Flat screen vs. old school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lphiewok

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey guys, sorry for another stupid question but as I was talking to my friend about DAT, he has mentioned a very interesting point and I want to ask you guys.

He took Kaplan course and they suggest their students to take their exam in Houston instead of Austin (which is where our school is located) and it is because Houston testing centers use flat screen lcd monitor whereas here they are using old school bubble crt screen.
They suggested this because it can help you with PAT section where small difference can make a whole lot of differences.

Have you guys considered this when picking a place to take DAT?

I would much rather take it here since I am more comfortable taking things here without my parents being all over me around my exam (like offering to give me a ride and waiting outside all worrying).

anyone has any ideas on this?

Members don't see this ad.

while it sounds like a good idea, the final deciding factor for me was the date that was available at the exam center. I initially had an early aug. date at the Queens NYC center. I decided to reschedule, and the only center in NYC with a spot left for late aug. was in manhatten.

All i can say is my screen was giving me a lot of jagged lines ( old school monitor), but i still did well on PAT (23). so it is still doable, but if you can def opt for the newer screens.

I dont know if I would travel all that distance but remember the angles in the PAT section could look skewed on curved screen and your prob not used to practicing with those old monitors

even with the "poor pixelation" of the crt monitors, it still wouldn't matter for the DAT. i only say this because the only place on the crt monitors that would have any noticable affect is the area within 2 in of the border of the monitor. the rest is pretty much the same as your standard lcd.

oh yea, and seeing how MOST testing centers keep their monitors at a resolution of 800x600 (at most 1024x768), crt nor lcd/plasmas are going to be able to tell the difference.

glad i could help :D

even with the "poor pixelation" of the crt monitors, it still wouldn't matter for the DAT. i only say this because the only place on the crt monitors that would have any noticable affect is the area within 2 in of the border of the monitor. the rest is pretty much the same as your standard lcd.

oh yea, and seeing how MOST testing centers keep their monitors at a resolution of 800x600 (at most 1024x768), crt nor lcd/plasmas are going to be able to tell the difference.

glad i could help :D

And most importantly, don't take the DAT looking at your screen at an angle :rolleyes: