First Rejection........

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

KifsterDDS

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
From the University of South Carolina. I can't believe these f-ing a$$holes. Didn't even wait for my MCAT scores! Although my undergrad gades sucked (but from a top-tier university), I've since gone on to get masters (from a top-tier university), a D.D.S., and more hospital-based clinical healthcare experience than virtually anyone applying to medical school. Besides, for all they know, I could have scored a 45 on my MCAT!

I'm beginning to think that medical school admissions is every bit as arbitrary as dental school admissions, and that they accept or reject people by rolling a pair of dice.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm really sorry that you received the rejection. Are you a South Carolina resident? Nevertheless, I'm sure you applied to a variety of schools. Don't let this discourage you. I'm sure once you get your first interview you will realize things will be ok. The first rejection is always hard, just stay strong.

Good luck:)

it's absolutely arbitrary and heavily dependent on undergrad achievements (at least for schools that use formulas or automated screening) mcats don't necessarily count for as much as people think.

that being said, hang in there. schools that have manual screens are more likely to view your achievements and at least grant you an interview.

Members don't see this ad :)
I forgot to tell you something. You might want to email them and ask why they didnt wait for your august scores. It cant hurt to ask, it could be that they just overlooked the fact that you are taking the August MCAT--I hope thats the case :D

If you arent a resident of that state, and don't have absolute stellar scores, no way you are getting anything there. It's a given that state schools have a high preference for instate applicants it's a given, and they get money because they do prefer.

Yes, South Carolina was indeed a public school, so yes, my chances there were less than they would be had I been in-state.

Virginia schools, unfortunately, do not favor Virginia residents as much as other state schools favor their respective states' residents. For example, my class in dental school at MCV, which started as 85 (dwindling down to 72 by graduation) consisted of about 30 to 40 out of state students.

University of Virginia, when I was an entering Freshman in 1993, was 40% out of state.

Virginia doesn't protect its own as other states do. South Carolina, I'm sure, heavily favors SC residents. Of course, I find it to be totally offensive and obnoxious in the extreme for them to reject me in such a fashion.

SOUNDMAN said:
If you arent a resident of that state, and don't have absolute stellar scores, no way you are getting anything there. It's a given that state schools have a high preference for instate applicants it's a given, and they get money because they do prefer.

KifsterDDS said:
Yes, South Carolina was indeed a public school, so yes, my chances there were less than they would be had I been in-state.

Virginia schools, unfortunately, do not favor Virginia residents as much as other state schools favor their respective states' residents. For example, my class in dental school at MCV, which started as 85 (dwindling down to 72 by graduation) consisted of about 30 to 40 out of state students.

University of Virginia, when I was an entering Freshman in 1993, was 40% out of state.

Virginia doesn't protect its own as other states do. South Carolina, I'm sure, heavily favors SC residents. Of course, I find it to be totally offensive and obnoxious in the extreme for them to reject me in such a fashion.
Yes but they also have multiple schools in virginia.

KifsterDDS said:
From the University of South Carolina. I can't believe these f-ing a$$holes. Didn't even wait for my MCAT scores! Although my undergrad gades sucked (but from a top-tier university), I've since gone on to get masters (from a top-tier university), a D.D.S., and more hospital-based clinical healthcare experience than virtually anyone applying to medical school. Besides, for all they know, I could have scored a 45 on my MCAT!

I'm beginning to think that medical school admissions is every bit as arbitrary as dental school admissions, and that they accept or reject people by rolling a pair of dice.

I dont feel sorry for you! Suck it up and keep moving! You are not special b/c you went to a top tier uni....And look you got a D.D.S.....why switch? And obviously scores are not all that matter. Maybe your other experiences were sorry!

And plus are even a south carolina res.?

For once I am not sorry for being mean (and I am normally really nice).. But you come off as a prick!

riceman04 said:
I dont feel sorry for you! Suck it up and keep moving! You are not special b/c you went to a top tier uni....And look you got a D.D.S.....why switch? And obviously scores are not all that matter. Maybe your other experiences were sorry!

For once I am not sorry for being mean (and I am normally really nice).. But you come off as a prick!

I agree with riceman. Going to a fancy pants university does not excuse you from sorry gpa. What's up with the, " I have the best experiences compare to any premed"......yeesh..what did you do, cure AIDS? Even that is mediocre compare to some of the stuff people did as "extracurriculars" ...there are some amazing people out there... (hahaha..and yes riceman is normally nice..)

riceman04 said:
(and I am normally really nice)..

