Five More Days!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
yaah said:
Dude! We had about 8 (seriously) 2nd year med students at the autopsy today, plus 2 fourth years, two surgical residents, the surgery attending, plus me and the autopsy attending and the diener. I felt like I was on stage doing some kind of perverse performance art. Now you see the stomach...now you don't. Watch me twist these intestines into the shape of a giraffe! Now a dog! Now Whistler's mother!

Very strange. The 2nd years are like, "what is cancer again?" and attending liver surgeon (it was a liver cancer case) was like, "I hand sewed the Roux-en-Y and tucked the efferent limb behind the transverse colon. The hepaticojejunostomy seemed to be adequately draining his excess bilirubin. Then we completed the lymphadenectomy. " 2nd year again: "What does a lymph node look like?"

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

What a scream!

Dude! I'm so jealous. Can't wait til next month!

Die SubI Die

Census = 0. I got the afternoon off because I volunteered to do a powerpoint presentation. No admissions for me. 2 hours; 20 minutes and counting...if I can pull this off, I won't have any patients this whole week (until Saturday which is when I'm on call next). How's that for dodging patient care responsibilities! :D :D

Members don't see this ad.

AndyMilonakis said:
Dude! I'm so jealous. Can't wait til next month!

Die SubI Die

Census = 0. I got the afternoon off because I volunteered to do a powerpoint presentation. No admissions for me. 2 hours; 20 minutes and counting...if I can pull this off, I won't have any patients this whole week (until Saturday which is when I'm on call next). How's that for dodging patient care responsibilities! :D :D

I'll be waiting - you can run the bowel and play and dance with poo until you can't take it anymore. Poo!

I bet you got at least one admission within an hour of the termination of your call time. Am I right? Always happened to me. Of course, that's a cliche. Every med student (and resident) always complains about how **** like that ALWAYS happens to them. In reality, I usually got my admissions early on, then when we got stomped on an hour before call ended, they would feel guilty and not want to give me more patients, so we would team up and get them done but dump the patients on the poor intern. Luckily, in pathology, autopsy ends at 1pm every day. If you get an autopsy after 1pm, you do it the next day. That is not to say we leave the hospital at 1pm, because you are still finishing the work from before.

And Andy, patient care is not only a responsibility, it's a privilege! ;) Of course, health care is not a privilege, it's a right. Just like in all those wonderful countries with universal health care where you have to wait 2 years to get a painful cyst removed, unless you pay $$$ and go to a private hospital. Ah, socialized medicine. That's true capitalism for you. :laugh:

yaah said:
I'll be waiting - you can run the bowel and play and dance with poo until you can't take it anymore. Poo!

Well I hold a high amount of respect for poo. Never shall I disrespect it by playing and dancing with poo. I will treat the poo with utmost dignity that it deserves! (especially if it's hot and steaming)

yaah said:
I bet you got at least one admission within an hour of the termination of your call time. Am I right?

Ah...you speak of this Murphy's law of internal medicine ey? Yes yes I too know the horrors associate with this damned law. Fortunately, the gods were on my side today. No patients for me. And I'm post call tomorrow. I will be taking Friday off. And Saturday is the earliest day that I'll have a census greater than zero. Of course, since I'm really a big ***** and I like to please others and make their lives easier, I'll probably be helping out the other interns on the team with scut...cuz I feel a little bad about my current zero patient load.

yaah said:
And Andy, patient care is not only a responsibility, it's a privilege! ;)

Your point? :D

Cya in September deep in the bowels of U of M hospitals!

Members don't see this ad :)
AndyMilonakis said:
how many blocks of internal medicine do you have where you are? unfortunately, we had 3 one-month blocks. sheer torture! now in the new curriculum, M3's only have to do 2 blocks of internal. lucky bastards!

The definition of "block" at your school is probably different from mine.
We have four "blocks" of Internal across the clerkship year, each fitting about 25 students. Blocks 1, 2 and part of 3 are before the CaRMS interview season. That's why I talked about Block 2 and keeners in the same breath!

