First Time Applicant: Should I Apply?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

grandpajames

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey folks,

Here are my stats:

cGPA: 3.38
sGPA: 3.21

MCAT: 24P
PS: 7
VR: 8
BS: 9

Extra-curriculars: Honor Society in Major (Psych), VP of Medlife (Volunteer organization that set-up health clinics in Latin America), Published in "Medical Dialogues" Journal, Lots of volunteer experience abroad and research experience

It's early August and I'm not sure what my chances are of getting into an American MD school. I was planning on applying to two or three just to see what would happen and I do plan on retaking the MCAT's. But should I even send in an application this summer?

Thanks everyone

Members don't see this ad.

Gpa and MCAT are low. Retaking the MCAT and taking a year to raise the GPA would be a good idea IMO. Have you considered DO schools? It might be a waste a money applying to MD schools with those stats right now, but then again i have seen posts were people pulled it off. Well best of luck.

mike911 is correct. If you apply broadly to low tier schools you may receive an acceptance...but the odds are against you. Luckily, a 3.4 GPA seems to be a big jump point in terms of acceptance %, and you're very close to it. Also, your MCAT has room for growth by 1 or 2 points in all three areas. If you do those two things: Get a 3.4+ and a 30+ MCAT you should have a better shot.

Members don't see this ad :)
Median stats for those accepted to DO schools are MCAT 25.5 and cGPA of 3.45. For MD schools it's 31 and 3.65. Work on your numbers first rather than spending a lot of money applying with little chance. If you didn't take a formal classroom prep course, consider doing so. And earn straight As over this next year, including some upper-level science to beef up your BCPM GPA.

Hey everyone,

Thanks for the advice. Just wanted to mention a couple of things though:

Mainly, those stats are after my senior year at college. I'm currently enrolled in a Master's program (Bioethics) for the fall and spring. I'm definitely planning on taking the MCATs again, but just wanted to feel out if/when I should apply.

Thanks again everyone!