First Rejection........

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
titoincali said:
Uhmmm...what's a popped collar? :oops:

a reason never to date a guy... :laugh:

j/k it's when guys wear their collars up, like they didn't have time to flip it down.

Members don't see this ad.

Joonie said:

j/k it's when guys wear their collars up, like they didn't have time to flip it down.

when did that become a fad? did some fashion guru like diddy do that first and everyone else hopped on the bandwagon??

Joonie said:

Didn't that look go out in the 80's?? I remember that decade well and I definitely don't want any of the styles to come back. :laugh:

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah yeah, being a yuppie is coming back in style.

indo said:
I am somewhat guilty of the above but I don't get the 2 different color polos one on top of the other. You have two collars to pop?

fiddler said:
yeah, what the heck is that? someone link a pic.

fiddler

Just take your shirt collar (if you have one lol) and stand it up against your neck. Like this winner down here:

Attachments

• 07wooters.jpg
    07wooters.jpg
    12.1 KB · Views: 103
Jon Davis said:
Just take your shirt collar (if you have one lol) and stand it up against your neck. Like this winner down here:

hahaha. i love how it goes with the beer

im not really seeing the trendiness of it, looks like he doesnt know how to dress himself

titoincali said:
Didn't that look go out in the 80's?? I remember that decade well and I definitely don't want any of the styles to come back. :laugh:

Oh come on, it wasn't all bad. Checkerboard Vans were pretty freakin' cool.

Joonie said:
completely off topic, but i SAW one of those when i was in vegas over the summer -- a "popped" collar. it made the guy sorta look like a jackass although i shouldn't judge by the clothes he wore. i've never seen a live one before. :) is it an east coast thing? i heard it was...

No, you are just off the social radar....no j/k :D :D :cool:

I'm from Los Angeles, Cali and I have seen more people do it there than here in Philly (east coast).

I think that is more of a preppy "whiteboy" thing....No offense to anyone...and if I did offend someone, I am terribly sorry!

come to nyc. you'll see more than popped collars to turn you off.
and checkered vans are still in. with the emo crowd.

what i'm sick of are the vertical striped button-downs. men's fashion is seriously boring.

indo said:

Ah, the average American. Give them a latte and a SUV and they'll be happy.

Members don't see this ad :)
Popped collars ran rampant at my school, with the girls getting into it, too. Nothing like seeing hundreds of the same frat boy wearing a blue polo, popped collar, pink shorts, and loafers. Or even two polos, with both collars popped! Apparently there was a yacht on campus I must have missed.

On a side note, I believe WholeLottaGame7 pops his collar and doesn't want to admit it. Preppy.

i like how this thread, like many other threads has changed topic :rolleyes:

MrBurns10 said:
Popped collars ran rampant at my school, with the girls getting into it, too. Nothing like seeing hundreds of the same frat boy wearing a blue polo, popped collar, pink shorts, and loafers. Or even two polos, with both collars popped! Apparently there was a yacht on campus I must have missed.

On a side note, I believe WholeLottaGame7 pops his collar and doesn't want to admit it. Preppy.

Yeah, what's with guys wearing pink shirts? Do they also wear matching panties?

I remember an episode of the Simpsons where Homer was put in a mental institution for wearing a pink shirt to work. He met the big, white guy that called himself Micheal Jackson.

bwells46 said:
I remember an episode of the Simpsons where Homer was put in a mental institution for wearing a pink shirt to work. He met the big, white guy that called himself Micheal Jackson.
Oh yeah! Then at the end he admits that he's not MJ, and that he had an accident that made his voice high pitched and he was actually a brick layer from Paterson, NJ. HAHA.

PM

For the DDS guy, med schools may also want fresh minds to train and mold as they see fit; you, being a trained DDS, already have a certain shaped perspective on medicine, which may turn them off.

PM

Poped collars are for losers, I saw a 60yo woman in an elevator yesterday with a collar and I wanted to kick her.

jon stewart said:
i like how this thread, like many other threads has changed topic :rolleyes:

I think banning poped collars is more important than this tool getting rejected by a school that does not even accept out of state applicants. If he read MSAR this thread would not have been started..now back to business..