Each block lasts 12 weeks - two 2-week selectives, one 4-week selective, and 4 weeks of inpatient Teams.

I heard today that UManitoba has their students do SEVEN weeks of inpatient Teams. Obviously Winnipeggers are made of sterner stuff than I am to not be dropping like flies.

deschutes said:
The definition of "block" at your school is probably different from mine.
We have four "blocks" of Internal across the clerkship year, each fitting about 25 students. Blocks 1, 2 and part of 3 are before the CaRMS interview season. That's why I talked about Block 2 and keeners in the same breath!

Each block lasts 12 weeks - two 2-week selectives, one 4-week selective, and 4 weeks of inpatient Teams.

I heard today that UManitoba has their students do SEVEN weeks of inpatient Teams. Obviously Winnipeggers are made of sterner stuff than I am to not be dropping like flies.

Pardon my inability to do math...so how many months total of internal medicine does your school have you suffer through during your clinical years?

It's official...3 more weeks of inpatient internal medicine for me.

Desperately seeking to start pathology month...........

AndyMilonakis said:
Pardon my inability to do math...so how many months total of internal medicine does your school have you suffer through during your clinical years?
Everyone does one block each i.e. 12 weeks, unless of course they (heaven forbid!) have to remediate. My apologies - that whole wibble was just to define "block" in UCalgaryMed terms.

deschutes said:
Everyone does one block each i.e. 12 weeks, unless of course they (heaven forbid!) have to remediate. My apologies - that whole wibble was just to define "block" in UCalgaryMed terms.

No biggie...we do the same 12 weeks of internal medicine here too. Nobody here call them blocks although they should be (because the 12 week period of time isn't really called anything). Thank goodness me & you don't do more than 12 weeks. In fact it should be less. Michigan just changed it's clinical curriculum such that 3rd years do only 8 weeks of internal medicine during 3rd year instead of 12 weeks. Unfortunately, the 3rd years have to do 8 weeks of peds and 8 weeks of ob/gyn. Given this, I think the old and the new curriculum sucks. I would be supportive of a curriculum that had a 12 week block of pathology :) but i'm biased i guess.

I would like to see pathology being made a mandatory rotation in clerkships, like what they have for rad/surg/gyn residents. (Why don't they have them for Internal residents!) Only problem is that it'd be tuff to fit any more than 2 students in a buzzing gross room. I propose that the rotation wouldn't have to be long. A student would see tons of pathology in a week. It would be a major aid in recruitment. And it hopefully would lessen considerably the "black box" and "you see dead people" ideas about pathology among some practicing clinicians.

8 weeks of Peds! That would mean 4 weeks of Peds Teams.
I think I would rather suffer Internal.

~
I am invited to the new residents' welcome party this coming Saturday!
Actually, "invited" is hardly appropriate. "Demanded", perhaps. :D

I believe the program secretary's opening words were, "Oh hi! Are you coming to the party?"

What party?
"The party for the new residents, at Dr. T's house!"
Sandra, I'm not a resident.
"But you've been with us so long now, I'm sure you can come."
Alright alright... how much is it?
"Oh no no, you shouldn't have to pay, the residents come for free!"
We-ll sure, if you say so! Where is his house?
"I'm printing off maps right now. Come on honey bunny, we'll get you your map!"

Damn I'm going to miss this city.

Oh I just love it when residents and attendings "ask" us to do stuff during 3rd year med school. It gives the false impression that we have a choice. But in reality we don't. It's not a request, it's more of a command like you say.

"Hey AndyMilonakis, you wanna give a presentation on topic X?"
"Hmm..."
"Oh don't feel obligated, you really don't have to do it if it's gonna be an inconvenience."

Pfft...yeah right, like I'm really going to say no.

"I would be more than happy. No. I would ecstatically thrilled to give the presentation."

Of course, this year (since I'm an M4) I start to bargain.

