Floridians: How to avoid melting?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

illegallysmooth

Smooth member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all. I'm going to be moving from the frosty Buffalo, NY to humid, subtropical Sarasota, FL.

I love to spend time outdoors, but I am pale, Polish, and better equipped for a blizzard than 95-degree heat. Can you help me put together a list of things to purchase or do?

For example:
-Sunscreen that won't feel icky
-Fabrics - obviously lightweight cotton, but what else?
-Bug spray - what works best?
-Car stuff? Dad said to get a reflective dashboard shield. Is this necessary? Anything else?

And girl stuff:
-Makeup that won't slide off after 3 minutes
-Hair - THERE WILL BE FRIZZ. Right now I use leave-in conditioner and anti-frizz serum. Will this be sufficient? I don't like for my hair to be crunchy (i.e. hairspray or gel).

Also, I have a 27-pound puggle, and welcome any advice for her benefit as well.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Dashboard shield is an absolute NECESSITY! Can't live down here without one... Black leather seats definitely do not help.

Members don't see this ad :)
This doesn't answer any of your questions, but be ready to get sick at least once or twice your first semester.

The weather change is gonna hit you like a smooth criminal

This doesn't answer any of your questions, but be ready to get sick at least once or twice your first semester.

The weather change is gonna hit you like a smooth criminal

Sick, as in...?

Catching colds. The weather is very bipolar here.

I work at a pediatrics clinic. I'm pretty sure my immune system could kill a squirrel in the backyard by now.

Also, I'm wondering, what's the scientific basis for weather change --> catching a cold?

I work at a pediatrics clinic. I'm pretty sure my immune system could kill a squirrel in the backyard by now.

Also, I'm wondering, what's the scientific basis for weather change --> catching a cold?

Don't worry about it. They're definitely correlated.

Sick, as in...?

Sick as in you're physically ill. Cold, flu, etc. Every semester during my freshman and sophomore year, I got sick twice or more a semester to the point where I'd stay bedridden for a few day. This was a shift from Jersey to Tennessee.

You might not have it as bad as I did though. Hopefully your student health center is located close to freshmen dorms unlike mine which was a 4 mile walk down a busy street.

Sick as in you're physically ill. Cold, flu, etc. Every semester during my freshman and sophomore year, I got sick twice or more a semester to the point where I'd stay bedridden for a few day. This was a shift from Jersey to Tennessee.

You might not have it as bad as I did though. Hopefully your student health center is located close to freshmen dorms unlike mine which was a 4 mile walk down a busy street.

Do you think that has anything to do with going to college and not taking care of yourself, while maintaining close contact with so many other people? I thought most people get sick a lot when they go to college, especially if dorming, regardless of location.

Oh yea. And the fact that you're moving into a dorm that has probably 150+ other people exchanging germs won't help matters.

And **** you Cole

Ditto.

It's probably a combination of both. But if you worked at a pediatrics clinic, then maybe you'll be the freshman superman or in this case superwoman of not getting sick.

I thought that too, but your body will have an adjustment period. The temperature change within the day is absurd lol. For example, the low would be 35 deg F and the high would be 85 deg F (yes it is this drastic up in north florida). Or one day it would be hot and the next day it would be cold.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello all. I'm going to be moving from the frosty Buffalo, NY to humid, subtropical Sarasota, FL.

I love to spend time outdoors, but I am pale, Polish, and better equipped for a blizzard than 95-degree heat. Can you help me put together a list of things to purchase or do?

For example:
-Car stuff? Dad said to get a reflective dashboard shield. Is this necessary? Anything else?

And girl stuff:
-Hair - THERE WILL BE FRIZZ. Right now I use leave-in conditioner and anti-frizz serum. Will this be sufficient? I don't like for my hair to be crunchy (i.e. hairspray or gel).

Hair: any of the anti-frizz products by Living Proof. They're truly amazing! Developed by scientists at MIT, I believe. Haha!

Makeup: get a decent primer, that helps keep the makeup from running and what not (Smashbox makes some great ones) :)

LOL this is about climate change as in global warming. Not moving from one location to another.

So you think moving from Buffalo to Florida won't be like global warming, only a hundred times faster? It's pretty clear that weather has some kind of effect on your health. I'm pretty sure your homeostasis will be thrown off for at least a few days when school starts.

Oh yea. And the fact that you're moving into a dorm that has probably 150+ other people exchanging germs won't help matters.

