Florida Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hahaha, said 403(b) withholdings have now been found and have made it into the appropriate account. Turns out that there were *two* allocation forms, and I had only filled out one.

I was thinking the same thing.

On that note, how many people seriously would be interested in a FL nontrad get-together after the holidays? (By seriously, I mean that there is a high likelihood you would actually come.) While I would love a visit to the nether regions of the Panhandle (seriously, I think Destin might be the nicest beach in the state) or to Key West, we should probably choose somewhere more centrally located so that as many people as possible can come. Thus far mentioned options include Orlando (Disney?) and Tampa (Busch Gardens), but other suggestions welcome.

If you're interested in Key West I'd check out the key west express. It's like a super mini cruise ship. 2 stories, with a couple of bars and big screens. Nothing fancy but it's nice not having to drive. We went this past year and supposedly it cuts way down on driving/gas (we already live in Fort Myers so it was only like a 30 minute drive to the dock). You might even find some great deals on groupon for it. My gf got us tickets for like 90 bucks each round trip but I think it's usually more like 150-200 per with no deals. You also have to pay for parking. Grab some seats at a table if you're early and play cards for 2-3 hours and you're there. We walked everywhere while we were there or took a couple of taxis.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hahaha, said 403(b) withholdings have now been found and have made it into the appropriate account. Turns out that there were *two* allocation forms, and I had only filled out one.

I was thinking the same thing.

On that note, how many people seriously would be interested in a FL nontrad get-together after the holidays? (By seriously, I mean that there is a high likelihood you would actually come.) While I would love a visit to the nether regions of the Panhandle (seriously, I think Destin might be the nicest beach in the state) or to Key West, we should probably choose somewhere more centrally located so that as many people as possible can come. Thus far mentioned options include Orlando (Disney?) and Tampa (Busch Gardens), but other suggestions welcome.
I know I'm really new here, but I would be down for doing something. Grab a butterbeer in Orlando anyone? I could also do Busch Gardens since I live in Tampa. :)

I could do Orlando or Tampa.

Members don't see this ad :)
So, when would you be looking to do this Q, Et alia? Tampa is nice too.

Love Florida. The wife and I got married in Key West and usually vacation in Sanibel, LECOM-B was high on my list when I applied (glad that didn't happen though). I keep thinking about working there, but then I hear that it's an absolutely toxic malpractice environment.

Guess I'll have to wait until retirement.

Love Florida. The wife and I got married in Key West and usually vacation in Sanibel, LECOM-B was high on my list when I applied (glad that didn't happen though). I keep thinking about working there, but then I hear that it's an absolutely toxic malpractice environment.

Guess I'll have to wait until retirement.
Not necessarily. I work for the gub'ment. You want to sue me? Have fun trying. I don't care how rich you are; you don't have more lawyers in your pocket than the state does. That being said, yeah, apparently the situation for those in private practice is pretty bad. If PP is your bag, you should go to TX.

Reactions: 1 user
Ugh, full-time work AND school this spring, so as much as I would love to go to a get together, I probably wouldn't be able to. :(

@QofQuimica

image.jpg

I should join this thread. Since interviewing at Nova Southeastern I've been having dreams about white sand beaches and having a one hour special television special about how I'm going to be taking my talents to South Beach! If all goes well at my next two interviews it may come down to NY vs. MO vs. FL.

I didn't read the thread, so apologize if this is totally off topic. Just saw the picture :p.

Last edited:
I should join this thread. Since interviewing at Nova Southeastern I've been having dreams about white sand beaches and having a one hour special television special about how I'm going to be taking my talents to South Beach! If all goes well at my next two interviews it may come down to NY vs. MI vs. FL.

I didn't read the thread, so apologize if this is totally off topic. Just saw the picture :p.
Haha, told you. Their campus is seriously pretty sweet. Now you see where all those tuition dollars go. ;)

For the record, the Gulf Coast beaches are much better (with much whiter sand!) than the Atlantic beaches. If you interview at LECOM-B, make sure you hit one of the local beaches. Better yet, make a vacation out of it, rent a car, and take a road trip up to the Panhandle. Best beaches in the state.

