first year class

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

colby27

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
what is a typical schedule for a first or second student year in dental school. how may full classes do students take.

Members don't see this ad.

what is a typical schedule for a first or second student year in dental school. how may full classes do students take.

every school is a little bit different. you'd be better off looking at a particular school's website to get their exact curriculum. but from what i've gathered...you're busy!, about 25-35 hrs of class a semester (http://www.mcg.edu/sod/curriculum.htm) <-- that is MCG's 4 year breakdown of their classes for one refference.

if you want more help with this, i would suggest asking this question in the "Dental" forum, as for all of us in here are not in d-school yet :)

This is what we got at my school. Keep in mind that my school is not like the others in that we have ISO time twice a week during our D1 year.

n10009068_37060068_3683.jpg

Members don't see this ad :)

This is the 36 month curriculum at Pacific. It changes a little every year as classes get shuffled around to better fit student schedules. If you look at Quarter 1,2,3,4 (note they aren't in order on this link) that is the first year schedule.

Also, don't let the asterisk and the open slots of time on MOndays for first years fool you. You almost never have class from 9 to 3 only. Classes on mondays go until 5:00...that is a mistake on this chart...and the 8:00 open slot is used for giving tests (which is with very few exceptions, every week)

http://www.dental.pacific.edu/docs/catalog/dds/OverviewOfInstruction.pdf

I'm a d2 and I think I'm taking 14 or 15 classes this semester, about 24.5 credits. Next semester I'm takin 17 classes for 26 credits :eek:.

Kind of sucks because each class is woth about 1-2 credits and it might be a 4 hour lab or a relatively easy didactic class.

so how many exams do you have a week then

so how many exams do you have a week then

some schools have an exam week where they have exams all week, and then some schools are a little bit more nice and only give a couple of test per week.

again, this varies per d-school.

UTHSCSA First Year

Fall Semester
Biomaterials (1 hour)
Radiology (1 hour)
Histology w/ lab (5 hours)
Gross Anatomy w/ lab (7.5 hours)
Biochemistry (5.5 hours)
Dental Anatomy (2 hours)
Dental Anatomy Lab (3 hours)
Community Dentistry (1 hour)
Behavioral Dentistry (1 hour)
Physical Evaluation (1.5 hours
Professional Development (2.0 hours)
Intro to Patient Care (5 hours, pass/fail, rotations)

Spring Semester
Biomaterials (1 hour)
Dental Anatomy (2 hours)
Dental Anatomy Lab (3 hours)
Gross Anatomy w/ Lab (7.5 hours)
Cariology (0.5 hours)
Physical Evaluation (1.5 hours)
Infection Control (1 hour)
Microbiology (4 hours)
Periodontics (1.5 hours)
Pharmacology (4 hours)
Physiology (6.5 hours)
Professional Development (2 hours)
Intro to Patient Care (5 hours, pass/fail, rotations)

Some classes carry over into the spring and some meet for 2 months and then don't meet again until the spring. Intro to Patient Care consists of our required rotations. On the days we are not scheduled, we have the afternoon off. This semester everyone had 2 GPG (general practice group rotations where we assist 3rd and 4th years in the clinic), 3 radiology rotations (where we take a CMRS on Dexter), 1 physical evaluation rotation (practice giving a head & neck exam on a classmate, identifying anatomical landmarks), and we also had our CPR certification during one afternoon as well. Add working on waxing up teeth and completing composite and cast mounting exercises to the mix, and you have our schedule. It keeps me pretty busy, but there is also time to have fun. We don't do block testing, so we typically have 1-2 exams a week and a week off in between before we start the next set of exams, excluding finals week(s).

here is a link to Maryland's Fall D1 schedule...

http://www.dental.umaryland.edu/dentalstudent/studentSchedules/D1Sem1%20Sched.pdf

I think that is something like 26 credits.

jb!:)

VCU D1 fall semester:
Gross Anatomy
Dental Anatomy Lecture
Dental Anatomy Lab
Periodontology-Basic Intro
Evidence Based Dentistry
Neuroanatomy
Operative Dentistry Lecture
Operative Dentistry Lab
Clinical Skills
DentSim Rotations

D1 spring semester: (35.5 credits)
Histology
Microbiology
Operative Dentistry Lecture
Operative Dentistry Lab
Physiology
Pathology
Infection and Immunity
Clinical skills
Fundamentals of Occlusion
Operative Dentistry Lab

Here is our D1 first semester.

Comp care = ethics, epidemiology, human dentition, evidence based dent, community based ed, essentials to gen dentistry (mainly restorative intro), and perio.

You should just think of it as a full-time job, one that you pay to do and that you have to take home with you at night...regardless of the school, you will probably need to be there just about 8-5 every week day for the first 2 years at least. There will be pockets of time when you don't have classes, those should ideally be spent studying...doesn't always happen though

this is fairly off topic, but since first year is being discussed i have a question. Are there any tools/instruments that you need in first year that would make a good gift (i.e. a stethoscope for someone entering medical schood)?

A skull to study for gross anatomy. Our school loans them to us, but it could still make a good gift. Scrubs would work too.

this is fairly off topic, but since first year is being discussed i have a question. Are there any tools/instruments that you need in first year that would make a good gift (i.e. a stethoscope for someone entering medical schood)?

loupes or a gift certificate to amazon.com for textbooks.

thank you. i had considered a skull, but it seemed like a creepy gift to give someone. Still, i think it is amongst the best options that i have.

Those schedules are crazy! If you're in school from 8 to 5, when do you have time to study? I'm guessing late into the night & on weekends, which would make DS a 24/7 commitment. :scared:

Those schedules are crazy! If you're in school from 8 to 5, when do you have time to study? I'm guessing late into the night & on weekends, which would make DS a 24/7 commitment. :scared:

dental school is VERY time consuming, no doubt. eventually you will figure out which classes to skip to better manage your studying time. very few people (at maryland at least) attend ALL classes. sometimes, your time is better spend studying for other courses than attending a lecture.

luckily, at maryland, we have Mediasite which captures all lectures. we can watch these lectures live from home or replay them later at regular, fast, or slow speed. these definitely comes in handy when you miss a lecture for whatever reason. in addition, lectures are podcasted and our itunes automatically downloads them if you want --> good for people that commute.

bottom line, don't let the schedule totally freak you out. remember the rest of your classes, and classes before you have survived. you need to have balance in your life to survive dental school.