True! he is normally nice

:D

Wow things got crazy in here...as we all know a rejection does hurt. But I do agree with the others in the matter that what ever university you doesnt really matter. I'm from a small university and was accepted to almost every graduate school I applied--->including the ivys. (As for med school, we will see:) )

But anyways, I think we should all calm down...

BTW, Rice is an awesome school, but BAYLOR is BETTER!!! hehe:)

Going to a top-tier university makes an enormous difference, and you're fooling yourself if you think that students at less competitive schools are equivalent to those at more competitive schools. No, it doesn't "excuse" a poor GPA as a poor GPA is rarely excusable, but it certainly makes getting a poor GPA easier for those who have a tendency to screw-around in college, now doesn't it.

More importantly, regarding my experience, I am a doctor and that should go a long, long way in getting into medical school. While you were waiting in line for beer at some sausage-fest of a fraternity party, I was taking trauma call, reading CT scans, treating infections, treating facial injuries, rounding on patients, and ordering treatment for these patients...just like the people on admissions committees. So yes, my experience is vastly ahead of any college student applying to medical school. Unlike the typical college student who almost certainly has a horrendously naive view of what healthcare is and involves, I have been DOING it for the past year and a half. No college student has that kind of experience. Volunteering in some clinic, doing research (which I've done) or shadowing a doctor is worthless in comparison. I have been autonomously practicing what is essentially a specialty of medicine, and simply wish to change focus. I'd say that makes anyone in my shoes amply qualified to be a mere Freshman in medical school, and thus I think my anger at this SC school is justified--especially considering the fact that they didn't even wait for my MCAT scores!

After all, what exactly is it that medical schools seek? People who know why they want to get into medicine? People who know what's involved in being a doctor? People who can make it through a doctorate program? People who have a genuine interest in the well-being of others? What more could someone possibly do above and beyond what I've done to demonstrate these?

I'm not wallowing in self-pity nor am I looking for sympathy. I'm just venting. I applied to eleven schools and didn't expect to be offered interviews at every one let alone get into every one. But I do think my application deserves a certain measure of consideration from each of these schools.

riceman04 said:

Members don't see this ad :)
KifsterDDS said:
Going to a top-tier university makes an enormous difference, and you're fooling yourself if you think that students at less competitive schools are equivalent to those at more competitive schools. No, it doesn't "excuse" a poor GPA as a poor GPA is rarely excusable, but it certainly makes getting a poor GPA easier for those who have a tendency to screw-around in college, now doesn't it.

More importantly, regarding my experience, I am a doctor and that should go a long, long way in getting into medical school. While you were waiting in line for beer at some sausage-fest of a fraternity party, I was taking trauma call, reading CT scans, treating infections, treating facial injuries, rounding on patients, and ordering treatment for these patients...just like the people on admissions committees. So yes, my experience is vastly ahead of any college student applying to medical school. Unlike the typical college student who almost certainly has a horrendously naive view of what healthcare is and involves, I have been DOING it for the past year and a half. No college student has that kind of experience. Volunteering in some clinic, doing research (which I've done) or shadowing a doctor is worthless in comparison. I have been autonomously practicing what is essentially a specialty of medicine, and simply wish to change focus. I'd say that makes anyone in my shoes amply qualified to be a mere Freshman in medical school, and thus I think my anger at this SC school is justified--especially considering the fact that they didn't even wait for my MCAT scores!

After all, what exactly is it that medical schools seek? People who know why they want to get into medicine? People who know what's involved in being a doctor? People who can make it through a doctorate program? People who have a genuine interest in the well-being of others? What more could someone possibly do above and beyond what I've done to demonstrate these?

I'm not wallowing in self-pity nor am I looking for sympathy. I'm just venting. I applied to eleven schools and didn't expect to be offered interviews at every one let alone get into every one. But I do think my application deserves a certain measure of consideration from each of these schools.

with that kind of attitude and outlook on medical school process, i wouldnt be surprised if you got rejected from all 11 schools...

;)

jtank said:
with that kind of attitude and outlook on medical school process, i wouldnt be surprised if you got rejected from all 11 schools...

Aww, jtank, you fed the troll!

KifsterDDS said:

wow. no wonder you got rejected! i wouldn't want you as my doctor either. good thing my personal statement doesn't look anything like your above post :idea:

Looks like we've got another admissions expert here. Tell me, Mr. Expert, what other flaws do you see in my application?

