flight surgery with AF

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mcsean

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know how long flight surgery tours are with the AF? Also, all the FS training info I've read has been Navy. Anyone know about AF training (length, location, etc.)?

Thanks all-
-Sean

Members don't see this ad.

mcsean said:
Does anyone know how long flight surgery tours are with the AF? Also, all the FS training info I've read has been Navy. Anyone know about AF training (length, location, etc.)?

Thanks all-
-Sean

Google "Aerospace Medicine Primary Course." It's at Brooks AFB in San Antonio. I think its about 6 wks long, but I could be wrong. This, of course is for training.

Most FS tours are 2-3 years depending on the billet.

mcsean said:

Thanks all-
-Sean

Good suggestion from cdreed above.

Regarding tour length for FS's, I understand them to be of variable length based on the individual. Generally, they are between 2-3 years, as are most officer assignments. However, there are exceptions that may shorten or prolong an officer's tour: family illness (humanitarian reassignment), by-name selection for an assignment, remote tour (e.g. Korea, a 1 year assignment), special assignment (e.g. NASA, research), etc.

Short answer to your FS training question: there are 2 programs to become a USAF Flight Surgeon, the "short course" (6 weeks, aka "AMP", Aerospace Medicine Primary) and the "long course" (3 years, aka the "RAM", Residency in Aerospace Medicine).

The "short course" is presently held at Brooks City-Base in southeast San Antonio, TX. Facilities there include altitude chambers, hyperbaric chambers and a centrifuge. See http://www.brooks.af.mil/web/af/amp.htm for more info.

The "long course" is divided into 3 1-year blocks. The first year ("phase 1") is an MPH at any US school of public health. Second year ("phase 2") is the RAM "practicum year." Third year ("phase 3") is either a occupational or preventive medicine practicum year. See http://www.brooks.af.mil/web/ram/Default.htm for more.

Cheers,

-BlueSkies

p.s. I wonder if cdreed is actually USAFSAM's own "AMP Daddy" Col Hadley Reed, director of the HPSP SAM course. . . :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the guidance. I'm interested in the short version. Planning on doing a medicine prelim year, then completing my 3 year committment as a flight surgeon.
I checked out the AMP site. The MOASM course is only a prereq if you want to take AMP as a student, right? I don't think I'll have a chance to take MOASM before graduation, although I'm trying to set up an aerospace medicine rotation to at least get a feel for what it's like.
As far as the prelim medicine year goes, does the AF offer them at the bases with full medicine residencies? (Keesler, Lackland, Wright-Patterson) I know doing a civilian intern year is also an option.

Thanks more-
-Sean

It's not very clear on the AMP site's "Prerequisites" page, but I believe the sentences in question would be better punctuated thus:

"USUHS Medical students in their fourth year of training will be considered for the AMP course on a case by case basis. Those being considered must have completed the Medical Student Orientation to Aerospace Medicine (MOASM) course offered at USAFSAM.

Medical students participating in the HPSP are not eligible to take the AMP course. All HPSP students are required to take the Medical Student Orientation to Aerospace Medicine (MOASM) course offered at USAFSAM during their medical school years."

Src: http://www.brooks.af.mil/web/af/courses/amp/AMP_KEL/amp_prerequisites.htm

Reading it like this makes me believe:
(1) of HPSP and USUHS students, only USUHS students may apply
(2) USUHS students may take AMP as one of their 4th year clerkships
(3) USUHS students applying for the AMP course must have taken the MOSAM course

That's consistent with my previous understanding of AMP too. ttyl,

-Blue

Ah, yes. My post wasn't clear. Thank you for clarifying.

USUHS students may apply for AMP as one of their clerkships; HPSP students must wait until graduation (+ internship).

-Blue

its too bad AFHPSP cant go during school, doesn't the Army let 4th year HPSP students go to their equivalent?

Does anyone know if you can go to the AMP short course before finishing residency, then finish residency before the FS tour?