First Post

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

deleted1087654

Text

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
100% take it; I think adcoms would find this very interesting. Just try to make sure you produce something at the end (idk how much follow up they're going to be giving you if there's no deliverables)

Dont worry about getting rusty on science. I had to study for the MCAT almost 4 years after my last science class and it comes back to you.

Take it! Having done something similar, I believe this is one of those experiences you'll remember fondly about all throughout your life. It's a wonderful life experience that shouldn't be missed.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks, all. I am sensitive about starting med school "late" (at least 25 if I take this opportunity), though I recognize that it's silly. But it sounds like this could not negatively affect my nap. And hearing that my MCAT prep won't be affected too much is good. Again, thanks.

It is silly, 25 isn't late. Take this opportunity!! You'll regret it if you don't.

Reactions: 1 user
I'm 27 and like 3 years out on an application: who cares? You're gonna work til you're 70+ anyway most likely, an extra year is not the make or break of how your life is going to go. And this experience sounds freakin' awesome. Go for it!

Reactions: 2 users
Take it!!! Sounds like an amazing experience. If anything, it will likely significantly improve your chances at medical school

who cares if it wont help you on your mcat man lol....this will be a great talking about during interviews, secondaries, etc. Just know not everything you do in life has to be done to improve your medical school application! Enjoy your life !

Reactions: 1 users
i stg the competition to get into med school is a disease sometimes. this would be so good for your life AND be good for your apps as a byproduct. definitely do it.

Hope this doesn't come across as too critical but the fact that you don't realize how valuable an opportunity this is to you as both a person and a future physician signals to me that you could use the time and experience to mature! By all means, take this opportunity. Plenty of people score very well on the MCAT several years after taking prereqs- that's how Kaplan and TPR have a thriving business model. But there are ample resources for self-study as well. Also, don't be insecure about starting medical school later. The average entering age for is around 24 or 25. After that, you won't have as many opportunities to dedicate yourself to exploring interests outside of medicine. The gap year is a gift, particularly if you can do something unique and meaningful to you.

Reactions: 2 users
I suppose they may not be. My college strongly recommends all pre-med students take them, but we are also a small school with only low-income students. Could be to compensate for that.

They can definitely be interesting and useful classes, but I wouldn't delay the MCAT/application cycle/medical school for them.

Dude take that **** ASAP. Regardless of whether or not it's good for med school (it def is btw), that sounds like such a unique once in a lifetime experience. Guarantee it will come up at every interview you go on.

What's this program called, if you don't mind me asking? I'm not even in college yet so I'm just looking for things to do :) before I start in the fall

Thanks, all. I am sensitive about starting med school "late" (at least 25 if I take this opportunity), though I recognize that it's silly. But it sounds like this could not negatively affect my nap. And hearing that my MCAT prep won't be affected too much is good. Again, thanks.
I’ll be 31 starting Med school in the fall...25 is not late and this opportunity will certainly give you a leg up over other applicants in terms of exposure to diverse populations (a hot item in Med apps right now) and other healthcare systems - which you can delve into in your secondary essays or personal statement of why you want to be a doc in the US healthcare system. I would jump at this chance! Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.