And **** you Cole

I was agreeing with you bro. The weather here in North Texas is ridiculous; one day it'll be 80 and sunny, the next 40 and rainy. Knocks me on my butt every year.

So you think moving from Buffalo to Florida won't be like global warming, only a hundred times faster? It's pretty clear that weather has some kind of effect on your health. I'm pretty sure your homeostasis will be thrown off for at least a few days when school starts.

I'm not debating your last sentence, but did you even read the article you posted, or just the title?

I appreciate your help, but the article is more about long-term effects on the entire population. I'm just wondering if I should put baby powder in my bra, coat myself in DEET, etc.

Hair: any of the anti-frizz products by Living Proof. They're truly amazing! Developed by scientists at MIT, I believe. Haha!

Makeup: get a decent primer, that helps keep the makeup from running and what not (Smashbox makes some great ones) :)

Thanks!!

Yeah bugs are going to be rough

I was agreeing with you bro. The weather here in North Texas is ridiculous; one day it'll be 80 and sunny, the next 40 and rainy. Knocks me on my butt every year.

My bad. SDN is filled w/ so much caustic sarcasm it's hard to tell what's what.

I'm not debating your last sentence, but did you even read the article you posted, or just the title?

I appreciate your help, but the article is more about long-term effects on the entire population. I'm just wondering if I should put baby powder in my bra, coat myself in DEET, etc.

One of its subsections is about Heat Waves. The stress your body will be experiencing on your initial move will be similar to what is described. I'm not going to argue anymore about this. If you think you're straight, then do whatever the hell you want

One of its subsections is about Heat Waves. The stress your body will be experiencing on your initial move will be similar to what is described. I'm not going to argue anymore about this. If you think you're straight, then do whatever the hell you want

Ok. Here's the section on heat waves:

Higher temperatures and heat waves increased demand for electricity and thus combustion of fossil fuels, generating airborne particulates and indirectly leading to increased respiratory disease.

Anyway, I know it's gonna be hot. If anyone has some suggestions for coping with it, that'd be sweet.

we spend most of our time indoors when it's really hot out, unless we're trying to go to the beach. but then that's when you jump into the water to cool down. i usually wear tank tops but always carry a sweater (because after you're all hot and sweaty, the air conditioner hits you hard and then you're practically freezing). if you're ok with going bra-less, tanks with built in bras are also a good option to get rid of a bulky, heat inducing layer. invest in shorts. don't wear anything too tight because you will get frustrated when it starts sticking to you.

i don't wear makeup so i can't help you there. and the hair stuff really depends on the texture of your hair. if you'd use "wavy"/"curly"/"kinky" to describe your hair, get yourself over to naturallycurly.com and ask on their forum (or just look around). if you'd use "straight" then i can't help you.

the animals that want to bite you only come out around dusk. so no need to worry about them during daylight hours. i only wear sunblock when going to the beach, but my facial moisturizer does have spf 15. it's called "purpose" if you're interested. i don't sweat much, so i can't give you info on how it would hold up to that. i generally keep out of the sun, and probably spend less than an hour each day in it. buy a hat and sunglasses. if you wanna be hardcore, bring an umbrella everywhere.

if the dog is living outdoors, make sure she has a shaded area and access to water at all times. ice cubes can be a good idea for especially hot days. concrete does get really hot, and since they can't tell us if it's hurting their feet, i always keep my dog off the concrete on the rare occaison that i walk him midday (we usually just give him the run of the backyard to do his business). hope this helps! if you have any other questions, let me know!

-lifelong tropical weather inhabitant

LOL this is about climate change as in global warming. Not moving from one location to another.

^oh my God, friggin SDN...

Smooth - fluids fluids fluids??? But you already know that. Hey, Buffalo has its own crazy weather right? lol. Lake effect has slayed me plenty of times. My uncle moved to Florida and seemed to do fine??? I don't know, the car windshield thing reminds me of senior citizens or my grandfather and waiting forever for him to set it up when we were going somewhere. It might be useful though, especially with leather seats. I don't think the heat will be the worst part, but the humidity is what makes it tough.

Hopefully some Floridians or southerners can help you here with something useful. The only thing I know about the South is grits are overrated, and taste terrible, and sweet tea is amazing. (watch this hijack the thread.. if so, sorry...:hijacked:)

Not from Florida, but we do hit the 90s with high humidity here sometimes :)

-Sunscreen: Shiseido's sunscreens are awesome, but expensive.

