Sounds like you got a good work out 😉
I dont remember my first patient, but thought you all may find this case interesting. It challenged my patient management skills.
A 14 Y.O. FM patient came in to see us because of a red eye She was fit with SCLs from a local Doc. in the box, and had a stringy mucous discharge for the past 2 days. Her parents are on vacation for next 10 days so she needs to get her eyes cleared up before they come home. SLE shows the usual papilla/ follicles, SPK associated with a bacterial keratoconjunctivitas. I usually do not do and eye Culture on everyone but for this person, I decided to do so before initiating treatment with Zymar. Lab results come back positive for Chlamydia so I change her over to Zithromax, and also had her see her PCP. Everything clears in about 3 weeks.
She comes form a middle class family that thinks she can do no wrong. Since her parents are concerned about her welfare, they ask what she had, why the initial medication was changed, why she had her see her PCP , and why it took about 3 weeks to have everything cleared up.
The parents are not aware that their daughter is sexually active, but her PCP is aware because she Rxed her BCPs, but evidently did not inform the parents.
How would you answer the parents?