Sundarban1 said:
I think banning poped collars is more important than this tool getting rejected by a school that does not even accept out of state applicants. If he read MSAR this thread would not have been started..now back to business..

Popped collars have kind of a "Count Dracula" look.

Sundarban1 said:

haha i completly agree, i like the poped coller topic much better :D

bwells46 said:
Popped collars have kind of a "Count Dracula" look.

Only if they are sharp and somewhat enclose the head. Haven't seen too many of those.

As for the comment about East Coast jerks/idiots of the kind exhibited in the OP, I definitely met one on a QuizBowl (yeah, it's nerdy) thing in freshman year of college. He was going to BU, but was termed "a Harvard reject," which was someone who was dead set on going to Harvard, but was rejected, and couldn't stand it. He was a hunchback (I am not kidding!), had a bowl cut with bangs covering his forehead, glaring blue eyes, a reddish face, a high voice, and was always drooling (!), AND he knew the answers to 99% of the questions. It was scary.

My thought here is that you went through a considerable amount of work to complete your DDS, and then found yourself unsatisfied, and looking to do something else. What is to say that after doing a considerable amount of work and finishing your MD, that you are not going to be unsatisfied and search for yet another option?

Seems to me that you are going to have to overcome this obstacle, and recognize that the DDS may not be helping you as much as it is hurting you. Also, from your general tone, you sound as if you feel that you are somehow entitled to certain things. You also sound angry. Both the feelings of anger, and of entitlement are also going to be obstacles that you need to overcome. Good luck!

Flopotomist said:
My thought here is that you went through a considerable amount of work to complete your DDS, and then found yourself unsatisfied, and looking to do something else. What is to say that after doing a considerable amount of work and finishing your MD, that you are not going to be unsatisfied and search for yet another option?

Seems to me that you are going to have to overcome this obstacle, and recognize that the DDS may not be helping you as much as it is hurting you. Also, from your general tone, you sound as if you feel that you are somehow entitled to certain things. You also sound angry. Both the feelings of anger, and of entitlement are also going to be obstacles that you need to overcome. Good luck!

Yes, yes. But what's your opinion on popped collars?

titoincali said:

If you've ever seen the movie Wet Hot American Summer you'll see a fantastic parody of the 80s fad that started it all. Can I also just say that last spring, walking down a street on campus I saw a guy wearing a seersucker suit with THREE (count 'em, THREE) pastel polo shirts underneath, all with collars popped. Eventually, they get to be mockeries even of themselves :)

riceman04 said:
I dont feel sorry for you! Suck it up and keep moving! You are not special b/c you went to a top tier uni....And look you got a D.D.S.....why switch? And obviously scores are not all that matter. Maybe your other experiences were sorry!

And plus are even a south carolina res.?

For once I am not sorry for being mean (and I am normally really nice).. But you come off as a prick!
:laugh:

KifsterDDS said:
Looks like we've got another admissions expert here. Tell me, Mr. Expert, what other flaws do you see in my application?

you're just a pompous ass, pal. :laugh:

radioh3ad said:
come to nyc. you'll see more than popped collars to turn you off.
and checkered vans are still in. with the emo crowd.

what i'm sick of are the vertical striped button-downs. men's fashion is seriously boring.

whats wrong with button-down shirts from american eagle?? i like them :cool:

Uhm, am I the only one who thought 'popped collar' referred to lost virginity?

I have not seen the polo layered look or the upturned collar around here lately, but we midwesterners are sloooow to catch on to things.

hoberto said:
Uhm, am I the only one who thought 'popped collar' referred to lost virginity?

I have not seen the polo layered look or the upturned collar around here lately, but we midwesterners are sloooow to catch on to things.

do people wear more than 1 shirt at a time? why?!?

fiddler

fiddler said:
do people wear more than 1 shirt at a time? why?!?

fiddler

Coolness is directly proportional to the number of popped collar polo shirts you wear. This is similar to coolness being directly proportional to the angle your hat is from your forehead, with 180 degrees being the coolest.

These are established facts and are not subject to change.

MrBurns10 said:
Coolness is directly proportional to the number of popped collar polo shirts you wear. This is similar to coolness being directly proportional to the angle your hat is from your forehead, with 180 degrees being the coolest.

These are established facts and are not subject to change.

:laugh: too bad the highest angle is only 180!

fiddler

Unfortunately around the University of Virginia popped collars on Polos (and LaCoste) have been all the rage . . . especially among the wealthy party-hard southern frat-boy scene. That and seersucker shorts . . . I do believe the trend has faded some since my first year, but you still see it, and girls have started joining in as well. I'll never understand . . . if it was supposed to be worn that way we wouldn't call it a collar . . . it would be a "neck sheath" or something.

i think popped collars are hot. it was all over europe when i was there last summer. and pink? hot too. you just have to know how to pull it off.

I'd like to officially declare this thread de-railed :laugh:

tacrum43 said:
Yes, yes. But what's your opinion on popped collars?
MUAHAHAHA, I was a total tool, and posted to this thread before recognizing the authority of the "Squad Hijacking Inane Threads" (S.H.I.T.)

I will vow to fully acknowledge S.H.I.T. on here from now on. I am not sure I am qualified to be a member of S.H.I.T., particularly based on my lack of interviews to date, but perhaps I can join POOP (people obsessed over popped-collars).

Flopotomist said:
MUAHAHAHA, I was a total tool, and posted to this thread before recognizing the authority of the "Squad Hijacking Inane Threads" (S.H.I.T.)

I will vow to fully acknowledge S.H.I.T. on here from now on. I am not sure I am qualified to be a member of S.H.I.T., particularly based on my lack of interviews to date, but perhaps I can join POOP (people obsessed over popped-collars).

Somebody likes their acronyms. :)

And speaking of acronyms, I just had this insight the other day. I was looking through my MSAR (yet again) at some of the New York state schools (I decided not to add them though; after a certain point, it's just diminishing returns). Anyway, I noticed they're called "State University of New York" (SUNY) and then I was thinking why aren't California state universities (CSUs) called that, because I think it would sound better (State University of California)? But then I realized that the acronym would be SUC or SUCs. :idea: So, then I understood why they're called what they are. :thumbup:

I :love: this thread btw. It's so purposefully pointless.

tootsies! said:
i think popped collars are hot. it was all over europe when i was there last summer. and pink? hot too. you just have to know how to pull it off.

I wish popped collars never existed in the first place. how very lame/preppy/stupid. Don't forget the "livestrong" bracelet and about 3 other rubber bracelets to complete the sh*ttiest look known to man.

...and pink shirts to boot? Man, talk about the most absolutely generic A&F/AE/Gap/Old Navy dudes out there. These are the cookie cutter dudes whose idea of "dressing up" is throwing on a vertical striped button down shirt of course with sleeves rolled up, shirt untucked (even though the bottom hem is rounded in the front and back FOR tucking, and then wearing cheap black leather shoes (dull and scuffed of course) with some beat up baggy jeans. Maybe a backwards baseball hat.

NOW you're ready to hit the town in style. :rolleyes:

Chinorlz said:
I wish popped collars never existed in the first place. how very lame/preppy/stupid. Don't forget the "livestrong" bracelet and about 3 other rubber bracelets to complete the sh*ttiest look known to man.

...and pink shirts to boot? Man, talk about the most absolutely generic A&F/AE/Gap/Old Navy dudes out there. These are the cookie cutter dudes whose idea of "dressing up" is throwing on a vertical striped button down shirt of course with sleeves rolled up, shirt untucked (even though the bottom hem is rounded in the front and back FOR tucking, and then wearing cheap black leather shoes (dull and scuffed of course) with some beat up baggy jeans. Maybe a backwards baseball hat.

NOW you're ready to hit the town in style. :rolleyes:

Welcome to yuppie America, where no fad goes unfollowed.

bwells46 said:
Welcome to yuppie America, where no fad goes unfollowed.

It isn't a fad unless it is followed.

Dakota said:
Unfortunately around the University of Virginia popped collars on Polos (and LaCoste) have been all the rage . . . especially among the wealthy party-hard southern frat-boy scene. That and seersucker shorts . . . I do believe the trend has faded some since my first year, but you still see it, and girls have started joining in as well. I'll never understand . . . if it was supposed to be worn that way we wouldn't call it a collar . . . it would be a "neck sheath" or something.

haha.. You mean like foreskin for your neck?

i know this is further off topic, but i'm thinking that if people who dress like this are running rampant on campuses such as uva, there will even less datable guys on campus... right now, i think i would too superficial to look into the soul of a guy in a popped collar, cuz i'd keep trying to fix his shirt first. ;)

I think you all missed the biggest fad of them all. The people who wear FAKE A$$ scrubs with words written on their bums. I freakin hate them. Or the people who where scrubs to undergrad classes cause they think they're the shiz....ERRRRRRRRR.

