting as an ED-Technician and Firefighter while attending CalPoly SLO full time for my bachelor's degree and taking medical school prerequisites. After graduating, I figured my GPA was not high enough to be competitive for medical school so I decided to apply for a special master's program at Touro university in California. In the event I didn't get in, I applied for Paramedic school. I had no contingencies other than to work if I did not secure admission into either. Turns out, I got into Paramedic school then, THE NEXT DAY, I was notified I was admitted to Touro University's MSMHS program. As I had already put my name in for Paramedic school and didn't have the appropriate familial support nor the funds of financial aid figured out, I decided to attend and apply the following year for the SMP. I completed Paramedic school in the top of my class and went on to secure a job as a Firefighter/Paramedic job. I was then released from work after a mere three months. I discovered that I liked the job but I didn't love it and felt I was not at my full potential there. I then reapplied to the SMP and got in again. I freaked out and decided not to go as I was a late applicant and a late admit (I was notified of admission the Friday before classes began). I also was hired as a Paramedic for another agency and accepted the job prior to the notification.
My current plan is to work for a year to study for the MCAT and reapply.

As I have never met anyone in the same or similar situation, I figured I would put out some feelers who can answer my questions. They are as follows:

1) I fear losing my income during medical school. I'm married and have one small dog. Having been in a similar situation, how were you able to provide for your family when your priority was medical school?

2) I fear the burdening debt that most medical students get to look forward to after graduating. What were some of your repayment plans when all your training was finished?

3) If you are (or have been) in a similar situation such as mine please detail your situation and how you overcame your obstacles and set your priorities where you were successful.

Thank you everyone and sorry for the long post

Members don't see this ad.

Hello everyone!

New to the forum but not new to lurking in the background and reading questions and responses.
I'm 28 (29 in two months). I've been an EMT for 8 years both in the clinical setting as an ED-Technician and Firefighter while attending CalPoly SLO full time for my bachelor's degree and taking medical school prerequisites. After graduating, I figured my GPA was not high enough to be competitive for medical school so I decided to apply for a special master's program at Touro university in California. In the event I didn't get in, I applied for Paramedic school. I had no contingencies other than to work if I did not secure admission into either. Turns out, I got into Paramedic school then, THE NEXT DAY, I was notified I was admitted to Touro University's MSMHS program. As I had already put my name in for Paramedic school and didn't have the appropriate familial support nor the funds of financial aid figured out, I decided to attend and apply the following year for the SMP. I completed Paramedic school in the top of my class and went on to secure a job as a Firefighter/Paramedic job. I was then released from work after a mere three months. I discovered that I liked the job but I didn't love it and felt I was not at my full potential there. I then reapplied to the SMP and got in again. I freaked out and decided not to go as I was a late applicant and a late admit (I was notified of admission the Friday before classes began). I also was hired as a Paramedic for another agency and accepted the job prior to the notification.

As I have never met anyone in the same or similar situation, I figured I would put out some feelers who can answer my questions. They are as follows:

1) I fear losing my income during medical school. I'm married and have one small dog. Having been in a similar situation, how were you able to provide for your family when your priority was medical school?

2) I fear the burdening debt that most medical students get to look forward to after graduating. What were some of your repayment plans when all your training was finished?

3) If you are (or have been) in a similar situation such as mine please detail your situation and how you overcame your obstacles and set your priorities where you were successful.

1. You will lose your income. You will have to live on student loans and most do not work through medical school. Does your wife work? If she doesnt she should look into getting into something that she can find almost anywhere you have to move.
2. While I dont have personal experience with this yet, you will be in debt, however you will be able to pay off the loans easily if you live frugally for the first couple of years, (this will be easy since you will already be used to this for four years of medical school).
3. Becoming a physician is the priority. Do that and pay off your debt. Live frugally through medical school and urge your spouse to work if possible.

I am unsure how adcoms will view the applying to an SMP twice and backing out twice. I think that you should probably NOT say that you "freaked out" and decided not to go due to being a late applicant. Late acceptances happen all the time for medical schools. Here are some people who may have more insight @Goro @Angus Avagadro

Good luck!

Hello everyone!

I suggest that you work for a few years and save up some money. I'm not yet convinced that you truly want to be a doctor. Medicine is a calling, like being a priest or a fireman.

Reactions: 1 user
Yes, you definitely need to work for awhile and volunteer/shadow to determine if you truly want to become a physician. As for the SMP, the only school that may even know about that (since you never actually attended) would be Touro. There are instances of medical students being able to work part-time during medical school to supplement income, but I wouldn't count on that. Completing paramedic school, working to gain clinical experience, and doing well on the MCAT will set you up nicely to be competitive for some of the newer DO schools, given your admittedly lower undergraduate GPA.

Reactions: 1 user