Five More Days!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
HotSteamingTurd said:
Well, in keeping with the title of this thread "five more days", I say, "3 months and 3 weeks left!" Unfortunately, this is way too long :(

BTW, who here likes EBM? I personally can't stand it...

You know, if you keep this thread going long enough, eventually it will apply to you! I also had a thread I called "only one more month..."

EBM? Do you mean Evidence based medicine? I don't like it either. Evidence based medicine applies to populations and groups. It doesn't apply to individuals. Despite the fact that smokers, for example, are more likely to develop heart disease, you will still see a ton of smokers who don't develop it. It's a nice tool for learning about general trends but it doesn't really help individuals. Evidence based medicine has probably killed a lot of people. Unfortunately, the alternative, "Go with your gut" medicine, is not really any better, nor does it hold up in court.

And yes, Brian P is right (of course!). Post-sophomore fellowships don't count for residency anymore. If you do one, you have to do a residency the same length as someone who didn't do one. Obviously, there are other benefits.

Members don't see this ad.

yaah said:
And yes, Brian P is right (of course!). Post-sophomore fellowships don't count for residency anymore. If you do one, you have to do a residency the same length as someone who didn't do one. Obviously, there are other benefits.

Perhaps one could argue that the aSshat that came up with that policy is the same aSshat who made pre-pathology med students do SubI's.

And you've hit the nail on the head Yaah regarding EBM. CCU is all EBM and today post-call, I almost hurled while driving home.

And BTW yaah, how's your call schedule working out now? And have you seen the int med interns become bitter yet?

Members don't see this ad :)
Another way to keep this thread going is for me to break up my whole message into 3 parts :)

Again bringing up the title of this thread, it will be 3 months and 2 weeks before I can truly say "Five More Days!"

HotSteamingTurd said:
And BTW yaah, how's your call schedule working out now? And have you seen the int med interns become bitter yet?

Well, first years at U of M don't take beeper call until 2nd year. You take weekend autopsy call during first year. Starting second year you begin to take nightly call and weekend call for CP and/or AP. This would include calls about blood bank issues, transfusion reactions, people calling for stat lab tests, emergency frozen sections, and of course the emergency autopsy (they exist for research purposes).

First year schedules include 3 months of surg path, I think 4 months of autopsy and 5 months of CP (for me, 2 blood bank, 2 chemistry/immuno/toxicology, 1 micro). Pretty standard at this program. Other programs will have everyone do their first year of all AP, and the end up taking AP call earlier than 2nd year. During my PSF I started taking AP call the first week I was on surg path, and weekend call for AP/autopsy a couple of months into it.

I'm not sure if not counting the PSF towards your residency is a terrible thing. I would have seriously questioned if I would have felt comfortable completing an AP/CP training in 3 years. I feel much more comfortable with the 4. My PSF was over 2 years ago now and while I remember a lot, you really need to have that consecutive length of training.

Good point crepitus.

I can imagine saying that on CCU rounds..."Is that evidence based?"

However, I suspect the attending rebut by asking me what evidence I have in mind and I will then look even dumber :(

I admire you for admitting you like evidence based medicine. I agree with you for the most part. Evidence, after all, is important. We can't all be the supremely confident surgeon.

Darwin couldn't just define evolution and expect people to believe it willy nilly. Watson and Crick couldn't tell everyone DNA's structure without some evidence.

It has worked for some though. Because I said so!

I just don't like how some fields of medicine do things based solely on evidence based medicine. And some of my tests during third year would have questions like, "Which is the most appropriate next step" when all of the answers could be considered equally appropriate given certain factors that were not addressed in the question.

Just out of curiosity....

compared to internal medicine let's say, i wonder how much EBM is involved in pathology?

AndyMilonakis said:
Just out of curiosity....

compared to internal medicine let's say, i wonder how much EBM is involved in pathology?

I find this offensive. Dear moderators - can we ask "AndyMilonakis" to stop insinuating garbage like this? I mean really. :p

I dunno. I think there is most likely lots of EBM in pathology. A lot of it is from the clinical path side. Panels of lab tests are created because of evidence, tests are done certain ways, reference ranges are created. Statistics is vitally important.