-Makeup: I use mineral makeup and it's really good for sticking on, especially if you use a finishing veil with silica. Silica is badass for keeping sweat from melting your makeup off your face - you can buy transparent silica spheres that will do the trick of a finishing powder.

You could also probably use your traditional makeup if you use a primer underneath. I don't know your budget here, because primers are often really expensive. They're usually made up of dimethicone, cyclopentasiloxane (and probably some useless extracts at the bottom of the ingredients list) that form a silicone barrier against sweat. Primers go on before foundation. I know of a couple budget primers, one of which is really pretty funny. Using them will clog your skin if you don't wash them off properly.

Revlon Colorstay is known as a really good, cheap foundation option that actually does stay on all day.

-Hair: Some people hate silicones on their hair (because they weigh it down and are hard to wash off without a harsh shampoo) but personally I can't live without them. They're the only thing keeping my Shakira-like head from turning into a straight up lion's mane in the summer. I use a 2-in-1 shampoo/conditioner combo AND THEN a different conditioner. I'm cheap as hell so I just use Suave.

For example:

And girl stuff:

How come moving to Sarasota?? You doing some external rotation or something there??? Just curious. that is where I am moving back to at the end of july due to lack of getting a job to fund staying up here in boston. but its ok at least I got a research gig for my thesis lined up . YAY :D

I get sick down there more then up here in Boston. But here is why.

I get bad allergies down there. There is a lot of pollination and stuff like that down in the south that is hard to avoid. In the NE its less due to the fact the plants are dead half the year and the other half the foliage of the north is just not as bad as oak trees and other foliage of the south.

If I don't have allergy pills right away it gets exacerbated and starts turning into cold like symptoms.

Its just a matter of getting acclimatized. I work out in my garage where it is 100+F most of the time, with humidity around 90%.....I love it. Sometimes before working out I go do any errands I need to do, and by the time I get back my car is really hot, so I put it in, and that raises the temp of the garage by another 5 degrees.
105 degrees, 90%humidity- I hope I dont die on the treadmill one of these days.

Anyways, youll be ok.

Oh and I am in Houston, not Sarasota, so it might be slightly different for you.

Ok. Here's the section on heat waves:

Higher temperatures and heat waves increased demand for electricity and thus combustion of fossil fuels, generating airborne particulates and indirectly leading to increased respiratory disease.

Anyway, I know it's gonna be hot. If anyone has some suggestions for coping with it, that'd be sweet.

like I said, I'm not arguing about this anymore

It'll be all the funnier if you do get sick from the sudden weather shift

LOL..My grandmother used to say the same thing and my mom would always ask for the "pathophysiology of such an occurrence". Growing up I had no idea what they were talking about.... It has to be a tropical myth,,,:D

if you wanna be hardcore, bring an umbrella everywhere.

Get a heavy duty umbrella.
This is my suggestion also. A light-colored umbrella provides instant shade which feels cooler. I use the tiny fold-up kind when i visit Florida.

Until you're acclimated, carry fluids and drink often.

Keep the shades down wherever you live so it stays cooler inside.

Using makeup at all seems problematic.

It's not like you're preparing for a month long hike into a volcano or something.... just use common sense and dress comfortably.

Most of the time you'll be inside with air-conditioning anyway, unless you are purposing outside for an outside type activity... beach, park, sports, etc... And even then you'll dress for those appropriately.

A windshield screen can be real helpful, and having having working A/C in your car is basically a must.

Allergies can be bad down here, we do get a lot of pollen, grasses, etc that some people may not be used to until they get here.

That said you should enjoy Sarasota, close to the beach and kind of laid back and usually a decent breeze that keeps temps slightly more mild than more inland areas of Florida.

It's not like you're preparing for a month long hike into a volcano or something.... just use common sense and dress comfortably.

Most of the time you'll be inside with air-conditioning anyway, unless you are purposing outside for an outside type activity... beach, park, sports, etc... And even then you'll dress for those appropriately.

A windshield screen can be real helpful, and having having working A/C in your car is basically a must.

Allergies can be bad down here, we do get a lot of pollen, grasses, etc that some people may not be used to until they get here.

That said you should enjoy Sarasota, close to the beach and kind of laid back and usually a decent breeze that keeps temps slightly more mild than more inland areas of Florida.

You should go to Siesta Key beach. Since the oil spill hasn't affected Sarasota beaches. Its the best ever. :D

And yes A/C in your car is a must. try not to get a dark color car esp. not one with dark seats.