Flopotomist said:

In the ONLY sort-of defense of the DDS guy, I get that part of what you're saying. I got 1/2 way through my M.S. and felt a winge of "uh-oh, I'm not gonna like this", but decided to stick it out because I thought it was just grad school pressure talking. I practiced solo for 2 years, then felt the twinge, so I opted on for the Ph.D. But the twinge would not go away, so finally I said "Fudge it all!" and switched courses. I am just as busy, but 100000000x happier. So, I know that after finishing the MD I'll be happy (at least I don't feel the twinge now that I've switched, and it's been a year now!)

But - you are dead on with the entitlement display! I haven't read all this guy's posts, but I wonder if he's actually practiced for very long as a dentist! Regardless, he needs a serious dose of reality, and I think the adcoms are just the people to give it to him.

Jon Davis said:
I think you all missed the biggest fad of them all. The people who wear FAKE A$$ scrubs with words written on their bums. I freakin hate them. Or the people who where scrubs to undergrad classes cause they think they're the shiz....ERRRRRRRRR.

Hey, I wear scrubs to school sometimes... but it's because I have to go right to class to work (in a hospital).

As for popped collars, I'm against them. They look stupid... very mtvish and annoying. I'm willing to bet this dentist dude wears popped collars.

KifsterDDS said:
Going to a top-tier university makes an enormous difference, and you're fooling yourself if you think that students at less competitive schools are equivalent to those at more competitive schools. No, it doesn't "excuse" a poor GPA as a poor GPA is rarely excusable, but it certainly makes getting a poor GPA easier for those who have a tendency to screw-around in college, now doesn't it.

More importantly, regarding my experience, I am a doctor and that should go a long, long way in getting into medical school. While you were waiting in line for beer at some sausage-fest of a fraternity party, I was taking trauma call, reading CT scans, treating infections, treating facial injuries, rounding on patients, and ordering treatment for these patients...just like the people on admissions committees. So yes, my experience is vastly ahead of any college student applying to medical school. Unlike the typical college student who almost certainly has a horrendously naive view of what healthcare is and involves, I have been DOING it for the past year and a half. No college student has that kind of experience. Volunteering in some clinic, doing research (which I've done) or shadowing a doctor is worthless in comparison. I have been autonomously practicing what is essentially a specialty of medicine, and simply wish to change focus. I'd say that makes anyone in my shoes amply qualified to be a mere Freshman in medical school, and thus I think my anger at this SC school is justified--especially considering the fact that they didn't even wait for my MCAT scores!

After all, what exactly is it that medical schools seek? People who know why they want to get into medicine? People who know what's involved in being a doctor? People who can make it through a doctorate program? People who have a genuine interest in the well-being of others? What more could someone possibly do above and beyond what I've done to demonstrate these?

I'm not wallowing in self-pity nor am I looking for sympathy. I'm just venting. I applied to eleven schools and didn't expect to be offered interviews at every one let alone get into every one. But I do think my application deserves a certain measure of consideration from each of these schools.

Don't worry about the rejection, like everyone has told you the medical school you applied to probably perfers to accept in state applicants. Although that sucks, that is the game that is being played. Stay optimistic. I understand you're need to vent, whether we like to admit it or not it sucks to be rejected.

As Riceman said earlier - popped collars aren't just an east-coast thing. Although, I must admit, UCLA isn't necessarily a good sampling of the average LA population, such absurdities are running RAMPANT. While we're bitching about terrible fashion, let us not forget the immortal jelly-roll bearing VELOUR TRACKSUIT (always in brown or rose. Sometimes orange.) or the amazingly bad FRAMELESS, HUGE SUNGLASSES with the RHINESTONES. Oh man. Yuck. It doesn't look good on J-Lo, and it certainly doesn't look good on you.

Juicy couture, also, needs to be consumed in a pit of fire.