In truth, AP is based on evidence also. You order panels of immunostains and ascribe a certain diagnosis to tumors with certain morphologies because that is what the evidence suggests. There may not be as much reliance on huge population based studies, but it's similar in a way.

yaah,

i wasn't trying to insinuating garbage or being sarcastic. it was an honest question considering i haven't done a pathology rotation yet and i was curious. i appreciate your insight in the matter. didn't mean to offend you yaah. :(

perhaps i should have clarified the question...i've observed that during medicine rounds and discussions, there are a lot of references made to EBM concepts. i was wondering if EBM concepts are brought up as often during discussions amongst pathologists or if there is just as much talk about the science behind pathology (of course, i realize EBM and science aren't totally exclusive notions but i prefer discussing science over EBM on any occasion). i just want a relative comparison between pathology vs. a field such as medicine.

AndyMilonakis said:
yaah,

i wasn't trying to insinuating garbage or being sarcastic. it was an honest question considering i haven't done a pathology rotation yet and i was curious. i appreciate your insight in the matter. didn't mean to offend you yaah. :(

perhaps i should have clarified the question...i've observed that during medicine rounds and discussions, there are a lot of references made to EBM concepts. i was wondering if EBM concepts are brought up as often during discussions amongst pathologists or if there is just as much talk about the science behind pathology (of course, i realize EBM and science aren't totally exclusive notions but i prefer discussing science over EBM on any occasion). i just want a relative comparison between pathology vs. a field such as medicine.

Dude! I wasn't being serious! I was playing a prank on you. The rest of what I said in the post I was being honest about, that's how I enterpret EBM to be a part of path, but I certainly wasn't offended! I just thought since someone flew off the handle over something as little as your name having poo in it that I would find something else you said and pretend to be offended by it. I knew it was an honest question that's why I gave my best answer after my attempt at humor. I like you man. Keep posting!

I'm not truly offended by EBM, as I said. During my first few days of CP I have had a couple of conversations that actually did involve EBM, but a lot of the time it was in reference to clinicians ordering tests and their behavior, not necessarily pathologists' behavior.

p.s. nothing you say is going to really offend me, except if you say you now want to go into derm or something.

lol man...i guess i'm in the hypersensitive mindset at this point in mind.

good one dude :)

back to gaming for me...

AndyMilonakis said:
lol man...i guess i'm in the hypersensitive mindset at this point in mind.

Clinical medicine can do that to people. Must...flee...patient care wards....

Members don't see this ad :)
HotSteamingTurd said:
Well, in keeping with the title of this thread "five more days", I say, "3 months and 3 weeks left!"

Now it's 3 months and 2 weeks left! Woohoo! The light at the end of the tunnel is slowly approaching!

AndyMilonakis said:
Now it's 3 months and 2 weeks left! Woohoo! The light at the end of the tunnel is slowly approaching!

Wow, with 3 months and 2 weeks left....let's see. I was halfway through my derm rotation. I don't think I was quite at a countdown stage at that point. Then again, it was also february.

3 months and 2 weeks is what, 14 weeks? (Assuming you have 4 week rotations.) That would be 80 clinical days left, assuming 5 day weeks, no holidays. That probably isn't accurate if you have to do a subI or anything with weekends. The final countdown....Hmmm.....

We're leaving together,
But still it's farewell
And maybe we'll come back,
To earth, who can tell?
I guess there is no one to blame
We're leaving ground
Will things ever be the same again?

It's the final countdown...
Europe

All I know is that I got October 22nd circled on my calender in bright red. True there aren't exactly 4 weeks in a month so I should at least revise my countdown to number of weeks for now. Hence, should I say:

14 weeks left!

:D

yaah said:

We're leaving together,
But still it's farewell
And maybe we'll come back,
To earth, who can tell?
I guess there is no one to blame
We're leaving ground
Will things ever be the same again?

It's the final countdown...
Europe
Oh no! I had conveniently forgotten about that rather hideous band (I did have the CD, of course)!