Joonie said:
wow. no wonder you got rejected! i wouldn't want you as my doctor either. good thing my personal statement doesn't look anything like your above post :idea:

KifsterDDS said:
Looks like we've got another admissions expert here. Tell me, Mr. Expert, what other flaws do you see in my application?

mr. smarty pants, i agree you have great experiences, but a foul attitude.

not my doctor!

edfig99 said:
it's absolutely arbitrary and heavily dependent on undergrad achievements (at least for schools that use formulas or automated screening) mcats don't necessarily count for as much as people think.

says who?

KifsterDDS said:
I have been DOING it for the past year and a half. No college student has that kind of experience. Volunteering in some clinic, doing research (which I've done) or shadowing a doctor is worthless in comparison. I have been autonomously practicing what is essentially a specialty of medicine, and simply wish to change focus.

You think being a dentist for a year and a half should get you into med school? Med schools are less likely to accept people from other health professions, especially dentistry, because you have already gone through training for a health-related career. Med schools, especially public ones like south carolina, have an obligation to train qualified people to serve the community. It doesn't make sense from a social standpoint to train one person for two jobs.

So you want to "change focus." Residents who don't like their chosen specialty can't revert back, why should you be able to? You chose dentistry first, accept it and move on.

Unless you are highly skilled in oral surgery and this training has prepared you for a brilliant career as a plastic surgeon, don't count on becoming a doc without a lot of resistance. Most likely your academic credentials and clinical experience aren't holding you back, you're motivations are.

KifsterDDS said:
Tell me, Mr. Expert, what other flaws do you see in my application?

You come off as an @sshole, and you probably are one.

KifsterDDS said:

Lol--must be a troll

TheMightyAngus said:
Residents who don't like their chosen specialty can't revert back, why should you be able to?

Hey, Dr. Carter did it. :)

I wouldn't call becoming an M.D. instead of a dentist merely a "change in focus" though.

i think very few of us on this board actually know the ramifications on your denistry degree. Your differnt yes, your are probably more experienced have been though dental school. Yes you probably got more clinical expreience. Kudos to you, however your ego is way beyond what you actaully are. There is no need to rub it in the face of others who dont have a denistry degree, or did thier masters at a top uni, and have unsurpassed clinical expreience.

I hope that you applied to a wide variety of schools, even the lower tier med schools. And lastly, dont get all pissy on everyone else and bust out comparisons on what kids were doing in college while you were treating patients or whatever.

Poeple have already mentioned the basis of your rejection most likely wanst due to school realted stuff, more like state issues. Ring the school and ask them why they rejected you.

Its early in the game and dont worry so much, there is a long way to go before the majority of us start seeing interviews, let alone acceptances,

Good Luck

jon stewart said:
i think very few of us on this board actually know the ramifications on your denistry degree. Your differnt yes, your are probably more experienced have been though dental school. Yes you probably got more clinical expreience. Kudos to you, however your ego is way beyond what you actaully are. There is no need to rub it in the face of others who dont have a denistry degree, or did thier masters at a top uni, and have unsurpassed clinical expreience.

I hope that you applied to a wide variety of schools, even the lower tier med schools. And lastly, dont get all pissy on everyone else and bust out comparisons on what kids were doing in college while you were treating patients or whatever.

Poeple have already mentioned the basis of your rejection most likely wanst due to school realted stuff, more like state issues. Ring the school and ask them why they rejected you.

Its early in the game and dont worry so much, there is a long way to go before the majority of us start seeing interviews, let alone acceptances,

Good Luck

You might consider a spell check next time before you post.

tacrum43 said:
You might consider a spell check next time before you post.

i know my spelling and grammar is probably way off.

gozeemer said:
Lol--must be a troll

Nah, I just think he's a prick; after all, if it walks like a duck, quacks like a duck...

...you might.
:)

tacrum43 said:
Hey, Dr. Carter did it. :)

I wouldn't call becoming an M.D. instead of a dentist merely a "change in focus" though.

KifsterDDS said:

Do you mean the grade-inflated top tier schools? Cough cough Harvard cough cough ;)

Yes, I would consider what you have done to be far ahead of what most premeds have done. However, let me advance a theory on your rejection. Maybe they saw you were a dentist and didn't buy your reason for wanting to go to medical school? It wouldn't be the first time someone was rejected for this reason.

Im kinda curious. What is your motivation for going to med school? People always say, "be a dentist", blah blah blah... what did you not get out of being a dentist that you will as an md?

You guys may have already covered it, but South Carolina does not take "out of state students".

I know they say that they do, but I'm a resident here and as such have been in several meetings with Dr. Hoppmann, the dean of admissions, and from his mouth in the past 7 years, only 30 or so have been out of state, but these were out of state with ties, meaning they attended a South Carolina college, have family ties to the state. South Carolina has only 80 spots and b/c they recieve public money they give special consideration to improving the medical community in state. It does SC no good to train a doctor to practice from anywhere but the Palmetto State.