And keep bottle water or some sort of water thermus with you cuz it gets hot quickly and you find yourself needing it.

Sarasota is rather quiet compared to the city but then you are from upstate so I imagine it might not be too much of a culture shock.

and if you want some pretty places to visit: selby gardens, Ringling Museum, marina jack, and siesta key beach, not to mention St. Armand's Circle. :D

Siesta Key is a must, one of the better beaches in Florida in my opinion. Grew up in Orlando area, but lived in Bradenton for first 2 years of med school, currently in St Pete area. Definitely prefer the gulf beaches, and Siesta Key is nice.

Born and raised and never leaving Florida. :D

Siesta Key is a must, one of the better beaches in Florida in my opinion. Grew up in Orlando area, but lived in Bradenton for first 2 years of med school, currently in St Pete area. Definitely prefer the gulf beaches, and Siesta Key is nice.

Born and raised and never leaving Florida. :D

Yeah I agree. Its so gorgeous and the sand is so soft and pretty and white.

I'm considering going to Nova SE (Tampa or Ft. Lauderdale) to become an AA, and I was wondering about this stuff as well. I'm a guy living in Massachusetts, where the weather is crummy more often than it's nice. Are the guys down there wearing baseball caps and spf 45 sunscreen? Also, do you go swimming year round?

What sort of toll does the weather take on cars down there? Up here the snow and road salt can wreak havoc. If I get accepted to Nova I'll probably take my car and have to drive it all the way from Mass to Florida, haha. Any places I should stop to see on my road trip?

I guess my last concern is hurricanes. How do I avoid getting washed away if I'm living in a coastal city? Are the houses that get knocked over really flimsy ones?

I'm considering going to Nova SE (Tampa or Ft. Lauderdale) to become an AA, and I was wondering about this stuff as well. I'm a guy living in Massachusetts, where the weather is crummy more often than it's nice. Are the guys down there wearing baseball caps and spf 45 sunscreen? Also, do you go swimming year round?

I'm only wearing sunscreen if I'm by the pool or at the beach. Really, I'm only outside for any real length of time if I'm lounging by the pool, beach, running, or some other outdoor activity. Other than that I'm in the A/C.

What sort of toll does the weather take on cars down there? Up here the snow and road salt can wreak havoc. If I get accepted to Nova I'll probably take my car and have to drive it all the way from Mass to Florida, haha. Any places I should stop to see on my road trip?

If you take it to the beach a lot you still get some salt damage after a while, probably nothing like what you're used to up north though. Other than that it's just heat. Put up the shield thing to keep inside temperature below roasting and help protect dashboard, and don't leave anything that might melt inside your car. A garage is really useful.

Road trip.... I love the mountains and I think North Carolina is gorgeous if you like that sort of stuff. I'm born and raised in Florida so it's nice to go see something other than flat lands and huge expansive blue sky every once in a while.

I guess my last concern is hurricanes. How do I avoid getting washed away if I'm living in a coastal city? Are the houses that get knocked over really flimsy ones?

I've been through several hurricanes/tropical storms and it's just something you get used to and learn to prepare for. Unless you are right on the beach, next to a river, or in a predetermined "flood zone" then you really won't have to worry about getting washed away. Unless it's a Cat 3 or higher that's bearing down directly toward me I'm not too concerned about huge wind damage in most well constructed homes. If a hurricane is heading toward you there will pretty much be 24hr/day news coverage going on and you'll know if they want you to evacuate or not. Other than that you just make sure you have enough supplies on hand (non perishable food, water, flashlight, radio, etc...) and hunker down. I'd much rather deal with hurricanes than unpredictable earthquakes or random mid western monster tornadoes.

Sunscreen - Neutrogena Ultra Sheer Dry Touch - it's pretty inexpensive, feels very lightweight and completely non-sticky on the skin, and comes in both lotion and spray forms.

Fabrics - I don't really pay that much attention to fabrics as long as it's not like leather or something. :p Be sure to stock up on tank tops, light dresses, breathable shorts/pants, and sandals or flip flops!

Bug spray - I really don't think you'll need to be wearing this on a regular basis, except if you're going to be outdoors a lot at night or something.

Makeup - I would go for as less makeup as possible. Sweating under a full face of foundation, blush, eyeshadow, etc. just feels gross. For foundation, I would use the mineral powder forms if possible. They just feel lighter on the skin.

