First Day of Med School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Are you excited for the first day?

• Yes

Votes: 66 70.2%
  • No

Votes: 28 29.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

modsar

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm excited!!

Members don't see this ad.

Damn, when did SDN start becoming so closely integrated with Facebook?

Members don't see this ad :)
If you're not scared ****less, you don't know what you're getting yourself in to.

I'm excited, really anxious (keep having dreams about missing class/exams and school hasn't even started yet). I know I'm going to go into it knowing absolutely nothing and that's okay, because I'm going to get chewed up and spit out in rotations/residency until I do have the knowledge to be a doctor.

But still really nervous, cause the whole best people from college --> med school = really tough competition. And I really really really hate being average. I want to do the best that I can, but have that be the top of the game - do really well on the USMLE and match well. I want to hit the ground running from day 1 but am worried that even my best won't be good enough.

So yes, nerves, excitement, all in one. :p

I am excited about going out tonight and seeing the new m1 hotties (its orientation week and bar events are planned nightly). I am doing our big brother big sister program and that meets next sunday night before classes. I can remember my big bro/sis night last year and the feelings I had during it are still with me. It will be fun/exciting to be on the other side of the table this year and see the new M1s totally anxious but ready to start their first day the next AM (the only day I actually went to class all of M1 year) ;)

Good luck everyone!

I'm excited, really anxious (keep having dreams about missing class/exams and school hasn't even started yet). I know I'm going to go into it knowing absolutely nothing and that's okay, because I'm going to get chewed up and spit out in rotations/residency until I do have the knowledge to be a doctor.

But still really nervous, cause the whole best people from college --> med school = really tough competition. And I really really really hate being average. I want to do the best that I can, but have that be the top of the game - do really well on the USMLE and match well. I want to hit the ground running from day 1 but am worried that even my best won't be good enough.

So yes, nerves, excitement, all in one. :p

You might not be average. I know you are just trying to stick with the "saying," but you may be very well above average! Dont shoot for mediocrity right off the bat! A professor of mine told us something last year "in the weeks leading up to your first exam study as much as you possibly can for those 2 weeks...and each night when youre totally burnt set a timer for another 15 minutes and over those 2 weeks you will have amassed 3.5 hours more study time out of negligible additional time spent each night." Or something. Just to study your ass off and get that "baseline" of how you will do academically if you put in a serious amount of work. Use that first exam as your "diagnostic." I discovered that not only did need to study less to get the grades I want; but if you are like me ONE good grade will make you less likely to slip below that for the rest of the course because of competition with YOURSELF.

F the competition. Who are we in competition for, the meathead gunner at the end of the row? Hell no, we are in competition with ourselves, to be the best providers we can be someday.

Another huge piece of advice my friend (who is an attending now ugh) told me is "realize that most of your classmates have no idea what the hell they are doing academically." REALIZE THIS. Everyone is in the same boat as you. You need to figure out your OWN study style and not listen to what others are doing (for the most part). Just because 10 classmates send out a study guide doesnt mean it has anything to do with you and that you will gain additional information by reading it. Study guides are person specific, that person's study guide may not work for you..

I know some people who drive themselves into a freakout because they NEED to read everyone else's study guides etc. So figure out what YOU need to do academically to succeed and ignore everyone else.

Good luck!

Excited for the first day of classes, not so excited for any of orientation...

Congratulations! Have fun.

If you aren't excited, you should have gone into a different profession. If you aren't nervous/anxious you need to develop some humility.

If it makes you guys feel any better, I am a third year who still generally gets excited about school approx 3 out of 5 days of the week.

you should be! and you have every right to be! there will be times where you doubt staying in med school, and times you feel you made the right decision...in the end it is more than worth it...

Members don't see this ad :)
If it makes you guys feel any better, I am a third year who still generally gets excited about school approx 3 out of 5 days of the week.
what med school requires only 5 days in third year? :p

At first in MS1 I was like:
tu+pac+excited+gif.gif

But then I was all like
1235644960_50_cent_does_not_approve.gif

OH ALSO my reaction when I realized the lack of hot girls in med school:
11906496_cry_gif.gif

Reactions: 1 user
Simply having girls at medical school is ****ing fantastic

I barely slept the night before the first day of orientation. I was all keyed up and excited/anxious.

A week and a half later and I'd KILL for that night of sleep back.

i barely slept the night before the first day of orientation. I was all keyed up and excited/anxious.

A week and a half later and i'd kill for that night of sleep back.
this times a million.

lot of indian and asian gals --not my type