Members don't see this ad :)
And tuition dollars well spent. I am definitely ok with living in a place like this: http://chrisschramm.com/portfolio/w.../articles/ef/0410/novaseuniversity/photo2.jpg (yes, that's the dorm!).

I keep praying for my LECOM-B invite every day since I definitely am planning to make a vacation out of it. I really would like this go this month since it's freezing in NYC. A friend of mine has a place on Longboat Key that he said I'm welcome to stay at it if I interview in Bradenton and it's right across from the beach. I was diagnosed with severe vitamin D deficiency a few months ago so an invite at LECOM-B could literally help save my life. Beats the 50,000 IU once a wk pills that I was prescribed for sure :p.

Haha, told you. Their campus is seriously pretty sweet. Now you see where all those tuition dollars go. ;)

For the record, the Gulf Coast beaches are much better (with much whiter sand!) than the Atlantic beaches. If you interview at LECOM-B, make sure you hit one of the local beaches. Better yet, make a vacation out of it, rent a car, and take a road trip up to the Panhandle. Best beaches in the state.

Last edited:
Officially rejected from LECOM-B (with no interview). I just can't get to warm weather this year. Interviewing at Albany Medical College tomorrow and PCOM day after... doubt there is going to be much sunshine.

Officially rejected from LECOM-B (with no interview). I just can't get to warm weather this year. Interviewing at Albany Medical College tomorrow and PCOM day after... doubt there is going to be much sunshine.

:(
Sorry to hear that. LECOM-B would definitely be the nicer area. Although you will still get cold with the other two, PCOM will give you less snow and be a bit warmer than Albany--but as you know, nothing like LECOM-B. Good luck with your other interviews!

Hey why does it say MS (Accepted) under your info?

Don't mean to be lazy, but since I'm writing this, about how many out of state students does LECOM-B take?

I'm glad to live in this state where there are so many medical school opportunities. Florida is a pretty great state. I'd be interested in a nontrad meetup!

I was accepted to Nova and ATSU-KCOM already so I updated it. I still have several more interviews lined up, but likely am going to cancel everything after PCOM is done.

60% of the class at LECOM-B is from Florida.

:(

Hey why does it say MS (Accepted) under your info?

Don't mean to be lazy, but since I'm writing this, about how many out of state students does LECOM-B take?

Amen to that. The Mrs. and I love the Gulf side of Florida. We went to St. Augustine for our anniversary a few years ago and drove out onto the beach, we realized really quick that the gulf was for us. Sanibel tends to be our "go to" beach for a long vacation. Even drove down there for the afternoon after the LECOM-B open house.

I got rejected from LECOM-B within 48 hours of my secondary submission. I thought it was a sure thing-I had talked at length with one of the deans when they came to my undergrad. Went to the open house, brought the wife and daughter, even went house hunting. Turned out to be a blessing. As much as I thought PBL would have been for me, turns out I do better in lectures. At least here at Carey, I can be to the beach in Biloxi in less than 2 hours! (if I ever had time)

I should join this thread. Since interviewing at Nova Southeastern I've been having dreams about white sand beaches and having a one hour special television special about how I'm going to be taking my talents to South Beach! If all goes well at my next two interviews it may come down to NY vs. MO vs. FL.

I hung out with a friend that goes to Nova and worked out at their gym. Freaking campus is amazeballs...Spent some time in ft lauderdale and miami too and went to the beach a few times. Funny to have a tan when it's been snowing here every day.

I was accepted to Nova and ATSU-KCOM already so I updated it. I still have several more interviews lined up, but likely am going to cancel everything after PCOM is done.

60% of the class at LECOM-B is from Florida.

Well darn. You are still sitting pretty then. Here's hoping all goes well for ya!