What I recomend, and sure most of you have, look at one of those books that outline all medical schools
http://search.barnesandnoble.com/bookSearch/isbnInquiry.asp?r=1&isbn=0375764208
Apply to all public schools in your state... and if you are brave some public in neighboring states, but check the websites for admission statistics. ie East Carolina (NC) says that I would be wasting my money applying, only NC residents. Then look for private schools in your area, apply to those as well. Bottom line is you want to be a doctor. Do not apply to one or two schools and hope for the best unless you are certain you will get in. Apply to as many as you can afford.

Another tip: Someone two years ahead of me, gpa 3.45 and MCAT 25 (8,9,8) is now attending Boston University's Medical School. He asked them after a year or so, what pushed him over the top, after all he is an average applicant. They said that b/c he was from a different part of the country and the private schools generally like to diversify the student population.

Thats it I'm getting off the soap box. Good Luck all

TheMightyAngus said:
So you want to "change focus." Residents who don't like their chosen specialty can't revert back, why should you be able to? You chose dentistry first, accept it and move on.

Not that it matters for this discussion (nor do I think this discussion should be prolonged), but you actually can change your specialty. I know someone who did two residencies...one in anesthesiology and the other in neurology, I believe, because he changed his mind about what he wanted to do. Choose wisely in MS4, but it's not a "you can never go back" kind of situation.

What makes you think I'm rubbing anything in anyone's face? Didn't I admit that, despite my experiences since college, my application had a major (and yes, embarrassing) fault? I was simply supporting my claim that SC's rejection was inappropriate under the circumstances.

There was no need for you or anyone else to think I was trying to belittle my fellow applicants. At least, not until a couple of you tried to bring me down.

jon stewart said:

Good Luck

Dear SC Med School:

Your rejection was inappropriate, how could you deflate my ego so...

I wonder how many of these they get a year...

KifsterDDS said:

Everyone else who is applying to med school right now thinks that their application deserves a certain measure of consideration from each of the schools to which they have submitted their personal life and accomplishments. Yes, so you may have had many accomplishments.....but that alone will not set you apart. You come in here whining and boo hooing about your school being top notch but obviously have nothing to show for it. And it is obvious that most of these med schools do not consider students from "lower tier universities" less qualified (qualifications are what it boils down to....not just equivalency) than many of us who attend(ed) those expensive ass elitist universities.

Have you ever stopped to consider that maybe adcoms are asking why you are just now realizing, after completing dental school and establishing that wonderful life of yours, that you want an MD? Yes people change their minds all the time. But when you put as much effort into a program as you put into dental school people start to wonder whether or not you are doing this for yourself or just to satisfy others. As far as I am concerned you are no more qualified than many who are applying to med school. Suck it up and deal with it....and if you are only venting (read complaining) then do it elsewhere. The last thing people want to hear about is some doctor (read community idol) complaining.

Keep moving!

KifsterDDS said:

Any one who posts their supposed qualifications and basically berates the program just to do so is looking for pity. Be real to (and for) yourself for once!

KifsterDDS said:
More importantly, regarding my experience, I am a doctor and that should go a long, long way in getting into medical school. While you were waiting in line for beer at some sausage-fest of a fraternity party, I was taking trauma call, reading CT scans, treating infections, treating facial injuries, rounding on patients, and ordering treatment for these patients...just like the people on admissions committees.

Haw haw, maybe it's because you're clearly a giant toolbag and it showed through on your application? :love:

And wait, you're ranting about top schools and GPA and you went to UVA? Please. UVA is one of the best publics, but it is sure as hell not UChicago when it comes to grade deflation and competition.

KifsterDDS said:
What makes you think I'm rubbing anything in anyone's face? Didn't I admit that, despite my experiences since college, my application had a major (and yes, embarrassing) fault? I was simply supporting my claim that SC's rejection was inappropriate under the circumstances.

There was no need for you or anyone else to think I was trying to belittle my fellow applicants. At least, not until a couple of you tried to bring me down.
State schools are state funded, and thus receive various mandates. One of those mandates may be to educate the students from (or having ties to) that state. How can you call a rejection based on those grounds inappropriate? A 45T 4.0 Princeton chemical engineer would also be, as is appropriate, rejected from that school if she is not from that state.

Sundarban1 said:
Dear SC Med School:

Your rejection was inappropriate, how could you deflate my ego so...

