First time applicant - taking gap year 3.88 GPA/519 MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mapleleaf03

Reaction score
  1. cGPA and sGPA: 3.88/3.76
  2. MCAT score: 519 with 128/128/131/132
  3. State of residence or country of citizenship (if non-US): NC resident - recently a permanent resident but Canadian citizen
  4. Ethnicity and/or race: Asian Indian
  5. Undergraduate institution or category: Large Public school - top 40 school
  6. Clinical experience (volunteer and non-volunteer): 360 hours of paid medical scribing, 50 hours of hospital volunteering, 150 hours of 1 on 1 care giving (no medical care) with pediatric cancer patients
  7. Research experience and productivity: ~600 hours over 4 semesters of research: feels pretty disjointed as I worked on many different projects but not much start to finish and no pubs or posters to come out of it. Took 1 semester to do research for credit. I am continuing in this lab since I'm in the middle of a project and hope to present a poster this summer/fall and finally get a pub.
- Summer research fellowship ($3k award) to do research at the University of Toronto and present a poster at the end of summer symposium. 480 hours research
- 1 semester serving as a research assistant - doing mostly data analysis through the family medicine department for a mental health in Hispanic population project
  1. Shadowing experience and specialties represented: 46 hours of shadowing: Derm, ENT OR, and Oncology -> have a 1st author case report under review with this doctor
  2. Non-clinical volunteering: 160 hours of making craft bags, decorating peds hem/onc clinic, writing holiday cards, and serving lunch for clinic staff through a non-profit
  3. Other extracurricular activities (including athletics, military service, gap year activities, leadership, teaching, etc): -Executive board for the non-clinical volunteering non-profit that I mentioned above.
- 1 semester of anatomy lab tutoring,
- Gap Year: Full time as a medical assistant and weekend volunteering at nursing home to boost clinical and non-clinical volunteering hours
  1. Relevant honors or awards: $3000 undergraduate student research award (not sure if this counts lol)
  2. Anything else not listed you think might be important
Hobbies: playing piano and basketball fan

School List:
Emory University
Vanderbilt University
University of Pittsburgh
University of Colorado
Quinnipiac University
University of Central Florida
University of Miami
USF Health Morsani
Boston University
Tufts
University of Massachusetts
University of North Carolina
Wake Forest University
Albert Einstein COM
Hofstra
Case Western
Ohio State University
University of Cincinnati
Thomas Jefferson University
University of Virginia
VCU
University of Vermont SOM
Tulane SOM
Brody SOM at ECU
Hackensack Meridian SOM
Drexel
Penn State COM
Eastern Virginia SOM
Virginia Tech Carilion SOM
University of Arizona - Phoenix

Thanks for reading

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Thoughts on whether I can mention in other impactful experiences about how I did not have a greencard until my junior year so I was not able to find a job or get many opportunities in the US until after that.
I think you can mention that you are an immigrant and recently got a green card. Consequently, I wouldn't say that getting permanent residency is an "experience." To me, the circumstances that made your family move would fit better.

I think you can mention that you are an immigrant and recently got a green card. Consequently, I wouldn't say that getting permanent residency is an "experience." To me, the circumstances that made your family move would fit better.
Gotcha, I don't want it to seem as though the circumstances were what characterized me as "disadvantaged" as I have lived here my whole life. Though it was only recently could I apply and participate in paid opportunities and in general many research opportunities. Hence why I found a summer fellowship in Canada to pursue.

Also could you provide feedback on the school list and rest of the ECs, I appreciate it!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Also could you provide feedback on the school list and rest of the ECs, I appreciate it!
This is where things depend on when you got US permanent residency status.

I'm presuming a lot of your shadowing is in Canada and not in the US, right? What is the split for your activities (Canada-based vs. US-based)? Any activities outside the US or Canada?

This is where things depend on when you got US permanent residency status.

I'm presuming a lot of your shadowing is in Canada and not in the US, right? What is the split for your activities (Canada-based vs. US-based)? Any activities outside the US or Canada?
My only Canadian activity is the summer research fellowship. All my paid experiences were after that so I was a bit rushed. Shadowing was in the US as well

Reactions: 1 user
You could add these schools to your application:
Washington University (in St. Louis)
Northwestern
Western Michigan
Great thanks for the advice. Any specific reason why? First two seem like far reaches haha

1. cGPA and sGPA: 3.88/3.76
  2. MCAT score: 519 with 128/128/131/132
  3. State of residence or country of citizenship (if non-US): NC resident - recently a permanent resident but Canadian citizen
  4. Ethnicity and/or race: Asian Indian
  5. Undergraduate institution or category: Large Public school - top 40 school
  6. Clinical experience (volunteer and non-volunteer): 360 hours of paid medical scribing, 50 hours of hospital volunteering, 150 hours of 1 on 1 care giving (no medical care) with pediatric cancer patients
  7. Research experience and productivity: ~600 hours over 4 semesters of research: feels pretty disjointed as I worked on many different projects but not much start to finish and no pubs or posters to come out of it. Took 1 semester to do research for credit. I am continuing in this lab since I'm in the middle of a project and hope to present a poster this summer/fall and finally get a pub.
- Summer research fellowship ($3k award) to do research at the University of Toronto and present a poster at the end of summer symposium. 480 hours research
- 1 semester serving as a research assistant - doing mostly data analysis through the family medicine department for a mental health in Hispanic population project
  1. Shadowing experience and specialties represented: 46 hours of shadowing: Derm, ENT OR, and Oncology -> have a 1st author case report under review with this doctor
  2. Non-clinical volunteering: 160 hours of making craft bags, decorating peds hem/onc clinic, writing holiday cards, and serving lunch for clinic staff through a non-profit
  3. Other extracurricular activities (including athletics, military service, gap year activities, leadership, teaching, etc): -Executive board for the non-clinical volunteering non-profit that I mentioned above.
- 1 semester of anatomy lab tutoring,
- Gap Year: Full time as a medical assistant and weekend volunteering at nursing home to boost clinical and non-clinical volunteering hours
  1. Relevant honors or awards: $3000 undergraduate student research award (not sure if this counts lol)
  2. Anything else not listed you think might be important
Hobbies: playing piano and basketball fan

School List:
Emory University
Vanderbilt University
University of Pittsburgh
University of Colorado
Quinnipiac University
University of Central Florida
University of Miami
USF Health Morsani
Boston University