First year books?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
K

kim.

How much did you guys pay for books the first year of pharmacy school? (or will you pay)

:)
~kim

Members don't see this ad.

Originally posted by kim31kim
How much did you guys pay for books the first year of pharmacy school? (or will you pay)

I think I read that they can be up around $3000 the 1st yr and then much less in future years.

:)
~kim

Woa.. I paid maybe 350 bucks max for the past two quarters (total). I can't see spending more that a grand no matter what. 3 grand sounds like optometry... they usually want you to buy a lot of equipment in addition to books.

When I first started pharmacy school I had plans to buy every book my professors recommended, and it would have come to around $800 for the first quarter. I eventually decided against buying the books, and I'm GLAD I did! The only book I bought was a biochem book since I had never taken the class before. But guess how many times I've opened it.....ummm never. At MWU our professors are really good at making thorough notes and testing only from what they lecture on.
This quarter I had two new professors that recommended 3 more books, warning that they would test from the books and it was essential for us to buy. Well I succumbed into buying one of them, but alas, no questions on any exams came from the books.
If I were you I'd just wait to buy books until you know for a fact that you may need them. Also, I don't recommend buying a bunch of pharmacy reference books (Remington's, medical dictionary) your first year.
Of course there will ALWAYS be the kids who buy ALL of the books. :rolleyes: But keep in mind most professors place books on reserve in the library.:clap:

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm glad to know that the $3K sounds unreasonable. I found that number listed on the financial aid website for my school. I think they have figured up the maximum amount that things will cost so that students will be eligible for more student loans (if needed).

I hope some of our teachers put the books on reserve, it would be nice to not have to buy them! I'm definitely going to hold out and see what we really need.

Originally posted by AmandaRxs
Also, I don't recommend buying a bunch of pharmacy reference books (Remington's, medical dictionary) your first year.
Of course there will ALWAYS be the kids who buy ALL of the books. :rolleyes: But keep in mind most professors place books on reserve in the library.:clap:

HEY!! Im one of those kids you call! LOL I wish I hadn't done that. I have yet to open my Remington. Oh well, I have a nice paper weight now. When I started, I bought all my books and it cost about $400. I think the FINAID dept may have made a mistake

Do you guys recommend buying the books when school starts to keep pace with the readings, or wait a couple of weeks to see if they're really necessary for each class?

Originally posted by Sukie
Do you guys recommend buying the books when school starts to keep pace with the readings, or wait a couple of weeks to see if they're really necessary for each class?

Wait. ;)

Originally posted by jdpharmd?
Wait. ;)

I am all about saving money, so I'm going to wait! You'd think that I would have learned through undergrad considering allt he books that I never needed but bought anyway.

I think I might also try to talk to some P2s to see what books they really used and which didnt help.

Thanks for all the input! I'm glad to hear that 3K for books sounds unreasonable.

Definitely talk to the P2s- they save me lots of money as it turned out I hardly needed any of the so-called "required" texts.

I think I spent around $300 for the whole year.

One of my favorite references is a cast-off from one of the pharmacists I work with, a slightly older Drug Reference Handbook. And it was my favorite price FREE!

Hey Ms.Spacecowgirl! I know you! :cool: (its me, Kim!) Glad to see you over here... I so wish I had known about this board when I was applying!

I'll definitely check with some of the students from the upper classes... I hate to buy books and then not use them at all! What a waste of money!

Obviously different schools require different books, but does anyone have recommendations for some general books or review guides that would be helpful to a first-year student?

mine says about a grand ... hoorah!.... ;(