First year the hardest?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pharm B

HansomWare
Moderator Emeritus
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've spoken to students at several Texas pharmacy schools and it seems like the prevailing trend is for P1 year to be the most difficult. Some say it's due to the shift from undergrad to graduate-level work. Others say that it just gets easier as you go on.

Did most of you find P1 to be the hardest year?

Members don't see this ad.

I wouldn't say hardest, at least not at USC. I'd say it was the most tedious. For us it was prereq redos mostly. A/P, Biochem, Med Chem with a little bit of pharmacy sprinkled in for good measure. Now, the prereq regurg was more pharmacy oriented than the first go around, but it was still boring as all get out. Instead of "memorize the TCA cycle" it was "memorize the TCA cycle, oh and remember G6PD deficiency occurs in some people which is potentially fatal". At least 2nd year we started the therapeutics modules, so I felt that I actually went to pharmacy school instead of over-priced undergrad.

Right now, P3 is kicking my butt. Not that my grades are dropping, but I'm finding less and less time to devote to the little things, like sleep.

Anyway, just my $.02

For me:

P1 year - 85% review
P2 year - most information presented to you, most tests, hardest
P3 year - presentations, projects, time-consuming assignments, not as hard as P2 year but less time to accomplish all your tasks.
P4 year - ?

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
1st year= a joke
2nd year=first semester easy, second challenging
3rd year=a lot more work-need to study more
4th year= hopefully when everything comes together and I learn the most

P1 is where you learn a bunch of background info about diseases and whole bunch of irrelevant information that has absolutely nothing to do with being a pharmacist. It's actually probably the easiest year.

P2 is pretty much universally the hardest year of pharmacy school. Pharmacology and kinetics/pharmaceutics are generally pretty rough

P3- less material with more review, but a lot of random assignments and projects and other time-consuming BS that makes you feel a little stressed out at times

P4-???- I've heard this is when you actually learn to, you know, be a pharmacist and stuff

I've spoken to students at several Texas pharmacy schools and it seems like the prevailing trend is for P1 year to be the most difficult. Some say it's due to the shift from undergrad to graduate-level work. Others say that it just gets easier as you go on.

So far it's harder than any undergrad stuff I've done.

By the way, how old is your grandmother?

Are you guys learning many drugs in the P1 year? We are on the block system here and I've lost track of all the drugs I knew for the exam and now can't remember. We usually don't learn dosing until the P2 year but we do learn indications/contraindications, MOAs, ADRs, and major drug interactions. It definitely feels like I'm in pharmacy school and not just spending a year in review.

I think first year is very easy. 2nd year is getting harder b/c a lot of stuffs to memorize. They say it's hard b/c 1st year..u learn about pharmacokenetics and a lot of students are not good at chemistry.

I think P2 was the worst year but P3 was harder. P2 sucked because I didn't like the classes whereas P3 was difficult but interesting and enjoyable. When I was looking to transfer schools and was told I would have to repeat my P2 year, I said hell no.

P1 year is supposed to be hard from getting used to things.

P2 year is difficult due to a full load of classes without any BS or intro classes.

P3 year is the most work and putting everything together on your own time so that you can understand it well enough by the time that exams come around.

P4 year is just rotations, so it's only as difficult as you let it be (I think).

P1 was easy to me....but I didn't have a job, so the opinion is a little biased I guess you could say.

P2 so far has been more difficult. Especially this semester considering I'm taking 18 credit hours and working about 4 hours every day. I can say this year, although quite stressful, is definitely fun. I've never learned so much in my life, but I just wish I actually had more time to read systematic reviews of drug classes and treatment guidelines [We're supposed to get into this heave in P3]

P3, as has been stated, is apparently a bunch of "busy" work.

Members don't see this ad :)
It must vary between schools.

I've heard first yr. is the easiest, and that 2nd/3rd yr are absolute hell.

P-1 was a piece of cake, mostly review...my school purposefully left drugs out of the curriculum (save for my OTC/self-care course) and focused on the pathophys and biochem/immunology of stuff.

P-2 -- I kind of hate it...we're crunching through the basics of P&T and kinetics. We're being taught in case-study format for P&T which I like better...all of my preceptors agree that's the way they would rather go vs. strict didactic + random case studies thrown in. My classmates whine a lot about it, boohoo.

But no it's tougher than I thought it'd be. Then again, I picked up an inpatient job this year and am working approx. 16 hours a week (i pick my own schedule so that helps...i'll pick up shifts after exams, and leave the preceeding 2-3 days clear).

Loving my ID/global health class...we were discussing illicit drugs and names for them the other day (like poppers), in a few weeks we go over bioterrorism. fun stuff. :thumbup:

Did you speak to a couple students of the UH College of Pharmacy? Because, I don't think they would have said that P1 was the hardest. It's P2 or P3 that is the hardest. Which of two years is hardest is debatable. P4 is all about your work ethic and attitude for rotations.

For the University of Texas College of Pharmacy I heard P1 may be the hardest and if you can pass that year then you should be fine with the next 3 yrs, but that is just what I heard and not my first hand experience.

Did you speak to a couple students of the UH College of Pharmacy? Because, I don't think they would have said that P1 was the hardest. It's P2 or P3 that is the hardest. Which of two years is hardest is debatable. P4 is all about your work ethic and attitude for rotations.

For the University of Texas College of Pharmacy I heard P1 may be the hardest and if you can pass that year then you should be fine with the next 3 yrs, but that is just what I heard and not my first hand experience.

I spoke to students at UT and Texas A&M. Thanks for all the responses, everyone.