Yea, I got a little less lazy and looked that one up last night. Obviously more love for Floridians. :)

I too thought it was a sure thing. I wasn't sure about PBL, but I was considering making the compromise as a friend said I could live in his place in the area for my first two years. Based on my school list at the moment, I know PBL won't be a part of my future.

I got rejected from LECOM-B within 48 hours of my secondary submission. I thought it was a sure thing-I had talked at length with one of the deans when they came to my undergrad. Went to the open house, brought the wife and daughter, even went house hunting. Turned out to be a blessing. As much as I thought PBL would have been for me, turns out I do better in lectures. At least here at Carey, I can be to the beach in Biloxi in less than 2 hours! (if I ever had time)

Haha... I can only imagine if you showed up in Boston with a tan today. Given the current Boston/NY weather, Ft Lauderdate is looking pretty sweet right about now.

I hung out with a friend that goes to Nova and worked out at their gym. Freaking campus is amazeballs...Spent some time in ft lauderdale and miami too and went to the beach a few times. Funny to have a tan when it's been snowing here every day.

Haha... I can only imagine if you showed up in Boston with a tan today. Given the current Boston/NY weather, Ft Lauderdate is looking pretty sweet right about now.

My interview was at the end of Jan right after the first blizzard. So it was pretty similar though things are much worse now.

Maybe you guys will be classmates. That would be cool. We can have a South Florida reunion in Ft. Laud next year since everyone seems to want to end up at Nova. :D

Totally resurrecting this thread because, oh my god, the semester is over and "winter" is here. Anyone up for Universal in January? I think I'm going on the 13th. Hope everyone's pre-med paths are going smoothly!

I won't deny that I have A) brought out my space heater, and B) been wearing a sweatshirt. But then, I keep the temp in my place above 77 degrees during the summer, so even a dip to the mid 70s makes me feel cold. :oops:

Not really interested in Universal (been there, done that, didn't bother buying the t-shirt), but would really like a field trip to Kennedy Space Center. Or a camping trip at one of the state parks. Do any of you hike or camp?

Errm.. Nature and I don't get along. We have a longstanding agreement to stay out of each other's territory, specially at night.

But Kennedy Space Center I could do. Sometime in January after first exams maybe.

Also I'm writing this under three layers of covers. So I totally feel you. :D

My kid is at Kennedy as we speak (school field trip). I'm up for that. I'm not a camper though.

I won't deny that I have A) brought out my space heater, and B) been wearing a sweatshirt. But then, I keep the temp in my place above 77 degrees during the summer, so even a dip to the mid 70s makes me feel cold. :oops:

Not really interested in Universal (been there, done that, didn't bother buying the t-shirt), but would really like a field trip to Kennedy Space Center. Or a camping trip at one of the state parks. Do any of you hike or camp?
Q, can I derail this thread slightly (well, I am from FL!) to ask ... if you get cold so easily, how did you survive your surgery rotation (and maybe residency; I don't know if you are a surgeon)? It always seems so freezing cold to me in the OR I don't know how I am going to survive in short sleeved scrubs.

Awesome, let's do Kennedy Space Center in January. Probably MLK Day is not the best weekend to go, but anyone have preferences for one of the other dates?

Q, can I derail this thread slightly (well, I am from FL!) to ask ... if you get cold so easily, how did you survive your surgery rotation (and maybe residency; I don't know if you are a surgeon)? It always seems so freezing cold to me in the OR I don't know how I am going to survive in short sleeved scrubs.
Oh, once the OR lights come on, you start sweating like a mofo. Plus the staff often turn up the heat during procedures because anesthesia outcomes studies show that patient outcomes are worse when they (the patients, not the OR staff) get cold. Not to mention that you're also gowned, gloved, and masked, completely covered from head to toe.