"I'll do the presentation but I'll need time to prepare for it. I don't think I'll be able to admit patients or do any kind of patient care while I'm reading all of the literature and evidenced-based studies so that I can put together some good slides. Oh and by the way, the computers here don't have powerpoint. I'll have to go home to work on it."

Damn it feels good to be a 4th year.

Have "fun" at the party tomorrow. I'm on call Saturday...somebody shoot me NOW.

I actually don't think that that party will be bad at all :) I know some cool people who are going to be there. I'd much rather schmooze than be on call.... poor Andy! It will be over soon!

Now if only I can make off with the leftovers tomorrow, I won't have to cook for a week. Yum.

deschutes said:
I actually don't think that that party will be bad at all :) I know some cool people who are going to be there. I'd much rather schmooze than be on call.... poor Andy! It will be over soon!

Now if only I can make off with the leftovers tomorrow, I won't have to cook for a week. Yum.

Well it's good to know that someone will be having fun on Saturday.
Drink a beer for me.
Andy now needs to think up some devious plans to minimize patient care duties during Saturday/Sunday. Perhaps, making a big sign saying "ER is closed during weekends" is in order.

AndyMilonakis said:
Drink a beer for me.
What was your census? I did think of you when I was wolfing down Sicilian stuffed mushrooms and jumbo shrimp!

The food was fantastic, the company was terrific. In fact, a lot more fun than some sozzled medschool parties I've been to. The new PGY-1's came very close to being tossed into the pool. The whole thing had this "life of a pathologist" bounce to it! :D

Members don't see this ad :)
deschutes said:
What was your census? I did think of you when I was wolfing down Sicilian stuffed mushrooms and jumbo shrimp!

The food was fantastic, the company was terrific. In fact, a lot more fun than some sozzled medschool parties I've been to. The new PGY-1's came very close to being tossed into the pool. The whole thing had this "life of a pathologist" bounce to it! :D

Mmm...jumbo shrimp. I like jumbo shrimp. Jumbo shrimp makes Andy very happy.

It's 2:45 in the am and I can't wait to go home already. Just admitted a psych/neuro/seizure patient. Was it REALLY a seizure? My impression was that it was a psychogenic seizure whatever that means. I suck at psych and neuro and the admit note I wrote for this patient is just horrendous. I feel so guilty I'm gonna rewrite it after I write this post.

Otherwise, it's been a good call night. My census is at 2 right now. We stop admitting at 8 am. Hopefully my census will remain at 2. My team is really cool though so we're having a good time otherwise.

Anyways, I'm glad you had a great time at the party. Sure you got to laugh with them this time. But after those PGY-1's do several months of medicine, they may become bitter and you can laugh at them.

This is my last overnight medicine call night for the rest of my life. Thank god! I just need to make it out alive today.

Hope all is well folks! Enjoy the weekend.

AndyMilonakis said:
This is my last overnight medicine call night for the rest of my life. Thank god! I just need to make it out alive today.

Hope all is well folks! Enjoy the weekend.

Ah, the last call. My last overnight call was actually during my 3rd year medicine clerkship, because by the time I did my 4th year sub I they had changed to having night float every night, so the on call team stayed and admitted until 10pm. My last overnight call I admitted a patient at 10pm and they let me sleep until 6. Don't want to overload the poor student!

yaah said:
Ah, the last call. My last overnight call was actually during my 3rd year medicine clerkship, because by the time I did my 4th year sub I they had changed to having night float every night, so the on call team stayed and admitted until 10pm. My last overnight call I admitted a patient at 10pm and they let me sleep until 6. Don't want to overload the poor student!

So I made the last post before going to sleep actually. And it was all good for about 30 minutes...I was just about to fall asleep until...BEEEEEEEP! BEEEEEEP! BEEEEEEEEEP!

"Holy sh1t Batman!", I think to myself.