So far it's harder than any undergrad stuff I've done.

By the way, how old is your grandmother?

:confused:

P-1 was a piece of cake, mostly review...my school purposefully left drugs out of the curriculum (save for my OTC/self-care course) and focused on the pathophys and biochem/immunology of stuff.

P-2 -- I kind of hate it...we're crunching through the basics of P&T and kinetics. We're being taught in case-study format for P&T which I like better...all of my preceptors agree that's the way they would rather go vs. strict didactic + random case studies thrown in. My classmates whine a lot about it, boohoo.

But no it's tougher than I thought it'd be. Then again, I picked up an inpatient job this year and am working approx. 16 hours a week (i pick my own schedule so that helps...i'll pick up shifts after exams, and leave the preceeding 2-3 days clear).

Loving my ID/global health class...we were discussing illicit drugs and names for them the other day (like poppers), in a few weeks we go over bioterrorism. fun stuff. :thumbup:

I was gonna take the Bioterrorism class but it was actually more of just some review of the history of Biowarfare and like disaster preparedness. I thought the class would be on how to use, make, and counter-act Bioterror agents.

I was gonna take the Bioterrorism class but it was actually more of just some review of the history of Biowarfare and like disaster preparedness. I thought the class would be on how to use, make, and counter-act Bioterror agents.

haha. like "introduction to bioterrorism: how to"

I spoke to students at UT and Texas A&M. Thanks for all the responses, everyone.

Since I'm at Texas A&M, I feel a bit obligated to respond.

I know many of my classmates felt that their P1 year was the worst, but I didn't feel that it was that bad. Certainly, there was the pressure of a new environment and the need to adjust to how things work, but it didn't feel particularly overwhelming. I don't mean to say that there weren't any bad weeks. But, I don't feel like I was smothered in my first year.

Several people at A&M have also said that the first semester of the P2 year would be pretty bad because of having to drive off to our weekly rotation sites every Monday. Personally, I had to drive 135 miles to my site (so, a total of 270 miles forwards and back), which as I understand was in the top 5 furthest sites. It certainly added some time-crunch to the week, but the classes that we had weren't too bad (Pharmaceutics and Basic Pharmacokinetics were well-taught and fairly lightweight in the difficulty of the material).

If anything, I would say that the most recent semester has been the roughest for me because of the monumental feeling of senioritis that I've been getting. I think that kinda articulates the importance of your mindset from semester to semester. I have the feeling that a lot of students come into pharmacy school feeling a bit complacent. For a lot of students, acceptance into a school of pharmacy fulfills their primary goal, and so they come into their first semester lacking a certain degree of drive that is needed to prosper. I think that is part of the reason why some students struggle in their first semester.

The other side to why some students struggle in their first semester is that maybe their work in undergraduate school did not prepare them for the rigors of pharmacy school. Quite often, people draw comparisons between 4-year universities and community colleges, but I do not think that such an easy distinction can not be made (for the record, I went to the University of Texas at Austin, and I have taken summer classes and then post-UT classes at a community college). The point remains, though, that some colleges offer a different quality of education. It's hard to measure how well a GPA of 4.0 at one university will compare to a 3.0 at another university. Now, although that argument may be a wash, I think it's still important to consider how a person will view their GPA. Will a person let their 4.0 inflate their ego, even on a subliminal level? Will a person with a 2.8 feel an inferiority complex when surrounded by their peers? Personally, I think the most important thing that I got out of my time in UT-Austin is that I know how to pull an all-nighter, and the idea of a week-to-week time-crunch isn't anything abnormal to me.

I've run into plenty of people in pharmacy school who are, by all intents and purposes, smarter than me. The only reason that I can ascertain as to why their grades aren't as high as mine is that they either don't put enough effort into things, or they have some sort of psychological block that's pulling them for a loop. So, perspective has a lot to do with what semester will be your worst semester. If you want to play it safe, I would try to get into the mentality that every semester is going to be pretty ugly.

On that note, I should probably start reading something.

--Garfield3d

umm actually first year first semester was some of the best grades i gotten i got a cumulative 94 average, we don't use letter grades at nova. Its not so much tough as all review, luckily i went to a good undergrad and did my best to learn so everything i picked up really quick like the biotransformation in the liver step 1 and 2 and all the ochem thats involved. Our load for first year is 4 science class which is definitely an up from undergrad where i only took 2 and social science classes. Right now second semester we're taking kinetics(not clinical pk yet), a/p, dynamics 2, pharmeutics 2, marketing, drug information + IPPE so about 19 hours credit word, its definitely gotten a bit harder with kinetic and esp dynamics being a lot more case study focused with drugs but its doable i just hate freaking test every week no time 2 do anything i wanta do

Hm. If @ ucsf you would consider first year is the hardest... then it's probably a good idea to consider going to another school... 'cuz it DOES NOT get any better or easier.

P1 is pretty tough here at UMD: the transition + we start therapeutics in our second semester.

First year is cake. I worked 30 hrs a week and spent time with my wife and pulled a low B average. That year is about the level I would expect an educated and tenured pharmacy tech to be at.

2nd year 1st semester was a royal butt kicking as well as the 1st half of the 2nd semester. After spring break second year things calm down.

3rd year is about the same as the end of 2nd year with a lot of papers, research, presentations and comprehensive patient care.

Do you guys take Physio? What year? How is it? That course is absolutely brutal for first years (even if you love Physio and have a pretty good background in it), but other than that, first year isn't too bad.

Judging from your reaction, you better take your avatar down and replace it with something else. You know exactly what I'm talking about too.