Hair - I don't know much about anti-frizz products, but I would learn to style your hair up, especially during the summertime. I never go outside during the summer without bringing a ponytail holder or some hair clips with me. Things like ponytails, buns, hair twists can be dressed up/down and just keep you so much cooler.

Last edited:
Sunscreen - Neutrogena Ultra Sheer Dry Touch - it's pretty inexpensive, feels very lightweight and completely non-sticky on the skin, and comes in both lotion and spray forms.

Fabrics - I don't really pay that much attention to fabrics as long as it's not like leather or something. :p Be sure to stock up on tank tops, light dresses, breathable shorts/pants, and sandals or flip flops!

Bug spray - I really don't think you'll need to be wearing this on a regular basis, except if you're going to be outdoors a lot at night or something.

Makeup - I would go for as less makeup as possible. Sweating under a full face of foundation, blush, eyeshadow, etc. just feels gross. For foundation, I would use the mineral powder forms if possible. They just feel lighter on the skin.

Hair - I don't know much about anti-frizz products, but I would learn to style your hair up, especially during the summertime. I never go outside during the summer without bringing a ponytail holder or some hair clips with me. Things like ponytails, buns, hair twists can be dressed up/down and just keep you so much cooler.

This is all pretty good advice. I have a little bit more to add:

Sunscreen: I'm fairly pale, and I almost never use sunscreen. I just spray or rub in something with a 30 or 45 SPF when I'm going to the beach or laying out at the pool. You're not going to get sunburned walking to class unless you're one of those super-pale people who can't tan at all. During the less humid parts of the year, I wear Olay Regenerist (SPF 15) on my face because I don't want to have sun-damaged skin and it's a nice moisturizer. I can't wear it during the summer because it makes my skin too oily.

Fabrics: Flip flops are essential. I wear Reefs (JCPenny's has them right now), which my podiatrist says are one of the few flip flop brands that are actually good for your feet. Also, be sure to use a deodorant that's also an antiperspirant for most of the year. I can get away with using a non-antiperspirant one during the winter. You can't really wear layers in Florida because it's just too darn hot, so don't buy shirts that require a cami to be worn underneath.

Bugspray: Ditto. Bugs aren't bad except when it gets dusky or dark outside, and even then it's not that bad unless you're walking around in a grassy area or something. If you go camping, you will probably get ticks unless you apply bugspray with Deet very librally.

Make-up: The best make-up I've found is Bare Minerals with primer. My face is prone to getting pretty oily, and it seems to take longer to do that when I'm wearing this make-up. Aside from that, I just wear chapstick and a little bit of Estee Lauder eyebrow pencil/gel stuff. You really don't need much else, and if you apply too much then it'll just make you sweatier. Your best bet is just to have good eyebrow maintenance and to take care of your skin; that way, you'll look good and clean-cut without much make-up.

Hair:
1) Most people's hair is a little bit frizzy in Florida, but it is SOOO much easier to keep it frizz-free if you don't highlight your hair. I battled with my highlighted hair for years, and when I finally grew it out, I was amazed by how much easier it was to work with.

2) Up north some people can get away with washing their hair only a few times/week, but most people here have to wash their hair every day, which means that you have to be kind to your hair: don't use a very strong shampoo. I like Head and Shoulders; it smells nice, cleans my hair really well, and doesn't dry it out. Any old conditioner works; right now I'm using Pantene.

3) If you really want that shiny+straight look, you will have to use a straightening iron and some sort of smoothing/straightening serum. Redken hair products work well, and ceramic straightening irons work best. However, the combination of straightening your hair and getting slightly sweaty will make your hair really flat on your head, so you might need some hairspray to give you some lift. My sister uses White Rain. I don't like the whole crunchy hair thing, so I just let my hair be slightly frizzy and keep my natural volume.

4) Hair ties, crab clips, short hair cuts -- really, anything that will get your hair off the back of your neck -- will really help make the heat more bearable.

Allergies: Be prepared to have allergies. The humidity makes it really easy for mold to grow in your home, and it makes it really easy for dust mites to live in your mattress. My parents use a dehumidifier, HEPA air filter, and allergen-proof mattress covers and pillow covers (the ones that zip up and encase the whole mattress or pillow). 100% cotton sheets are definitely the way to go if you ever get sweaty at night. Wood and imitation-wood floors are better than carpet; they don't hold moisture, and sweeping is easier than vacuuming. I also take singulair and claratin, which really help prevent allergy headaches and congestion.