I'm not a surgeon, but the one time I came close to passing out during training was when I was assisting my surgery resident with a procedure in the trauma bay. We were putting in a chest tube. Hot lights, heat turned up full blast, plastic gown and gloves, full face mask, low blood sugar, mild dehydration. You get the picture. When the edges of my vision started going dark, I abruptly excused myself mid-chest tube to go sit outside. The surgeon came out after me to see if I was ok, and I told him, "If I didn't go sit down voluntarily, you'd be doing the next trauma procedure on me." Heh. Felt better with some cool air, taking off that plastic gown, and drinking some cranberry juice that we stole from the ER.

Awesome, let's do Kennedy Space Center in January. Probably MLK Day is not the best weekend to go, but anyone have preferences for one of the other dates?

Oh, once the OR lights come on, you start sweating like a mofo. Plus the staff often turn up the heat during procedures because anesthesia outcomes studies show that patient outcomes are worse when they (the patients, not the OR staff) get cold. Not to mention that you're also gowned, gloved, and masked, completely covered from head to toe.

I'm not a surgeon, but the one time I came close to passing out during training was when I was assisting my surgery resident with a procedure in the trauma bay. We were putting in a chest tube. Hot lights, heat turned up full blast, plastic gown and gloves, full face mask, low blood sugar, mild dehydration. You get the picture. When the edges of my vision started going dark, I abruptly excused myself mid-chest tube to go sit outside. The surgeon came out after me to see if I was ok, and I told him, "If I didn't go sit down voluntarily, you'd be doing the next trauma procedure on me." Heh. Felt better with some cool air, taking off that plastic gown, and drinking some cranberry juice that we stole from the ER.
Thanks for the reassurance and the funny story! I guess I've only ever been in the OR as a patient, so I'm freezing before they throw on the warm blanket and I'm unconscious by the time they turn on the bright lights.

Anyone still up for KSC? Or anywhere else non-Disney? Or maybe we should all crash mspeedwagon's pad and hit the beach. :D

Let me see... waddle around a rat maze with legions of people from canada and Toledo and those places most of whom are barely able to walk from the tubs of fat they're toting around, a large portion of them scooter bound.

Or hang with good friends and go the beach. One of the true natural beauties of that Flat cultured state.

Suffice to say when I make it back there. Me and Q will be tubing the ichetucknee, canoeing the Sante Fe or the Peace river, or veggin out on the beach--west coast preferred. With all sorts of extracurricular activity in play. Or at least those are my stipulations. In the very least. I show up with my cooler of stuffs and beach chair and we go for the day.

Last edited:
Let me see... waddle around a rat maze with legions of people from canada and Toledo and those places most of whom are barely able to walk from the tubs of fat they're toting around, a large portion of them scooter bound.

Or hang with good friends and go the beach. One of the true natural beauties of that Flat cultured state.

Suffice to say when I make it back there. Me and Q will be tubing the ichetucknee, canoeing the Sante Fe or the Peace river, or veggin out on the beach--west coast preferred. With all sorts of extracurricular activity in play. Or at least those are my stipulations. In the very least. I show up with my cooler of stuffs and beach chair and we go for the day.
Dude, this is still the South. Toting tubs of fat is a way of life here. Even on the beach, alas. But we'll wear sunglasses so as to not be blinded by the glare. ;)

You would bump this when its 21 below here....

:p
How many years have you had a standing invite to come down? Fair warning: if you don't come by next winter, you're on your own. I'm applying for fellowship this summer, and odds are good I'll be moving OOS again next summer (2017). Though not to anywhere ridiculous like the Minnesota tundra. I'm not applying anywhere north of the Mason-Dixon Line. So actually, no matter where I end up, it will still seem balmy compared to what you're used to. Heh.

Fair enough. 1 year to get down south so we can boogie.

But also. To be fair to us. I think we kind of like our open invitation status to be some place beachy though, so....If you just keep that in mind when you choose a fellowship, Thanks.

haha

Spent part of my high school in Orange Park, FL (near Jacksonville)...hated it. Did my undergrad at UNF (Jacksonville)...love it. The east side/beaches of area has really exploded since I attended college there. It is really nice. I still think that any other part of Jacksonville is complete ghetto...and there is no chance that I would bring my family back there.

