FlexMed 2020

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Congrats all! I got my rejection, it was a good run and I don't regret applying because it taught me so much about the application process. I'm looking forward to bigger and better things now also if anyone needs a MCAT study buddy hit me up :)

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Just accepted! Congrats everyone! We definitely should make a Facebook group or something!

I was also accepted! Very humbled and grateful for this opportunity. I agree that we should make a Facebook group!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Hey Congrats Everyone!!!! I am looking to apply in August so can you guys let me know what you think my chances are!!
cGPA:3.75
sGPA: 3.56
ACT:32
Ended high school strong top 10%
Also received IB diploma
I got to a medium-sized private college.
Taking Orgo and BioChem in the fall. I am an undergrad research assistant since October and will have a position until I graduate in 2023, which is my flex factor. I have about 200 hours of volunteer and 15 hours of shadowing. I also won an emerging leader award for diversity and inclusions at my school as well. I am planning to volunteer and shadow more after COVID. I have good EC. I am also thinking about doing phlebotomy next summer for clinical hours.
Your ACT and GPA may be a bit lower than most students (if I had to guess); however, you've got a lot of clinical experience which is good. It sounds kinda like you're a traditional/straight-forward premed student, which may pose an issue unless you really sell your Flex Factor! Just make sure you're really passionate about something and are able to show ISMMS how you will effectively use the extra time afforded to you by the program to pursue those passions.

Congrats to everyone who got accepted! I would also like to see what my chances are as I am planning on applying this fall, here are my stats:
cGPA: 3.64
sGPA: 3.70
SAT: 1430 (790 Math, 640 English); I plan on retaking to se if I can improve my English score
ACT: 32
High School GPA: 3.659
Top 20% in extremely competitive high school (ranked 137 in the nation with a score of 99.23%)
I attend a small public school in Ohio majoring in Biology with a pre-med concentration
I have volunteered at 3 hospitals and have accumulated 252 volunteer hours (a lot of it was cut short because of COVID)
I have shadowed a cardiologist, general physician, as well as an OB/GYN and have accumulated 230 shadowing hours
I have had numerous leadership positions in high school (president and executive board member of 3 clubs) and if all goes well, will have 2 leadership positions this fall (one as president of HOSA and another as part of a membership committee of CHAARG)
I participate in HOSA and placed #3 in my state for pathophysiology (unfortunately did not get to attend internationals due to COVID)
I have participated in research in high school and have completed 2 semester long projects. I am going to be conducting my own project this fall and am also going to be working as a research assistant this fall with a professor from a medical school in my state.
I work as an ophthalmic technician for an optometrist and have worked 39 hours so far and if all goes well, would have worked for around 150 by the time I submit my application (will be using these as my clinical hours alongside shadowing)
For my flex factor, I am thinking about saying something about the research I am doing but am afraid it won't sound unique as many students do the same. I have experience working with children (as a camp counselor and as an after school instructor) and am interested in pursuing pediatrics. I also was a part of a group that was hosting a literacy workshop at an underprivileged school and donating over 800 books to children in the metropolitan area to help improve the literacy rates. I was wondering if this could be worked with as my flex factor but not sure what I can do this next semester or say to the admissions committee when I apply. Let me know if you have any ideas and also your thoughts on my stats! Thank you!

I was just accepted as well! I went to a university ranked outside the top 150 on US News. I was also pretty hardcore traditional premed, but spun my passions enough for me to stand out. Please feel free to reach out to me if you have any questions!
do you mind sharing your stats and the interview process?

Congrats to everyone who got accepted! I would also like to see what my chances are as I am planning on applying this fall, here are my stats:
cGPA: 3.64
sGPA: 3.70
SAT: 1430 (790 Math, 640 English); I plan on retaking to se if I can improve my English score
ACT: 32
High School GPA: 3.659
Top 20% in extremely competitive high school (ranked 137 in the nation with a score of 99.23%)
I attend a small public school in Ohio majoring in Biology with a pre-med concentration
I have volunteered at 3 hospitals and have accumulated 252 volunteer hours (a lot of it was cut short because of COVID)
I have shadowed a cardiologist, general physician, as well as an OB/GYN and have accumulated 230 shadowing hours
I have had numerous leadership positions in high school (president and executive board member of 3 clubs) and if all goes well, will have 2 leadership positions this fall (one as president of HOSA and another as part of a membership committee of CHAARG)
I participate in HOSA and placed #3 in my state for pathophysiology (unfortunately did not get to attend internationals due to COVID)
I have participated in research in high school and have completed 2 semester long projects. I am going to be conducting my own project this fall and am also going to be working as a research assistant this fall with a professor from a medical school in my state.
I work as an ophthalmic technician for an optometrist and have worked 39 hours so far and if all goes well, would have worked for around 150 by the time I submit my application (will be using these as my clinical hours alongside shadowing)
For my flex factor, I am thinking about saying something about the research I am doing but am afraid it won't sound unique as many students do the same. I have experience working with children (as a camp counselor and as an after school instructor) and am interested in pursuing pediatrics. I also was a part of a group that was hosting a literacy workshop at an underprivileged school and donating over 800 books to children in the metropolitan area to help improve the literacy rates. I was wondering if this could be worked with as my flex factor but not sure what I can do this next semester or say to the admissions committee when I apply. Let me know if you have any ideas and also your thoughts on my stats! Thank you!
hey! can we get an update? I have similar stats

Also got an interview! ~3.8 College, 4.0 HS. Decent clinical, research, and leadership activities. Had a mix of STEM and non-STEM interests.
If you dont mind we asking, what was your SAT/ACT and EC's like?