FlexMed 2020

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PA_dud3

PA-S1
Moderator Emeritus
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Application Cycle for FlexMed 2020 will be opening up soon, just thought I would go ahead and make a thread to house discussion regarding it. Good luck to all who plan on applying!

2014: FlexMed 2014
2015: FlexMed 2015
2016: FlexMed 2016
2017: FlexMed 2017
2018: FlexMed 2018
2019: FlexMed 2019

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
My overall GPA is 3.8, but I had a bad semester. Got a C+ in Orgo 1. If I get an A in Orgo 2 and show an upward trend, would I still have a shot at flexmed? I know it’s a long-shot. I’m URM if that counts for anything. I have unique clinical volunteering (300+ hours with underserved community) and research (2 publications) but I feel like the C+ Is killing my chances.

Does anyone notice any changes on the application portal? I don't see any option designated for flexmed. All I see is MS in bioinformatics and non-matriculants?

Members don't see this ad :)
The application for flexmed isn't active yet, it should open in the next week or two I'm guessing

Semester 1 - 3.38
Semester 2 - 3.68
Semester 3 - 3.8 - 3.9 (Estimate)

If this is my upward trend visible in my transcript, will I have a chance, even if it is miniscule at best?

The site is down right now. Perhaps they are making the application active tonight/tomorrow?

My stats: College GPA 3.93, HS GPA 3.7ish, 1450 SAT. Philosophy & Russian major.

Anyone know when the flexmed application is going to open? Still havent seen it in the application portal

How specific of a flexmed plan do they want you to have? Like "I want to use the extra time to study economics and do finance" or do they want something much more specific than that?

How specific of a flexmed plan do they want you to have? Like "I want to use the extra time to study economics and do finance" or do they want something much more specific than that?
I also want to do something similar to you. I would like to get a degree in Health Science and Business Administration

is it possible to get accepted into this program without being in the ivy's/nationally ranked schools like UCB and UCLA?

Members don't see this ad :)
is it possible to get accepted into this program without being in the ivy's/nationally ranked schools like UCB and UCLA?

If you dig in previous forums, you will find that they are not ivy-biased.

Reactions: 1 user
Okay, serious question to previous applicants: for the application to be completed and thus reviewed, a copy of Fall grades are required (I am assuming Fall term of 2019). I won't have that until third week of December.

Since it is possibly to do so, should I send my application in without my undergraduate transcript, and send the transcript to the admissions office once I have it or send the entire application at once in the third week of December?

Also, although I am entering my second year of full time student in an undergraduate degree, I have been taking courses at their campus since Junior year of high school (my high school stopped being challenging after Calculus)...which made me a Senior going in by credit count alone; now since I am a double major in two completely different degree paths, I am still class of 2022, and this is my second year full time after having graduated high school.

With that in mind, when they ask if you are a sophomore, junior, or senior, do they mean by credit count or relative to high school graduation, or by degree path?

I am third year standing but a sophomore as it is my second year being a full-time student at my four year. I also did a dual enrollment program in high school. I would think you should be fine as long as it is your second full-time year making you a sophomore of your university. I am also a current applicant though so I cannot say for certain.

How are your applications coming? I am nervous about letter of recs; I only have one solid one. I was cold in high school/switched several times and rarely spoke to my teachers...

Alright peeps, now that we are actively completing the application, some have perhaps finished it, I wanted to link what the AMCAS (American Medical College Application Service) considers a Science course, just as a resource.

I do not know if I should put my logic (philosophy) class as "science" because it is a math class according to my university. Thoughts? Probably not, right? It fulfills our math GE requirement.

I do not know if I should put my logic (philosophy) class as "science" because it is a math class according to my university. Thoughts? Probably not, right? It fulfills our math GE requirement.

That's an interesting situation. Personally I would stick to the definitions AMCAS offers, or if you want to, you can call the program monday-friday before 5 PM Eastern time to ask.

Is it beneficial for us to complete the application as soon as possible? My situation is I have a professor from the business course who I am currently taking a class with and I would love for him to write me a letter of recommendation, However, since the semester just started, I would like to ask him right at the beginning of December when my semester has finished and he has a better idea of my academic capabilities. This requires me to hold off on submitting my application. Will this be a good idea?

Also my recommendations are gonna suck :( I don't talk to any of my professors. Can I ask an employer?

I think they want 2 from professors and 1 from whoever

I'm having trouble deciding on my 3 experiences to put on the application. May anyone offer advice? This is what I am considering:
1. Volunteer counselor and ambassador for camp for young adults with Down syndrome (200 hours, most valuable experience; I know I am doing this one as one of them)

The other two I am unsure these are the options:
Special needs aide for camper with Down syndrome (200+ hours, very valuable experience, but very similar to #1)
Junior consultant through my professional business fraternity (business experience, interesting)
Starting improv comedy club in my high school (leadership, high school experience)
Operating room orderly (paid job in healthcare, no patient interaction, got to watch surgeries and get exposed to the OR environment)
Academic mentor job (Current job, similar to an RA but without the discipline and as an academic resource for residents)

Any insight as to which 2 of those 5 I should include? Thanks! :)

I think they want 2 from professors and 1 from whoever

By professors do you mean college professors? Do you suppose I could do one college professor, one high school teacher, and then whoever? Two academic one non-academic?

I am doing all science (2 professors, 1 hs). However, I am not sure on the exact requirements on who can/ cannot write one.

Hey! I have a couple of questions on the application, I'd appreciate any input :)

Activities section: How did you order this section -- by category, date, importance, or random?
Standardized Tests: Do they superscore? should I upload another test if I got better math and science scores but my composite was lower? I took it without writing so is it okay if I just put "N/A" for that score?
Letters of Rec: How did you know when your recommenders submitted their letters? It doesn't show the status of each letter on the application...

@user2020 reach out to your recommenders to see where they're at
idk how you're supposed to but i did my activities by importance

How do you order your activities? Don’t they just automatically order by date?

Hello guys.

Is anyone willing to share their "Flex Factor", I am finding it difficult to craft mine and not sure if that's what they are looking for. Please help. Mine will be based on my computational science experience and how that advances medicine.

So some of my activities didn't have an advisor is it okay to leave that blank or list n/a?

Who would like to share their stats gpa/ scores

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

who is ready for Feb- March and April??!!!! Interview NEXT

College GPA: 3.5

HS GPA: 3.5
SAT: 1020
ACT: 22

While most applicants accepted have a 1350 minimum, I believe anything is possible. :headphone:

College GPA: 3.5

HS GPA: 3.5
SAT: 1020
ACT: 22

While most applicants accepted have a 1350 minimum, I believe anything is possible. :headphone:

I believe that !

HS: 3.79
College: 3.83
SAT: 1480
ACT: 33