Let's hear it for hair bands! The likes of Cinderella, Ratt, Dokken....what memories! ;)

...Sorry. This really has nothing to do with evidence based medicine. But, since Step 1 has finished, I am trying to find things to do with myself before clinicals begin in September. Is there anything any of you would consider a "must read" before clinicals begin? I have First Aid for the Wards. I suppose I should start reading it...or perhaps practice what I plan on saying A LOT: "Would you like me to go to Pathology and check on the status of that biopsy??" *wink wink, nudge, nudge*

First Aid for the Wards is good in my opinion. For now, focus on taking H&P's and all the steps that entails. But don't fret too much about preparing in advance...everyone feels clueless on day 1 of clinicals :). As you get close to September, read the section about good oral presentations and stuff related to the specific rotation you will be starting on (neuro exam if you're starting on neuro; mental status exam if you're starting on psych; H&P's if medicine, etc.) Of note, I will say that despite reading ahead, it's still hard to be prepared on day 1. Most of what you learn will be from first-hand experience (doing H&Ps on more patients, doing neuro exams over and over again...)

Starting clinicals is an anxious time but it can be exciting as well. Of note, I finished a whole year of clinicals...and I still dont' know what I'm doing. I got my comprehensive clinical exam in an hour and when I finish, I'm gonna be feeling like an idiot and thinking to myself, "what the hell have I been doing this whole past year?" :D

dude, i'm totally with ya on the hair bands. i never really got into the alternative music recently; I'm still stuck in the 80's!

Thanks Andy! I'm sure these feelings are quite typical for most students about to enter into clinicals.

Good luck on you're exam--I'm sure you'll do just fine!

I like the "alternative" stuff, but mostly the obscure, non-radio played selections from the early 90's. There are a few CD's in my collection that make me say "what the heck was I thinking?" Like what, you ask? Well, how about:

Stryper: The Yellow and Black Attack

Slayer: Reign in Blood (...from heaven to hell in just 2 selections!)

Dokken: Back for the Attack

Judy Collins: Greatest Hits (Both Sides, Now is a cool song, but the original by Joni Mitchell is better, IMHO)

Pink Floyd: A Momentary Lapse of Reason

...I could go on, but I'm beginning to feel nauseous!

Brian Pavlovitz said:
Thanks Andy! I'm sure these feelings are quite typical for most students about to enter into clinicals.

Good luck on you're exam--I'm sure you'll do just fine!

I like the "alternative" stuff, but mostly the obscure, non-radio played selections from the early 90's. There are a few CD's in my collection that make me say "what the heck was I thinking?" Like what, you ask? Well, how about:

Stryper: The Yellow and Black Attack

Slayer: Reign in Blood (...from heaven to hell in just 2 selections!)

Dokken: Back for the Attack

Judy Collins: Greatest Hits (Both Sides, Now is a cool song, but the original by Joni Mitchell is better, IMHO)

Pink Floyd: A Momentary Lapse of Reason

...I could go on, but I'm beginning to feel nauseous!

I'm with ya on Dokken (George Lynch is a phenomenal guitarist) and Slayer. Still listen to their stuff from time to time. Nowadays, I'm mainly into listening to bands where the guitarists are totally awesome. Satriani is awesome, Yngwie Malmsteen is insane, and John Petrucci (Dream Theater) is just sick man. Speaking of progressive/metal, just started listening to Symphony X...that Michael Romeo rocks too.

Regarding the exam, as Stifler so eloquently points out in American Pie 2, "Did that exam suck or what?" Had to talk to a bunch of fake patients, ask them questions, and listen to what they have to say n sh1t. Yep, sounds like a lotta work. And it was. My brain is fried. I need to drink. Onwards to Dominicks I go!!! Enjoy the weekend folks.

I have no idea what you guys are talking about, except for the Stifler bit.

If you want to discuss Jussi Bjorling playing the role of Radames in Verdi's Aida then I would understand.

Celeste Aida! Forma Divina!
Mistico serro di luce e fior,
Del mio pensiero tu sei regina,
Tu di mia vita sei lo splendor.

I need a drink too (well, need is the wrong word. I really just need a Twinkie! ;)). But since I don't know where Dominic's is yet, my humble abode may have to do for today...Looks like we are about to get a massive thunderstorm anyway.

OMG yaah, you haven't been to Dominick's yet? Tragic! It's on 812 Monroe St. Go! Go now! Stop reading! Go! :D

Recovering from hangover....you know what cures hangovers? More EtOH.