I grew up in Orlando (I go to undergrad in VA now)

I guess I'm concurring with the sunscreen/bug spray tidbits - just wear sunscreen on your face. I bought a jar of Avon Solutions (the combination skin/oily/normal any of those) and it holds up well under primer. Or you can just wear it alone under make-up. I'm a runner too and wearing it doesn't make my face feel like I'm suffocating.

What part of FL are you going to? I'm jealous :]

I'd keep an extra shirt in your car for those scortching days and extra deo in your purse just in case!

For example:

And girl stuff:

I don't really have suggestions for the sunscreen or bug spray, but I do know that although the dashboard shield does help keep the interior of your car cool, it's definitely optional.

As for the girl stuff... Do you wear a lot of eye makeup? If so, I highly recommend using a cream base (the one I use is from Estee Lauder) for your eyelid before you put on your eye makeup. This will set your eye makeup, and you shouldn't have any trouble at all with it running. As for foundation, I would recommend using as little liquid or cream foundation as possible. If you can help it, just stick with a powder or a powder/cream mix (like the one Merle Norman makes). That way, you can just touch up or easily re-apply as you see fit.

For your dog, make sure he has water, and try to keep him out of the heat as much as possible, especially if he has a darker coat. Also, make sure he has a good summer cut of hair (nice and short!).

Thanks for all the advice, guys. Very helpful.

I love the idea of using a shampoo + conditioner combo instead of shampoo, and then a conditioner on top of that. I have wavy hair that tends to frizz and curl up. I gave up highlighting and straightening it (except on rare occasions) years ago because of the damage it did to my hair.

My skin has been improving, so I'll definitely try mineral powder again. I think just a touch of concealer here and there, and the mineral powder on top should be just fine. I tend to get oily, so I'm going to check out a primer and silica finishing powder as suggested.

I hate being a girl.

EDIT: if anyone happens to know of a really good smudge-proof eyeliner and/or mascara, that'd be awesome :)

Thanks for all the advice, guys. Very helpful.

I love the idea of using a shampoo + conditioner combo instead of shampoo, and then a conditioner on top of that. I have wavy hair that tends to frizz and curl up. I gave up highlighting and straightening it (except on rare occasions) years ago because of the damage it did to my hair.

My skin has been improving, so I'll definitely try mineral powder again. I think just a touch of concealer here and there, and the mineral powder on top should be just fine. I tend to get oily, so I'm going to check out a primer and silica finishing powder as suggested.

I hate being a girl.

EDIT: if anyone happens to know of a really good smudge-proof eyeliner and/or mascara, that'd be awesome :)

I personally would not recommend using a silicone-based primer or finishing powder on a daily basis. They are great for special events and for appearances on stage, but for daily use, they would do a real number on your skin. The benefit of using them is that they do set your makeup very well, especially if the look you are building requires a lot of heavy foundation, concealer, bronzers/blushes, etc. That being said though, I do love the Smashbox Photo Finish primer that you can get at Sephora. Now, other than silicone-based finishing powders, I do really like Smashbox's Halo Hydrating Perfecting Powder, which works wonders for preventing your face from becoming oily, evening your skin tone, and smoothing lines and pores.

Also, like I said in my post before, I highly highly recommend using a cream base for eye makeup. This will make your eyeliner stay put for the entire day, regardless of sweat and humidity!

Last edited:
The product reviews and forums of http://www.makeupalley.com are extremely helpful. It's where I found out about the greatest primer ever: http://www.drugstore.com/products/prod.asp?pid=139254&catid=26832
I'll use it even if I'm skipping makeup for the day. It really keeps the shine down.

On clothing:
Jezebel - How to Not Look Like Crap When It's Hot
http://jezebel.com/5554723/dress-code-how-not-to-look-like-crap-when-its-hot

I like Mac's Powerpoint line. Prestige (drugstore brand) also makes great waterproof liners. To really set pencil eyeliner, go over the line with a matching powder eyeshadow with a small brush. This also helps fill in any little gaps or spots you missed.

A FL resident here: Not a girl so no make up tips::: Its not the heat that will get you but the high humidity. Someday its like walking in and out of a freaking sauna going from the inside to the outside. Stay inside as much as you can especially around 12 to 3 and you will thank me later.
DONT drink water that you left inside you car all day sometime the plastic bottle will melt and release those chemicals plus it tastes nasty. Same can be said for food, you dont want your car smelling like a dump.

**Get a hurricane kit or just stock up on supplies (extra water bottles, some dry food, battery, flashlight,)

Siesta Keys is a must!! :thumbup: