First semester of Biology

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Cozell

Busy with College
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok so i just started my first semester of Biology on monday. I have been reading the textbook and I noticed that most of the information is not directly asked in a question like I would find at the end of the chapter. Its like I study but then get asked a question that is hardly related to the material I studied.

1. Does anyone else feel this way.

2. Is there something im doing wrong.

It is still extremely early in the semester but i feel that this trend will not go away and maybe im not reading deep enough into the text or something unless this is what it is that makes biology a tough course the fact that you wont be asked what you studied.

3. And does anyone have any tips for effective studying of biology.

Thanks guys and girls.

Members don't see this ad.

Yes, read often and read to comprehend. I find that reading alone has helped me to succeed in Biology. That and memorization..

With Bio what I did was read by myself, and when it was time for the exam I had study groups. For me the best way to learn the material was reciting it to my peers days before the exam. Hope that helps :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Do you have lecture notes at your school?

In both genetics and gen bio 1 and 2, i've found that studying only the lecture notes and not touching the book at all will get me like B+/A- range scores on tests. If you want the A, you'll need to use the book thoroughly, but who needs an "A" anyways?

This is just at my school, maybe you don't have lecture notes, maybe your profs use the tests provided by the publishing company, I don't know! Works for me though.

I have never used a textbook in my life...just go to class, take notes and make use of office hours if there is any confusion. Then again now that i think about it, I never studied more than three hours for any test...

Then again now that i think about it, I never studied more than three hours for any test...

This will change :D To the OP, what I would do is while reading the text, constantly have your brain thinking, "How could a twisted evil professor use this to screw with my head?" While most professors are pretty straight forward, having this thought process will get you ready for those really off the wall questions you may see.

Do you have lecture notes at your school?

In both genetics and gen bio 1 and 2, i've found that studying only the lecture notes and not touching the book at all will get me like B+/A- range scores on tests. If you want the A, you'll need to use the book thoroughly, but who needs an "A" anyways?

This is just at my school, maybe you don't have lecture notes, maybe your profs use the tests provided by the publishing company, I don't know! Works for me though.

Yes I get lecture notes she recommended we read the chapter before class and then we have lecture take notes ect.

When you say use the book thoroughly how thorough are we talking should I read the chapter 2-3 times over methodically then study lecture notes extensively because yes the A is O so important (To me anyway).

This will change :D To the OP, what I would do is while reading the text, constantly have your brain thinking, "How could a twisted evil professor use this to screw with my head?" While most professors are pretty straight forward, having this thought process will get you ready for those really off the wall questions you may see.

:thumbup: I like that approach I think as I realized that some of the Q's at the end of the chapter are kinda off the wall I started thinking a little more like that but I will try that further tonight Thanks.

I have never used a textbook in my life...just go to class, take notes and make use of office hours if there is any confusion. Then again now that i think about it, I never studied more than three hours for any test...

Are you in college, and if so have you taken any Pre req yet (Bio/Chem/Ochem/Physics) and if yes to all of these did you get the A in those classes. I just dont see how someone can manage a good grade without studying more than 3 hours.

Thanks guys.

Yes I am a college Senior and have finished all the pre-reqs with a's.

Ok so i just started my first semester of Biology on monday. I have been reading the textbook and I noticed that most of the information is not directly asked in a question like I would find at the end of the chapter. Its like I study but then get asked a question that is hardly related to the material I studied.

1. Does anyone else feel this way.

2. Is there something im doing wrong.

It is still extremely early in the semester but i feel that this trend will not go away and maybe im not reading deep enough into the text or something unless this is what it is that makes biology a tough course the fact that you wont be asked what you studied.

3. And does anyone have any tips for effective studying of biology.

Thanks guys and girls.

I too am in my first semester of biology!! I am kind of feeling the same way you are.. I think once I have the first quiz or exam it will be easier to gauge what material is supposed to be known, For now I am basically just memorizing and reading EVERYTHING.

Good luck! Report back with how your first exam goes. I will as well.

I hear a lot of people that just do not get books. I wish I had the guts to did it. That would be a ton of money that could go towards a tutor or whatever else I needed. I find I only really use my book in calculus.

Every biology prof is different. You need to get a feel for what type of questions they ask, so when you read and go over lectures you can pretty much point out whats important, and whats just nice extra knowledge.

