First Time Poster Seeking GRE Advice

Started by rodent88
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

rodent88

New Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi everyone,

I just took the GRE yesterday and was pretty disappointed with my results🙁
V 149, Q 150. I am bad at standardized tests but I was hoping for at least 150 on both. I would take them again, but this semester I am finishing my prereqs and have a heavy load (Chem 2, Physics 2, & Microbiology)-- plus work. I don't have much time to study, and if I do, I worry that I won't do better & may even do worse. But since I am below the cut off for verbal at several schools I'm applying to, is it even worth it to apply to those schools? Or should I do the best I can on my remaining courses & see how it goes? Will they even look at my application with GRE scores that low? Here are my other stats:
GPA total: 3.82
Last 2 semesters: 4.0
Pre-reqs 3.65
Extracurricular: NCAA swim team, full ride scholarship; Special Olympics aquatics coach
PT volunteer hours: 101 outpatient, 51 inpatient

Any advice is much appreciated.
 
I wouldn't bother this late in the game unless you have a specific school that requires higher numbers.
 
They may overlook your GRE because of your high GPA and the fact that you can mesh athletics with your academics. Also I would strongly advise you get some more hours in a 3rd setting (peds or whatever) to strengthen your application.

JD
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Some of the schools I planned to aapply to (e.g., Texas State, UCSF, USC) state that the minimum GRE score they will accept for the verbal GRE is 150 (for some, it's even a little higher). My question is, with a 149 verbal score, is it a waste of money for me to even try to apply? Are they very strict about these cut-offs? Or do people ever get accepted if they are slightly below the cut-off, if everything else looks good?
 
Some schools may let you apply still and be considered. Some won't look at you. Some will let you but you won't take 3 minutes of their time. I recommend asking the schools over the phone how much of an issue it is. Some schools don't require it. University of Utah claims to look mostly at a student's empathy in their essays (their deadline for application is closed).