The T-storm in Ann Arbor wasn't that bad fortunately.

Oh BTW Brian, here are some of the bands that make me say "What the ..."
Poison - songs like Unskinny Bop and Every Rose Has It's Thorn
Winger - haha, and I love how Beavis & Butthead make fun of that Stewart kid who wears the Winger T-shirt!
White Lion
Whitesnake

AndyMilonakis said:
OMG yaah, you haven't been to Dominick's yet? Tragic! It's on 812 Monroe St. Go! Go now! Stop reading! Go! :D

Recovering from hangover....you know what cures hangovers? More EtOH.

The T-storm in Ann Arbor wasn't that bad fortunately.

Oh BTW Brian, here are some of the bands that make me say "What the ..."
Poison - songs like Unskinny Bop and Every Rose Has It's Thorn
Winger - haha, and I love how Beavis & Butthead make fun of that Stewart kid who wears the Winger T-shirt!
White Lion
Whitesnake
Absolutely! Can you say "cheese factor"?? Here's a couple more:

Quiet Riot
Skid Row
Bullet Boys
Kingdom Come

ugg!

And you know what's the sad thing, I still have those old CD's from all those bands in my CD collection.

AndyMilonakis said:

Well, just reading this tonight after day of
1) Golf
2) Metzgers mit bier! (Warsteiner)
3) Playing Grand Theft Auto for the first time.

I am beat. Not going out again tonight. Perhaps in the future.

BTW, driving home from someone's house AFTER playing Grand Theft Auto for an hour or so is a fascinating experience. I sure did make sure my doors were locked and I kept wondering about those people crossing the street - you fools! Don't you know someone is about to run you over? All these potential targets on the road...Good thing I am not quite as impressionable as the typical audience for this game. Now I agree with the Christian Right. This game should be banned! Banned I says! Millions of young ADD afflicted children will be aspiring to be mafia button men and pimps. Murderous pimps!

Dom's closed at 10 tonight anyway (usually closes at 10 everyday due to some noise ordinance law silly thing).

How did you like Metzgers? I was once addicted to Warsteiner; I'm trying to quit. It's hard but I'm getting by...one day at a time.

AndyMilonakis said:
Dom's closed at 10 tonight anyway (usually closes at 10 everyday due to some noise ordinance law silly thing).

How did you like Metzgers? I was once addicted to Warsteiner; I'm trying to quit. It's hard but I'm getting by...one day at a time.

I love Metzgers. I have been there many times, including when it used to be downtown. Everything is so good. I could probably eat there 4-5 times a week and still be thrilled by it.

Eine Konigin unter den Bieren!
warsteiner-kochbuch.jpg

5 more weeks of subI's left! slowly but surely...

anyways, there was no point of this post...just need to keep this thread going so that all of us path folks can attest to our last day of clinicals.

hope everyone is gettin by :)

AndyMilonakis said:
5 more weeks of subI's left! slowly but surely...

anyways, there was no point of this post...just need to keep this thread going so that all of us path folks can attest to our last day of clinicals.

hope everyone is gettin by :)

I sympathize with you. You're getting close...

Sub-Internships! DIE!!!!!!!!! Don't bring that **** in here!

violent-smiley-014.gif

violent-smiley-030.gif

violent-smiley-030.gif

And don't forget the other beast to kill!

violent-smiley-093.gif

violent-smiley-033.gif
___
2159018000145.jpg
_______
violent-smiley-041.gif

Obviously, I'm procrastinating a bit too much.

It hasn't been terrible...CCU hasn't been too bad (call once a week, halfday saturdays, and sundays off). Next month is gonna blow chunks...general medicine...7 days a week, call every 4 days...

I gotta find a smiley face that's committing suicide.

violent-smiley-046.gif

Or maybe that month will kill me before I can do myself in.

violent-smiley-008.gif

7 days a week? Isn't that illegal? My medicine sub I was 6 days/week. During the 26 days of the rotation (monday of week 1 until friday of week 4), we were only allowed to have a maximum of 3 days off. At this point, I also realized that this was because this was also true for every resident, and I said unto myself "why would thou spend 6 of 7 days in the hospital for at least 3 years, with the occasional month of "light" electives where you only have to be on backup call and come in every other weekend?" Insanity.

yaah said:
7 days a week? Isn't that illegal? My medicine sub I was 6 days/week. During the 26 days of the rotation (monday of week 1 until friday of week 4), we were only allowed to have a maximum of 3 days off. At this point, I also realized that this was because this was also true for every resident, and I said unto myself "why would thou spend 6 of 7 days in the hospital for at least 3 years, with the occasional month of "light" electives where you only have to be on backup call and come in every other weekend?" Insanity.