I get a page saying that one of my patients fell on her face and had a nose bleed. The nurse tells me that there's likely blood everywhere and I would need to fill out an incident report. So I go and see the patient (like a good little boy) and lo and behold...I see one drop of blood. Go figure...the patient wasn't on no coumadin or heparin.

Then I go back to bed. Of course I can't go to sleep. So I work on my sign-out and watch some morning news. Then I feel tired enough to go back to bed and give sleep another try. It's about 6 am by this point. I figure I'll get an hour and a half sleep before rounds. Again, I get a wink of sleep until 6:30 am...

BEEEEEEEP! BEEEEEEEEP! BEEEEEEEEEP!

"Holy sheeeet Batman!"

It's my senior resident who informs me that there's a patient in the ER waiting to be seen and admitted.

I tell ya, this last medicine call night of my life, Murphy's law truly F'd me in the A. Unfortunately, I didn't win out like yaah did on his last call night.

OK here's another aspect of clinical medicine I dislike:

THE
DRUG
SEEKER
MALINGERER

Yes...apparently one of the patients I admitted on my last call night pulled a fast one on us and is actually malingering. We've put this person on some pretty strong pain meds and this patient is still asking for more. Then we run into one of the patient's friends...she tells us that the patient likes to go to different hospitals frequently, feign abdominal pain, and get medicated. This patient also stole pain meds from a family member who just had back surgery.

These patients waste my efforts and time. Andy is now angry after receiving this latest piece of information especially given the fact that Andy was called at home post call about this patient complaining about this damn bullsh1t fake pain.

Take the patient to the OR for an ex lap to rule out specific causes of pain. Of course, you would have to find a surgeon willing to do that for you, but there are many surgeons who enjoy inflicting pain. Of course also, if you do this, she will have a brand new excuse for pain, adhesions and scarring.

Is your malingerer "allergic" to certain meds? I love the drug seekers who are allergic to weaker pain meds.

yaah said:
Take the patient to the OR for an ex lap to rule out specific causes of pain. Of course, you would have to find a surgeon willing to do that for you, but there are many surgeons who enjoy inflicting pain. Of course also, if you do this, she will have a brand new excuse for pain, adhesions and scarring.

Is your malingerer "allergic" to certain meds? I love the drug seekers who are allergic to weaker pain meds.

Already gone through a lap chole.

Yes! Allergy to codeine.

AndyMilonakis said:
Already gone through a lap chole.

Yes! Allergy to codeine.

Bet that Demerol does the trick though. No allergy there. Has she had an "endometriosis" workup yet?

So, I guess this woman has CRAP (Chronic Recurrent Abdominal Pain), one of my favorite acronyms.

I should go up there and tell her about the autopsy I did today on a five year old who had a disastrous complication from heart surgery. Still think your life's tough, lady?

yaah said:
Bet that Demerol does the trick though. No allergy there. Has she had an "endometriosis" workup yet?

So, I guess this woman has CRAP (Chronic Recurrent Abdominal Pain), one of my favorite acronyms.

I should go up there and tell her about the autopsy I did today on a five year old who had a disastrous complication from heart surgery. Still think your life's tough, lady?

I asked the questions regarding the triad of symptoms of endometriosis. She said yes to all 3. So I was thinking chronic pelvic pain. And she ain't close to hittin no menopause yet either so the endometriosis was bound to get worse I thought.

But of course, she probably has CRAP instead of endometriosis. Dude, I love that acronym. I'm gonna use it on rounds tomorrow. Seriously, our team is a laid back bunch that they'd find it funny.

yaah said:

Kudos yaah, before I discharged that patient yesterday, I mentioned this CRAP on rounds (while the attending was off answering a page). The senior resident LOVED it!

Ahh...it's official. 2 more weeks of subinternships left! Just got a page from my senior resident who told me that in addition to having tomorrow off, I could take Saturday off if both my patients were discharged tomorrow.

AndyMilonakis said:
Ahh...it's official. 2 more weeks of subinternships left! Just got a page from my senior resident who told me that in addition to having tomorrow off, I could take Saturday off if both my patients were discharged tomorrow.