I went to medical school in Bradenton, FL...and it is absolute paradise. What I wouldn't give to be laid out in Siesta Key drinking an alcohol drink right now. If I can land a job somewhere between Tampa and Sarasota...that would be incredibly difficult to pass up.

I have also lived in the panhandle. The beaches are pretty nice...just not as nice as the Tampa area in my opinion. It is also much more rural...which could be good or bad depending on how you look at it.

Expatriot here. Whatever I miss about the gulf coast wears off after a quick visit. I rarely go back now. It has a fascinating history full of subtropical, semi-caribbean weirdness. But that's all been subsumed by a half century of northern migration of old retried f@cks who don't give a crap about anything but their own enjoyment. The rest is rednecks. And then there's always Miami and Orlando. Whatever the hell those places are. I can't make sense of either.

Counting down the days until I can leave this crap hole. Gulf coast is awful and I hate it.

Just curious if anyone knows off the top of their head... My mom and stepfather own two condos in Cape Canaveral/Cocoa Beach (50 min east of Orlando)... What are the chances that would qualify me for in state? ;) Any kind of in that helps right? Lol

I went to high school in GA and what I think the folks in this thread are forgetting to mention (for all you Northerners dreaming of beaches at home) is that while it's pleasant (if you go for the bone dry Christmas sort of thing :p) to be in the South in fall, spring, and winter, that there is a period of time between June and August where it is entirely unbearable to be outdoors.

Perhaps because I am originally from upstate New Yorker but I would much rather push snow around for a couple of months in the winter than feel like my skin is going to melt off in the summer. :poke:

I went to high school in GA and what I think the folks in this thread are forgetting to mention (for all you Northerners dreaming of beaches at home) is that while it's pleasant (if you go for the bone dry Christmas sort of thing :p) to be in the South in fall, spring, and winter, that there is a period of time between June and August where it is entirely unbearable to be outdoors.

Perhaps because I am originally from upstate New Yorker but I would much rather push snow around for a couple of months in the winter than feel like my skin is going to melt off in the summer. :poke:

Ive purposefully went to Florida and Louisiana in the middle of August because it's so unbelievably hot and I love it. But I also have the AC on in my car when it's in the 40s, so I'm a little weather kooky.

Ive purposefully went to Florida and Louisiana in the middle of August because it's so unbelievably hot and I love it. But I also have the AC on in my car when it's in the 40s, so I'm a little weather kooky.

Oh wow. I visited my parents this past July and it was unbearable; over 100 degrees, incredibly sunny, and humid the entire week we were there. Visited them again for two weeks in December and it was 80s or close to and humid. My parents constantly ask me to move near them but then I take these trips to seem them and remember why I still live in the North. Maybe when I get older and my skin gets thinner...

Nonsense. There is no time of the year that I find it unbearable to be outdoors. That's not to say that you don't have to use a modicum of common sense (no running marathons at noon in August with no water). But one thing about Florida is that you are almost always close to the water. Even inland, there are tons of lakes. There are also tons of pools. I think GA is much hotter unless you're by the water or up in the mountains.

I know, I know, New Yorkers are always going on about how great New York is. Oh yeah? If it's so great up there, why are all of the New Yorkers down here? :p

Nonsense. There is no time of the year that I find it unbearable to be outdoors. That's not to say that you don't have to use a modicum of common sense (no running marathons at noon in August with no water). But one thing about Florida is that you are almost always close to the water. Even inland, there are tons of lakes. There are also tons of pools. I think GA is much hotter unless you're by the water or up in the mountains.

I know, I know, New Yorkers are always going on about how great New York is. Oh yeah? If it's so great up there, why are all of the New Yorkers down here? :p

1. I'm an upstate New Yorker...and upstate New York IS great...and absolutely beautiful.
2. Because they got old an their skin got thin! In my old age, I just plan to put on a sweater!