Actually, I found that the general medicine schedule at my SubI site is pretty cush. I'm Q4 but if I'm on call on Su, M, T, W, Th then I only admit patients until 9 pm. After that you go home! If I'm on call on Fri, Sat then it's overnight call. Technically, I am supposed to have 3 days off during the month; however, I guess I won't exactly know what the policy until day 1 of my 2nd (and thank god my last) month of SubIs.

Doing my subI at an outside hospital really makes me realize that the Internal Medicine program at Univ. of Michigan Hospital is sheer brutality and hell. You have to really REALLY like the work, or you will cry everyday.

AndyMilonakis said:
Actually, I found that the general medicine schedule at my SubI site is pretty cush. I'm Q4 but if I'm on call on Su, M, T, W, Th then I only admit patients until 9 pm. After that you go home! If I'm on call on Fri, Sat then it's overnight call. Technically, I am supposed to have 3 days off during the month; however, I guess I won't exactly know what the policy until day 1 of my 2nd (and thank god my last) month of SubIs.

Isn't it sad that in internal medicine a schedule like that can be considered cush?

sad-smiley-044.gif
speechless-smiley-004.gif

Ahh...my CCU rotation will come to an end in about 12 hours. My diary will thus read:

S: No complaints. Eagerly awaiting the end.
O: AF, VSS
A: Life is good.
P: D/C home baby!

AndyMilonakis said:
Ahh...my CCU rotation will come to an end in about 12 hours. My diary will thus read:

S: No complaints. Eagerly awaiting the end.
O: AF, VSS
A: Life is good.
P: D/C home baby!

Congratulations! That's one more clinical elective down. FLUSH.

In the plan, (just to critique your surgeon-like note writing), I would add an RX for 0.5-1.0 cases of Warsteiner.

Who is this baby that you are discharging home? I thought you were on CCU not NICU? :confused: ;) Hee hee.

p.s. you forgot to do a full neurologic exam and report on today's labs.

yaah said:
Congratulations! That's one more clinical elective down. FLUSH.

In the plan, (just to critique your surgeon-like note writing), I would add an RX for 0.5-1.0 cases of Warsteiner.

Who is this baby that you are discharging home? I thought you were on CCU not NICU? :confused: ;) Hee hee.

p.s. you forgot to do a full neurologic exam and report on today's labs.

thanks for the congrats...now i just got one more month of inpatient medicine left. i will cry tomorrow morning when my alarm clock goes off as another poo poo month starts. hopefully i won't have to do any rectal disimpactions.

thanks also for giving me grief about my SOAP notes...ahem! i mean thank you for providing such helpful feedback as such comments will make me a better medical student :)

As for your plan, warsteiner is fine. However, I'm a big believer in polypharmacy so here goes:

1) Warsteiner x 6 po tid
2) Ozeki Sake po qd
3) Vodka/Red Bull po bid
4) Chaser x 1 po qhs prn

AndyMilonakis said:
1) Warsteiner x 6 po tid
2) Ozeki Sake po qd
3) Vodka/Red Bull po bid
4) Chaser x 1 po qhs prn

Might want to schedule that liver biopsy and transplant evaluation now, so as you don't have to wait.

I have to set my alarm and be on autopsy service tomorrow. No more clinical chemistry days for me!

yaah said:
Might want to schedule that liver biopsy and transplant evaluation now, so as you don't have to wait.

I have to set my alarm and be on autopsy service tomorrow. No more clinical chemistry days for me!

I'm already on the list!

Have fun on autopsy...if you see a pretty liver, freeze it for me, I may need it later after my 2nd liver transplant.

Ahh...my last month of inpatient medicine starts tomorrow.