I'm sure the nursing home won't have a bed available until monday. That happened to me on my subI. The person who was supposed to get discharged didn't because no one officially read his echocardiogram. So he stayed. So I had to come in. Blasted cardiology.

yaah said:
I'm sure the nursing home won't have a bed available until monday. That happened to me on my subI. The person who was supposed to get discharged didn't because no one officially read his echocardiogram. So he stayed. So I had to come in. Blasted cardiology.

OK Negative Nancy, thanks for killing my mood for the evening :)

Yeah we got this one patient...she gets to go once the damn neurologist reads her EEG which was done THREE days ago. I been calling him up for the last two days and each day he's like, "I'll read it this afternoon." Pfft...yeah right!

AndyMilonakis said:
OK Negative Nancy, thanks for killing my mood for the evening :)

Yeah we got this one patient...she gets to go once the damn neurologist reads her EEG which was done THREE days ago. I been calling him up for the last two days and each day he's like, "I'll read it this afternoon." Pfft...yeah right!

That's what I'm here for. I have to go in both days this weekend to cover autopsies. If there aren't any my day is done at about 8am. If there are any, still probably done by noon. So it's not a big deal, especially since I can't sleep past 6:30 anymore anyway.

I will try to send powerful "read the EEG" telepathic messages to all neurologists in the hopes they can help you out.

yaah said:
That's what I'm here for. I have to go in both days this weekend to cover autopsies. If there aren't any my day is done at about 8am. If there are any, still probably done by noon. So it's not a big deal, especially since I can't sleep past 6:30 anymore anyway.

I will try to send powerful "read the EEG" telepathic messages to all neurologists in the hopes they can help you out.

Hey Negative Nancy, your ploy worked man! I just got a call from the other subI on the team. He said that both of my patients should be discharged today and that the senior told him to tell me that I have Saturday off too! I'm glad I'm not doing my SubI's at U of M...2 straight days off is unheard of!

Woohoo!

:clap: :horns: :hardy: :D

Andy what are you doing with your stethoscope, reflex hammer, pen light, etc when you are done this week? Do you have to keep them for the Step II CS?

My stethoscope's earpieces have not come within site of my eardrums since just after 5pm on 5/26/04 (see page 1 of this thread) when they listened to the bradycardic heart of a syncope patient and heard a slight murmur that everyone wanted to ignore because it was subtle. Then why was I listening to the heart, bucko? Huh? Just for kicks?

Oh, I forgot, everything comes labeled and packaged up for students now so that they don't have to think and they can just look at a picture of a slide with an arrow pointing towards the mitotic figure instead of finding it for themselves. Doctors are turning into technicians.

yaah said:
Andy what are you doing with your stethoscope, reflex hammer, pen light, etc when you are done this week? Do you have to keep them for the Step II CS?

My stethoscope's earpieces have not come within site of my eardrums since just after 5pm on 5/26/04 (see page 1 of this thread) when they listened to the bradycardic heart of a syncope patient and heard a slight murmur that everyone wanted to ignore because it was subtle. Then why was I listening to the heart, bucko? Huh? Just for kicks?

Oh, I forgot, everything comes labeled and packaged up for students now so that they don't have to think and they can just look at a picture of a slide with an arrow pointing towards the mitotic figure instead of finding it for themselves. Doctors are turning into technicians.

I lost my reflex hammer
My pen light no longer works (and I don't feel like stealing any more from the hospital).
The tubing in my stethoscope is cracked and is covered with duct tape. Oh yeah, my earpieces are cracked too cuz I keep idly messing with them during rounds. I'm not sure what supplies I need for the Step 2 CS...but I refuse to buy new stuff just for a stupid $1000 exam (damnit!).

Hey BTW, I'm sure you've worked with quite a few 4th year med students by now. Do you know much about the mechanics of the 4th year path rotation? I know many students use that month as a blow off month (and only spend like 2-3 hours per day). But clearly I won't be approaching it with that mindset. So for a person going INTO path, what are typical hours? I only ask because I'll also be starting experiments in my previous thesis lab again in September.

