first choice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dentalguy

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
In an interview if your interviewer asks what your top choice is.....do you lie and say the school you are interviewing for or should you be up front? My guess would be to tell the the truth but I'm sure there are people who tell every school that it is there top choice. Thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

Never lie. They come back to nip you in the budd.

Don't you wanna see the school before calling it your top choice? :idea:

Instead of answering which school is your top school, I think you should say that your top school will be chosen from the schools you've applied and interviewed at. They you will come up with decision of which one is at the top depending on what you see during the interview and of course what you hear from other students. Jest mention that you seriously conceder them.

I told my interviewers that after the interview, I will be doing the same thing they will… go over the list and compare school to school, pros to cons.

Members don't see this ad :)
BeachLuvr said:
Never lie. They come back to nip you in the budd.

I think that your answer to this should be worded carefully. If they are your top choice, by all means say it, but if not, then I think chosing your answer for honesty is the best.

For example, I said that I really wanted to be a dentist and I would move anywhere I got accepted. This is/was true. Clearly you can't be expected to know your "TOP" choice without ever seeing these places. Also, most things look good on paper, and getting an actual impression from the students, staff, and location is very important.

DDS2BE said:
Don't you wanna see the school before calling it your top choice? :idea:

Instead of answering which school is your top school, I think you should say that your top school will be chosen from the schools you've applied and interviewed at. They you will come up with decision of which one is at the top depending on what you see during the interview and of course what you hear from other students. Jest mention that you seriously conceder them.

I told my interviewers that after the interview, I will be doing the same thing they will… go over the list and compare school to school, pros to cons.

That's what I did too.. just say honestly you have to wait until you've visited all the schools before you can make an informed decision about where you want to go. even if you have a pretty good idea already this is still somewhat true so you're being honest while at the same time not offending anyone :)

DDS2BE said:

But ofcourse... you were just being honest! - they just didn't know that CASE was your first choice, even before the interview. :D

Mo007 said:
But ofcourse... you were just being honest! - they just didn't know that CASE was your first choice, even before the interview. :D

Tssss... my situation was different :D , but I did visit Case many many times even before the invitation letter :p

bty Mo, did you ever mention at Case interview that OSU was your top choice? :D :D :D

DDS2BE said:
bty Mo, did you ever mention at Case interview that OSU was your top choice? :D :D :D
Nope.

But I mentioned CASE at my OSU interview... their faces changed when I told them I got into CASE. Maybe that's why they gave me such a hard-time during the interview... and ultimately put on the deferred list. :D

Ooohh Weellll.... at least I am not going too far from home. :)

This question got me on one interview at VCU. An unfair question I think. "This question has no bearing on your acceptance, but where is your first choice?" Yeah, right! The dental student I was staying with told me that the dean tells the students there about a guy who was like, "UNLV all the way, baby!" and how he had no chance of getting in. Anyway, seemed like a trick question. Why ask if it has no bearing on anything? I have not heard anything back from this school (despite the fact I was told by the other interviewer that they would love me there).

Try to be honest while expounding on good things about the school. I tried (later) to say something like, "I am really trying to find somewhere that has a strong clinical background and where I feel comfortable." That way it leaves it open for interpretation adn from that point they will probably try to sell you on their school. You can also say something like, "I am trying to keep an open mind but I have definately been impressed with what your school has to offer."

I believe you should never tell a school what your top choice is even if you are asked by the dean of your top choice schools. They no you have choices and saying "your school is number one in my book" will not get you accepted. Instead what you need to do is give the impression that the school is your top choice without saying it. If asked you need to avoid a direct answer and say something like, "based on my experience and what I have come to know about myself, I desire a school that has X,Y, and Z." You need to make sure that X, Y, and Z are directly in line with the philosopy and the facilities of that school. By doing this you do not lie yet you leave the interviewer believing that their school is your top choice. It will also make them feel good and probably create a deeper dialogue about the school and what it has to offer.