I always thought Bio was so subjective compared to my chemistry classes, but in related Biology is really all about memorization, and very little to do with mechanics until you get to higher levels. I would know all the bold terms in your book, and know all the different figures - because again 90% of freshman bio is pure memorization.

I have really good marks in every science class I took (except physics II lol), and rarely do I pound the book. I skim for what I need to know. I mainly focus on class notes, because thats what the teacher thought was important enough to cover in class.

...... on another note I start class next monday, and need to survive Analytical Chem, and P Chem 2. I wish I could go back to basic bio =)

I too am in my first semester of biology!! I am kind of feeling the same way you are.. I think once I have the first quiz or exam it will be easier to gauge what material is supposed to be known, For now I am basically just memorizing and reading EVERYTHING.

Good luck! Report back with how your first exam goes. I will as well.

I hear a lot of people that just do not get books. I wish I had the guts to did it. That would be a ton of money that could go towards a tutor or whatever else I needed. I find I only really use my book in calculus.

Ok man ill let you know how I do our first quiz is actually in about 2 weeks.

Would you care to further enlighten me as to how you managed this without any textbooks and with less than 3 hours of study time. Im not being sarcastic ill take your word that you actually made those grades under those stipulations but i am very curious as to how a HUMAN BEING could manage such a feat. If in fact you mean you never studied more than 3 hours between exams for that exam which I find ludachris.

Every biology prof is different. You need to get a feel for what type of questions they ask, so when you read and go over lectures you can pretty much point out whats important, and whats just nice extra knowledge.

I always thought Bio was so subjective compared to my chemistry classes, but in related Biology is really all about memorization, and very little to do with mechanics until you get to higher levels. I would know all the bold terms in your book, and know all the different figures - because again 90% of freshman bio is pure memorization.

I have really good marks in every science class I took (except physics II lol), and rarely do I pound the book. I skim for what I need to know. I mainly focus on class notes, because thats what the teacher thought was important enough to cover in class.

...... on another note I start class next monday, and need to survive Analytical Chem, and P Chem 2. I wish I could go back to basic bio =)

Goodluck in Pchem 2 and A chem, thanks for the advice bro.

I am not the "average" person. I have some photogenic memory capabilities. I also take biology class notes in an odd fashion. I right them down on notecards and the night before the test just pound them into my head.

While it has worked amazing for me, I can not say how this method will work for other students.

I am not the "average" person. I have some photogenic memory capabilities. I also take biology class notes in an odd fashion. I right them down on notecards and the night before the test just pound them into my head.

While it has worked amazing for me, I can not say how this method will work for other students.

yes flashcards, I forgot. I did have at least a 100 flashcards that I drilled myself on before test, and would go through them multiple times a day during test weeks.

Good advise.

I agree, notecards worked really well for me too. Additionally, I think if you can go through the diagrams and pictures and explain them out loud, that's a good indication of your knowledge. Some of my science
Profs just lectured from diagrams in the books.

So what are u learning right now in your first semester of bio?
I went to UCSD, so the lower div bio classes may be a little different than yours.

Memorize, memorize, memorize...Honestly, the forgetting curve is spot on. Once you get out of lecture you should try to at least review the things that were fuzzy to you within the hour. You will be surprised at how much more you are able to recall when you are actually preparing for the exam. Good luck! If your BIO 1 class is anything like it was here for me you will always feel like you are drinking from a fire hydrant on full! Good luck!

Ok, kinda slow with the update but better late than never.

I took my first Biology quiz last week and guess what, I got a 100%. I realized what my problem was and its that the first few sections in the first few chapters is about the big picture and the big picture can be rather general and lead to questions outside of direct text. Well in the more direct chapters I saw more definition based right/wrong questions and I find that much easier to digest.

Any more tips would be helpful because this was just a quiz and I have exams next week.

What I am really having trouble with now is General Chemistry, we did polyoxyanions last week and naming ionic compounds ect. now we are on to balancing chemical equations this stuff is a bit tougher than bio which I feel is the desert at the buffet now.

Thanks guys.

Ok, kinda slow with the update but better late than never.

I took my first Biology quiz last week and guess what, I got a 100%. I realized what my problem was and its that the first few sections in the first few chapters is about the big picture and the big picture can be rather general and lead to questions outside of direct text. Well in the more direct chapters I saw more definition based right/wrong questions and I find that much easier to digest.

Any more tips would be helpful because this was just a quiz and I have exams next week.

What I am really having trouble with now is General Chemistry, we did polyoxyanions last week and naming ionic compounds ect. now we are on to balancing chemical equations this stuff is a bit tougher than bio which I feel is the desert at the buffet now.

Thanks guys.

How is Bio going?

Thought I would check in. Don't know if you remember but I am also in my first semester of bio.

As it stands right now I have 107% in the class:D

Have my midterm coming up! Hoping for an A! Been busting my butt studying. Awesome seeing my hard work pay off! Hopefully all is well with you! Keep working hard and stay motivated!

B

As said, it depends on the class and professor. My first semester bio class was all off of the lecturer's notes and the specific readings he assigned; I didn't open that book once. Currently for my A&P, its all memorization; there is no critical thinking applied at all. The only reason I use the book is to look at the structures with better detail. I didn't pay for my book, but if I was told to buy it, I most likely would not have. Now take a turn to my microbio class; the teacher may explain something, usually complicated like peptidoglycan synthesis and I have no idea what he's saying, but if I look in my book it has a nice labeled diagram with steps for each part of the process.

Not to knock on anyone's preferred methods of study; but don't just memorize. Plugging and chugging will get you nowhere. You may remember the information for the amount of time you need it, but if you really want to learn it, you should apply it to something. Yes flash cards are a fine method of studying; but in genetics where you have to apply the ideals learned in class, it doesn't make sense to just memorize things. My personal method is to turn my notes or topics into questions and quiz myself. This may sound like more work, but your brain definitely remembers it better when you have to solve an answer rather than just remember it. And the day/night before my test, I pull up a word document, and go over all of the topics that will be on the test. First I write everything I can think of out of the top of my head; then look in the book or notes to get the things I don't know. For me, this system of constantly challenging yourself and looking up the location on the notes or the book, really plants the ideas in my head. For example, if you were looking for the potato-chips aisle in the grocery store, you would look for the index signs at the top that tell what is in each aisle. The next time you go to the store, you will remember exactly what aisle it was on because you looked for it yourself. I hope this makes sense. I'm not bagging just memorizing; just pointing out that it will not always work. :)

I used to have some photogenic memory capabilities, then I got Lyme the summer before my freshman yea and that went down the drain!

Have you tried flashcardmachine.com? It's nice if you don't have time to sit down and hand write the flash cards, typing is way faster for me!

How is Bio going?

Thought I would check in. Don't know if you remember but I am also in my first semester of bio.

As it stands right now I have 107% in the class:D

Have my midterm coming up! Hoping for an A! Been busting my butt studying. Awesome seeing my hard work pay off! Hopefully all is well with you! Keep working hard and stay motivated!

B

Hey glad to hear your doing so well 107% you'll be sliding through the Bio section of the Mcat. With Bio it turns out its just a bunch of time put into trying to memorize everything and anything I don't understand I simply clarify with the Book or Instructor.

Im doing great so far I have actually managed to start slacking off a bit lol I plan to stop that today however Im holding about a 98% average right now. My teacher doesn't let us go above 100. I feel like I may have just bombed a chem test though :oops: ughh Luckily it's only due to procrastination so I can fix that and I have a 96% in Chem before this unknown test grade gets factored in.

Good luck the rest of your semester and Thanks for the encouraging words.

Hey glad to hear your doing so well 107% you'll be sliding through the Bio section of the Mcat. With Bio it turns out its just a bunch of time put into trying to memorize everything and anything I don't understand I simply clarify with the Book or Instructor.

Im doing great so far I have actually managed to start slacking off a bit lol I plan to stop that today however Im holding about a 98% average right now. My teacher doesn't let us go above 100. I feel like I may have just bombed a chem test though :oops: ughh Luckily it's only due to procrastination so I can fix that and I have a 96% in Chem before this unknown test grade gets factored in.

Good luck the rest of your semester and Thanks for the encouraging words.

Congrats on the success! It is such a great feeling isn't it?

I keep trying to imagine the day I get accepted and how happy I will be knowing my hard work has paid off. I know I will be overcome with emotion but only for a brief time because it is just on to the next one after that and to tackle Pod school will be a whole challenge and journey in itself. Nothing is going to stop me though.

When do you plan to apply if you don't mid me asking? Also when do you plan to take the MCAT?

Again congrats and keep up the hard work.

B