I guess you can PM me since we're the only ones on this forum who are at Michigan and I suspect no one else would care anyways.

Naw I'll put it here because people are curious.

Typical hours vary. Currently my hours are about 6:30 am until 5pm but I am an outlier. Probably 7:30 would be more accurate. I think the med students don't really have to be in until at least 8 though. Some med students are taking the path rotation a bit more heavily than others. Some are more into the autopsies so I see them more - one even comes to all of the autopsy conferences (7:30 am tuesday, 4:30 pm thursday) which are at the extremes of the day so I am impressed. I would wager that the most gung-ho of the group are probably there about 7:30 to 4 or 5 every day. But that probably isn't every day. I know some people have taken their step II during the month. And I am not sure how it is organized, whether you are signed up for "pathology" or it is divided between AP and CP, because some students do just one or the other.

I think they organize the rotation somewhat, they give you suggested things to do. A week doing one thing, a week doing another. A lot of it though is up to you, you don't have to follow directions. They trust you with your own education for the most part and trust you not to abuse it. If you want to spend every day with Ramsburgh or Appleman seeing all the surg path, you can probably do that provided there aren't 8 other students who all want to do the same thing. If you want to see all the autopsies, you can probably do that too. If you want to come to all the conferences you can do that too. If you want to show up here and there but leave early you can probably get away with it. I don't think anyone is assigned to track your movements, although you probably have to let people know what you are doing with your day. The ever-popular euphemism "Independent study" is probably an option.

yaah said:
Naw I'll put it here because people are curious.

Typical hours vary. Currently my hours are about 6:30 am until 5pm but I am an outlier. Probably 7:30 would be more accurate. I think the med students don't really have to be in until at least 8 though. Some med students are taking the path rotation a bit more heavily than others. Some are more into the autopsies so I see them more - one even comes to all of the autopsy conferences (7:30 am tuesday, 4:30 pm thursday) which are at the extremes of the day so I am impressed. I would wager that the most gung-ho of the group are probably there about 7:30 to 4 or 5 every day. But that probably isn't every day. I know some people have taken their step II during the month. And I am not sure how it is organized, whether you are signed up for "pathology" or it is divided between AP and CP, because some students do just one or the other.

I think they organize the rotation somewhat, they give you suggested things to do. A week doing one thing, a week doing another. A lot of it though is up to you, you don't have to follow directions. They trust you with your own education for the most part and trust you not to abuse it. If you want to spend every day with Ramsburgh or Appleman seeing all the surg path, you can probably do that provided there aren't 8 other students who all want to do the same thing. If you want to see all the autopsies, you can probably do that too. If you want to come to all the conferences you can do that too. If you want to show up here and there but leave early you can probably get away with it. I don't think anyone is assigned to track your movements, although you probably have to let people know what you are doing with your day. The ever-popular euphemism "Independent study" is probably an option.

That's really cool...I'm mainly interested in surgical path and cytopath at the present moment so I want to maximize my exposure to those aspects of pathology for now. I can get everything else during residency.

I have no issue with the hours. I was planning on working in the lab from 6 pm to whenever during the month of September so that'll work out like I expected.
Thanks for all the info dude.

Woohoo!
Haha!
It's official...I can now formally say that I have "Five More Days!" of inpatient medicine left. Too bad it ain't 4, or 3, or 2, or 1. Soon enough.

:clap: :D :clap: :laugh: :D :oops:

Party! Party! Party!

it was such a pleasure to read the first few pages of this thread again. it should be required reading for entering medical students. ;)

scootad. said:
it was such a pleasure to read the first few pages of this thread again. it should be required reading for entering medical students. ;)
I have this book called, Introduction to the Wards. I believe this thread should be a mandatory chapter at the end.

