FlexMed Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Futuredoc137

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

Are AP scores taken into consideration when the admissions committee looks at applicants for the FlexMed program? I took AP Chemistry in high school, and didn't do so hot on the AP (I got a 2), so I'm taking chemistry again in college. Will they look at my AP score/do I have to send any AP scores, or will they only focus on the grade on my high school and college transcripts?

Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

I interviewed for FlexMed, and they never asked for AP scores. They have no idea what scores you get credit for unless you somehow include it into your college transcript. My science GPA was honestly only like a 3.6 when I sent it my app, so I wouldn't worry too much!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
@Hchou17 Thanks so much, that makes me feel better! When you went to the interview, were most people from ivy league schools? I heard they have a strong preference for ivys/top 20s...

@Hchou17 Thanks so much, that makes me feel better! When you went to the interview, were most people from ivy league schools? I heard they have a strong preference for ivys/top 20s...
Yes for sure lol. Few other state school students but majority ivys and big name privates

@Cherry1997 If you don't mind me asking, what undergrad do you go to? I go to a really large state flagship, so I'm not sure how much of a chance I have anyways :(
I do go to a top 15 school and there was definitely an ivy/top 20 bias but I think that is also probably because most of their applicants are from those places to begin with

Lol. There is definitely an ivy/top 20 bias. I applied two years ago and got rejected without an interview with a 3.91. I attend a state school in Mississippi so I'm pretty sure that's what knocked me down. Good luck to you!

Lol. There is definitely an ivy/top 20 bias. I applied two years ago and got rejected without an interview with a 3.91. I attend a state school in Mississippi so I'm pretty sure that's what knocked me down. Good luck to you!
Went to a school ranked in the 70s. Currently at Sinai. Most of their applicants come from Ivies and tbh to be a viable applicant you need to be very accomplished, have research/volunteering PLUS an outside passion. Most of those types of tweener kids are rare. I knew all the top premeds at my own school and only three or four of them would fit that description - most of them were traditional STEM premeds. Whereas Ivies tend to have many students with diverse interests and passions.

Just curious, Why are high stats students with good ECs going for this program? My son had almost perfect stats in HS and gave up one good BSMD program (BU) to take traditional path at top 20 private school which offered him full-tuition scholarship.

Just curious, Why are high stats students with good ECs going for this program? My son had almost perfect stats in HS and gave up one good BSMD program (BU) to take traditional path at top 20 private school which offered him full-tuition scholarship.
Its not just the top 20 ranking and lack of MCAT requirement. This is for kids who have other passions that are just difficult to pursue when you have to finish traditional premed requirements and MCAT.

Its not just the top 20 ranking and lack of MCAT requirement. This is for kids who have other passions that are just difficult to pursue when you have to finish traditional premed requirements and MCAT.
I agree with that, but there are more BSMD programs and that would have been a better avenue for most.