Crying myself to sleep

Will need to buy a 6 pack of Warsteiner (or two) on my way home tomorrow.

Nite all.

AndyMilonakis said:
Ahh...my last month of inpatient medicine starts tomorrow.

Crying myself to sleep

Will need to buy a 6 pack of Warsteiner (or two) on my way home tomorrow.

Nite all.

Dude - there were 8 (eight!) med students starting a 4th year path elective this AM. Crazy shizzle there. Have only talked to two of them so far, both are waffling between path and other careers.

How was day 1 (D Day, the Day of Days, etc)? Any procedures? Staying late?

yaah said:
Dude - there were 8 (eight!) med students starting a 4th year path elective this AM. Crazy shizzle there. Have only talked to two of them so far, both are waffling between path and other careers.

How was day 1 (D Day, the Day of Days, etc)? Any procedures? Staying late?

Wow 8 is crazy. I'm sure that just as many will be doing path with me next month too. I told you path is getting increasingly popular. Truly some crazy shizzle mah nizzle.

Day 1 was great. Came in at 8:30 for orientation and left at noon. Total census was 6. Me and the other subI were told that the team was on call tomorrow (which means we stay until 9). Hence, they didn't make us "pick up" any patients...unless we "really wanted to." We were like, "uh no." Of course the overly enthusiastic, energetic 3rd year med student begged to pick up 2 or 3. I certainly do not miss those days...

How was 1st day of autopsy?

AndyMilonakis said:
How was 1st day of autopsy?

Decomp case. Bad. Still trying to get rid of smell. (actually, no, once I changed out of the scrubs the smell was gone). Still trying to get rid of memory of seeing medical examiner doing external exam sans gloves. But hey, one of the 4th year students hung around for the decomp case. What a champ. I told her if she can handle that and found that interesting, pathology is definitely the field for her.

I hated picking up old patients when I started a sub I or a consult service. Bugged the heck out of me because whoever had them previously didn't write notes that were satisfactory to me. So it took MORE work to figure out what to do with an old patient than it did to work up a new one.

Resident: What's up with your peeps? (Residents love to use the word peeps)
Me: I have no ****ing clue. The previous resident didn't say. I tried to ask the patient and he asked me what the **** I was doing. I guess he's supposed to go home today but it is going to take me all day to figure out how to fill in his discharge summary. Do you want to just do that and get it over with?
Resident: OK. You can pick up someone new tomorrow.
Me: D'oh!

yaah said:
Resident: What's up with your peeps? (Residents love to use the word peeps)
Me: I have no ****ing clue. The previous resident didn't say. I tried to ask the patient and he asked me what the **** I was doing. I guess he's supposed to go home today but it is going to take me all day to figure out how to fill in his discharge summary. Do you want to just do that and get it over with?
Resident: OK. You can pick up someone new tomorrow.
Me: D'oh!

Now that I am a 4th year med student, the word "no" has been a more frequently used aspect of my vocabulary. Of course that'll have to change next month...but hey, this will be the first time I'll be doing a rotation in the actual field I'm going into.

Yes I couldn't stand it when my medicine senior would ask me, "what's going on with your peeps." It's like...are you trying to be cool? Are you trying to connect with me?

AndyMilonakis said:
Now that I am a 4th year med student, the word "no" has been a more frequently used aspect of my vocabulary. Of course that'll have to change next month...but hey, this will be the first time I'll be doing a rotation in the actual field I'm going into.

NO is my favorite word. Okay, except when applied to alcoholic beverages, pleasures of the flesh, trips to the mall, shopping sprees at the bookstore, iced vanilla lattes, pizza, Soma, or ice cream. Dammit! So NO is the best word to use while on clinicals. OK, fair enough.

I was actually kind of worried going into my path elective rotation that I *wouldn't* be as into it as I thought I would be. Every other rotation has been pure Chinese water torture and I've really despised every hateful second. I was concerned this was, in fact, a personality fault and thus would be applicable to whatever I was being forced to do at a given moment. Nevertheless, despite my many concerns, the whole path elective was just so damn cool from the very first second that I was instantly head-over-heels. Never did an enthusiastic moment have to be faked. Never did I have to come up with a question whose answer I could care less about. It was heaven. It was like meeting my soul mate and knowing immediately that we would be together. (Not that I would have the faintest idea of what that would be like, but work with me here.)

The worst part about the pathology elective is when it ends and then the following Monday you have to find your stethoscope and Maxwell's and actually go back to a fuggin' clinic. :thumbdown:

cookypuss3 said:
NO is my favorite word.

No is a great word. Use it and watch people tie themselves into tizzies.

No is not such a great word when people don't understand it.
Hence, "Which part of N-O do you not understand??"

No, I'm not that cocky during clinicals.

cookypuss3 said:
Every other rotation has been pure Chinese water torture and I've really despised every hateful second. I was concerned this was, in fact, a personality fault and thus would be applicable to whatever I was being forced to do at a given moment.

I had a conversation about a similar topic with a friend who is planning on going into Psych. Whizz through a rotation and come out at the other end thinking "Whoa! What was that all about anyway??"

(Although "whizz" is relative - q4 call feels like forever.)

I'm in the 2nd block of Internal; the people who are on with me are falling over themselves to do IM. I don't go back after clerkship teaching ends to see if there's anything else to do. I must stick out like a maggot on a rock.

My Psych friend convinced me I was entirely normal... "Why would anyone want to work their butts off like that anyway??"

It's odd... when I started med school, I never imagined I could hate something with such a passion. :mad:

cookypuss3 said:
The worst part about the pathology elective is when it ends and then the following Monday you have to find your stethoscope and Maxwell's and actually go back to a fuggin' clinic. :thumbdown:

Haha...I hear ya. My September pathology rotation is the second to my last month of med school. My last rotation is nephrology consult. Granted, it should be an easy month (M-F 9-3) but I'm seriously considering having that changed to a non-clinical month. The question is...I have very strict criteria for this last rotation:
(1) No need to study
(2) No exams
(3) No homework
(4) No papers
(5) Clinical preceptor must tell me everyday, "if you want, feel free to go home."
I really need this last month to be a blow off month but I'm looking through my course catalog and can't find too many open courses that fit those criteria. Hopefully, I can get interviews scheduled for October so that I can have excuses to not come into work.

deschutes said:
No is a great word. Use it and watch people tie themselves into tizzies.

No is not such a great word when people don't understand it.
Hence, "Which part of N-O do you not understand??"

No, I'm not that cocky during clinicals.

Amen.
"do you wanna pick up the first patient?"
"no"
"when do you wanna pick up your first patient?"
"dun-no"
"are you going into internal medicine."
"Hell NO!"

deschutes said:
(Although "whizz" is relative - q4 call feels like forever.)

Q3 call blows. Q4 call blows. Even Q7 call blows. Q30 is even excessive.

deschutes said:
I'm in the 2nd block of Internal; the people who are on with me are falling over themselves to do IM. I don't go back after clerkship teaching ends to see if there's anything else to do. I must stick out like a maggot on a rock.

deschutes, i totally feel your pain. back when i did IM, i was actually one of those people thinking of IM as a career. so i was one of those "enthusiastic" people who left the hospital later than needed. i wish i knew i was going into pathology back then...i would've done half as much work and ended up with the same crappy grade. how many blocks of internal medicine do you have where you are? unfortunately, we had 3 one-month blocks. sheer torture! now in the new curriculum, M3's only have to do 2 blocks of internal. lucky bastards!

deschutes said:
It's odd... when I started med school, I never imagined I could hate something with such a passion. :mad:

me neither...and that something is MEDICAL SCHOOL

Dude! We had about 8 (seriously) 2nd year med students at the autopsy today, plus 2 fourth years, two surgical residents, the surgery attending, plus me and the autopsy attending and the diener. I felt like I was on stage doing some kind of perverse performance art. Now you see the stomach...now you don't. Watch me twist these intestines into the shape of a giraffe! Now a dog! Now Whistler's mother!

Very strange. The 2nd years are like, "what is cancer again?" and attending liver surgeon (it was a liver cancer case) was like, "I hand sewed the Roux-en-Y and tucked the efferent limb behind the transverse colon. The hepaticojejunostomy seemed to be adequately draining his excess bilirubin. Then we completed the lymphadenectomy. " 2nd year again: "What does a lymph node look like?"

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

What a scream!