I too found it a pleasure to read the thread and see how things were back then. I just feel sorry for those who are still going through it. You folks must keep this thread alive and resurrect it year after year.

I rather think everyone should wax philosophic on the occasion of their last clinical day. I remember the entire day of mine (the neuro day I wrote about) I kept thinking "this is the last time I might do this" etc. The last scribbled note. The last cosigned order. The last "calling radiology to beg for a procedure." The last neuro exam. And at the end of that day I had a sense of fulfillment and calmness that I had never felt before and have yet to feel again. It was eerie.

yaah said:
I rather think everyone should wax philosophic on the occasion of their last clinical day. I remember the entire day of mine (the neuro day I wrote about) I kept thinking "this is the last time I might do this" etc. The last scribbled note. The last cosigned order. The last "calling radiology to beg for a procedure." The last neuro exam. And at the end of that day I had a sense of fulfillment and calmness that I had never felt before and have yet to feel again. It was eerie.

I want to burn my short white coat. That is one day I will forever cherish.

I want to burn it, but yet the pack rat in me wants to save it to remind me of the horrors of med school....I might do both, I actually have 2 white coats due to my obsessive need to wash my coat every day when I get home. :eek:

I didn't burn mine. I believe I trashed it during my move, but the chance remains that it is still somewhere buried somewhere deep in my new digs. I doubt it though, because when I moved I was looking for stuff to throw away and that seems like the perfect candidate. Evil, beastly thing.

This thread is fabulous!!

I now only have 15 days left. So I could lop off an entire extremity and still be able to count them on my digits. 2 of them are even days off, so that is really only 13 days, but I am going with the 15 since those two days are contaminated by the horrors awaiting me upon my return.

I enjoyed reading about how you folks have avoided procedures. I'm a pro at this myself! No blood draws, no injections, no suturing, no ABGs, no foleys, no rectal disimpactions (though I did have to do a few rectal exams unfortunately). I did do 1 IV and 1 intubation.

beary said:
no suturing

Impressive! How the heck do you make it through a surgery rotation with no suturing? My last clinical day is tomorrow - I can't wait for tomorrow to be over.

Gene_ said:
Impressive! How the heck do you make it through a surgery rotation with no suturing? My last clinical day is tomorrow - I can't wait for tomorrow to be over.

Congrats on tomorrow! :clap:

I got asked a lot if I wanted to stich things. I always said no. Got honors in surgery. :D

Six weekdays, 2 weekend rounds, one call to go.

I think I can I think I can I think I can

We have this totally malignant beyotch jr resident in ICU this month, :mad: and every time she does something beyotch-y I just smile to myself. In 6 weekdays, 2 weekends and 1 call I will be free and happy and she will be bitter and angry and left to toil in the ICU for the rest of her miserable life. :D

Those beyotchy people always bothered me. Basically they are either insecure or unhappy, and they take it out on people who they can.

I can't believe you got out of surgery without suturing either. I mean, I always picked surgeries where the suturing was kept to a minimum so I wouldn't have to, but they still made me close the laparoscopy ports.

Enjoy the last few days - if you say to yourself at every key point, "This is the last time I will be doing" whatever it is, it becomes quite amusing. Better yet, say it out loud.

yaah said:
I can't believe you got out of surgery without suturing either. I mean, I always picked surgeries where the suturing was kept to a minimum so I wouldn't have to, but they still made me close the laparoscopy ports.

Did you get to use the "Carter-Thompson closure device?" They rock. I mean, to the extent that a laparoscopic surgical instrument can rock. Plus, it's a guaranteed way to make the scrub nurses roll their eyes when you ask for it. :laugh:

I have never heard of this device...They just handed me the clamps and the forceps and said close it up.

I hated laparoscopy. I mean, it was cool for the first 5 minutes to see things on the camera in their living state, but operating laparoscopy had all the interest and excitement of a really boring and repetitive video game. Like Donkey Kong, if you play it long enough, you can get good at it and keep advancing, but that doesn't make it interesting.