First Dental Job Shadow

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ballardista

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just curious how everyone felt after their first dental job shadow! Anyone have a poor experience but then loved the profession later or visa versa?

What was the worst experience you had job shadowing?

Members don't see this ad.

Just curious how everyone felt after their first dental job shadow! Anyone have a poor experience but then loved the profession later or visa versa?

What was the worst experience you had job shadowing?

I can't say that my first experiences gave me good or bad impressions. But later on, when I was able to shadow (then assist) in a clinic where the dentists had a passion for dentistry and loved to teach what they were doing, I LOVED coming to the office every day 7 am to 4 pm 5 days per week for over a year as a volunteer. They made it fun and I learned so much every day. It made starting dental school great because I had a fire in my gut that was uncontrollable.

So, hopefuly, you are able to find a dentist or group of dentists that make you want to learn.

I can't say that my first experiences gave me good or bad impressions. But later on, when I was able to shadow (then assist) in a clinic where the dentists had a passion for dentistry and loved to teach what they were doing, I LOVED coming to the office every day 7 am to 4 pm 5 days per week for over a year as a volunteer. They made it fun and I learned so much every day. It made starting dental school great because I had a fire in my gut that was uncontrollable.

So, hopefuly, you are able to find a dentist or group of dentists that make you want to learn.

That is some commitment right there.

Everyday for a year? Man, you should have either gotten paid or tried to become an assistant else where.

That is some commitment right there.

Everyday for a year? Man, you should have either gotten paid or tried to become an assistant else where.

No, I knew what I was doing from the beginning. My job happenend to be at Lackland Air Force Base at their dental residency programs. I gained more experience there than what I would have anywhere else. I was able to work 2-3 month rotations in Endo, Prosth, Perio, AEGD 2 program, and in the dental labratory. I was also ale to attend post-gradate courses that dentists take to learn advanced techniques. These courses were 2 to 4 weeks long. Overall, the wealth of knowledge I gained during my 12+ months there was woth more to me than any money I could have received on the outside. The reason why I said find someone who likes to teach is because pretty much every dentist I work with durig this year+ loved to teach thins to me. They were constantly explaining everything they did, why they did it, what are alternatives and in a few cases let me do them. The more I was excited I was abot everything I was learning, the more they seemed to enjoy teaching me. The more they taught me, the more productivity they also got out of me, so it was a win win situation for everyone. Then, they taught me how to do lab work which has been invaluable for me - especially when my dental school's prosth department is ran by former AF Colonel prosthodontists. What I learned there is exactly what I have relearned in dental school.

Would I volunteer there again if I could turn back time? In a heartbeat! The only difference between the dentists at Lackland AFB and anywhere else is th military uniform. They weren't being forced to be xcited to teach me. They responded to my enthusiasm. They were glad to see a potential dentist seem to be so excited about his future profession. It is possible that you can find an opportunity in a civilian practice like this where the dentist would teach you like I was taught.
You just have to look around.