I wonder how many of these they get a year...

completely off topic, but i SAW one of those when i was in vegas over the summer -- a "popped" collar. it made the guy sorta look like a jackass although i shouldn't judge by the clothes he wore. i've never seen a live one before. :) is it an east coast thing? i heard it was...

If you think he's arrogant here, check out this previous post...

KifsterDDS said:
I went to the University of Virginia for my undergrad which is frequently neck-and-neck with UC Berkeley as the top public university in the country.

Despite the fact I was a complete goof-off in high school, I had no trouble getting into UVA because I was much better than the average high school student.

When I got to UVA, however, and didn't change my work habits, I found myself finishing with a GPA well below 3.0. Despite having DAT (Dental Admissions Test) scores in the 97th percentile, I was rejected from dental school TWICE until I finished my masters degree from another top-notch public school with a high GPA. (I got into this masters program because my father happened to be close friends with the chair of the biology department, and needless to say, some serious strings were pulled to get me in....probationarily at first).

Some of my dental school classmates who got in right out of college went to **** schools like JMU, VCU, and Old Dominion, finishing with GPAs around 3.4 to 3.6 and DATs less than mine. They'd have been hammered at UVA and Berkeley.

While there was no excuse for me finishing with a sub 3.0 GPA at UVA, it was certainly easier for me to do it there than at schools like JMU and VCU, who accept the kinds of average high school students against whom I had no difficulty competing back in high school. The thing about UVA and UC Berkeley and other top-tier public schools is that they are great financial deals that attract students who are truly ivy-league material but don't wish to pay ivy-league tuitions. Those are the kinds of students against whom you compete at UVA and Berkeley.

Too bad Daddy's not friends with anyone at USC!

Who is this cat? Well, I hope my state schools don't accept this cat either, fool should check into a hospital and get some help, YO!

Joonie said:
completely off topic, but i SAW one of those when i was in vegas over the summer -- a "popped" collar. it made the guy sorta look like a jackass although i shouldn't judge by the clothes he wore. i've never seen a live one before. :) is it an east coast thing? i heard it was...

Yes, it's definitely an east coast thing. I saw my first one in person yesterday. It wasn't pretty. :)

i will bet he or she gets rejected everywhere....who wants to bet..i have 2 dollars that says REJECT for attitude, it's a good thing they did not interview the OP, who can say wasted trip.

actually the OP's posts remind me of the 23rd "no-no personal statement" released in the top 22 personal statements from uc davis. if you don't have a copy, this last one is an example of what not to write..

and don't worry guys, it's ok to be normal: i actually have hung out with some adcom people -- some actually happen to enjoy going to what the OP calls "sausage fests." ok well they didn't actually prefer frat parties we went club-hopping. but you know what i mean :)

screw it i'm weighing in with everybody else...

alright, i'll agree that DDS-boy's post (and then his even more offensive defense of that post) is just a little arrogant (just to add on that, my guess is that SC probably has mandatory cutoffs on UNDERGRAD gpa's for out of state applicants, which could be why he was rejected before they even got his MCAT...in that case it obviously wouldn't matter how many grad degrees he has), but why the hell are we all so offended by his DDS degree (sounds like everybody here including myself needs a competition check)?? look, if you have your DDS, i'll admit it's a little impressive, and you probably DO have more knowledge about physiology and about healthcare your run-of-the-mill undergrad. BUT, having a DDS doesn't ENTITLE you to crap (it apparently doesn't entitle you to maturity). if you have an MS and then a DDS, you should be old enough not to pout when you get rejected. you're only better than an undergrad if you act like it...

At least he has his answer to "What would you do if you didn't get into med school?" in interviews lined up: "I'd run home to mommy and pout about how the big bad adcoms won't share their acceptances with me." +pity+

On another note, I can't say for sure, but I thought the popped collar fad is more Greek vs. independent rather than East vs. West coast. All I can say is, I'm a card-carrying member of the Anti-Popped Collar group on Facebook.

WholeLottaGame7 said:
At least he has his answer to "What would you do if you didn't get into med school?" in interviews lined up: "I'd run home to mommy and pout about how the big bad adcoms won't share their acceptances with me." +pity+

On another note, I can't say for sure, but I thought the popped collar fad is more Greek vs. independent rather than East vs. West coast. All I can say is, I'm a card-carrying member of the Anti-Popped Collar group on Facebook.

Uhmmm...what's a popped collar? :oops:

titoincali said:
Uhmmm...what's a popped collar? :oops:

yeah, what the heck is that? someone link a pic.

fiddler