First Time Poster Seeking GRE Advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rodent88

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I just took the GRE yesterday and was pretty disappointed with my results:(
V 149, Q 150. I am bad at standardized tests but I was hoping for at least 150 on both. I would take them again, but this semester I am finishing my prereqs and have a heavy load (Chem 2, Physics 2, & Microbiology)-- plus work. I don't have much time to study, and if I do, I worry that I won't do better & may even do worse. But since I am below the cut off for verbal at several schools I'm applying to, is it even worth it to apply to those schools? Or should I do the best I can on my remaining courses & see how it goes? Will they even look at my application with GRE scores that low? Here are my other stats:
GPA total: 3.82
Last 2 semesters: 4.0
Pre-reqs 3.65
Extracurricular: NCAA swim team, full ride scholarship; Special Olympics aquatics coach
PT volunteer hours: 101 outpatient, 51 inpatient

Any advice is much appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

I wouldn't bother this late in the game unless you have a specific school that requires higher numbers.

They may overlook your GRE because of your high GPA and the fact that you can mesh athletics with your academics. Also I would strongly advise you get some more hours in a 3rd setting (peds or whatever) to strengthen your application.

JD

Members don't see this ad :)
Some of the schools I planned to aapply to (e.g., Texas State, UCSF, USC) state that the minimum GRE score they will accept for the verbal GRE is 150 (for some, it's even a little higher). My question is, with a 149 verbal score, is it a waste of money for me to even try to apply? Are they very strict about these cut-offs? Or do people ever get accepted if they are slightly below the cut-off, if everything else looks good?

Some schools may let you apply still and be considered. Some won't look at you. Some will let you but you won't take 3 minutes of their time. I recommend asking the schools over the phone how much of an issue it is. Some schools don't require it. University of Utah claims to look mostly at a student's empathy in their essays (their deadline for application is closed).