Flinders vs Newcastle(Aus) 2018

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Flygon683

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I understand that Flinders has recently changed their teaching style to TBL and Newcastle has its JMP.
I was wondering if anyone knows what the reputation is like for both schools i.e what they are famous for. In terms of internship, from what I read on the forum, Flinder's international students might have some difficulties in getting one? How about Newcastle? In terms of quality of education, which one is better?

Members don't see this ad.

Honestly. It doesn't matter. You're still going to have to put in some effort or work to get internship. There's record numbers of medical students graduating and it's still trending upwards nationally.

Just pick one that you think suits your style. If you don't like lectures or prefer small group. Or email their medical student societies (just google it - like "flinders medical students societies") and get in touch with current first or second years to talk to.

Quality of education - again.
depends on your personality. there's whole threads of American students complaining about quality of education at med school in general sucks. they'd rather skip class and just do USMLE prep. I can tell you right now - it's no different in Australia lol. Some people care, some don't.

Australia's a small country. the reputation of the schools themselves aren't as big a deal in the US or UK. It's all "medical school". Some are obviously more suited to providing research opportunities - if that's what you want or if you want access to more competitive specialties later. Others are more suited to training rural family doctors or rural doctors in general. Go with what suits your future plans.