Flu Shot Clinic

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mcat14

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
How are you guys doing with flu shot clinic (off site)???
How do you guys getting paid???
By total clinic hrs OR total time you spent to do the whole clinic (setup time plus actual clinic) OR by no. of flu shots

In my district we have been told we will get by no. of flu shots (15 flu shots = 1 hr pay),but if we do more we do not get paid extra. so lets just say if you get 15 flu shots in 2 hrs period you still only get paid for 1 hr even if you are there for 2 hrs but if you do 60 you still get paid for 2 hrs only. Not to mention we have to do 13 off site clinics per store (It's in our "plan")

Members don't see this ad.

Dear God who do you work for?

I get paid time spent at clinic only. I try to do all the prep work when I'm at the store so at least I'm getting paid for it.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm not so sure it is CVS. They were going away from doing clinics as not enough flu shots were being generated in good number of them.

13 clinics per store is a lot. No way they are high volume clinics, which is why they put 15 shots per hour into it. You probably come in, do 5-10, waste your time and don't get paid. Do 13 of these and most stores will reach target with zero impact on expenses.

I'm not so sure it is CVS. They were going away from doing clinics as not enough flu shots were being generated in good number of them.

13 clinics per store is a lot. No way they are high volume clinics, which is why they put 15 shots per hour into it. You probably come in, do 5-10, waste your time and don't get paid. Do 13 of these and most stores will reach target with zero impact on expenses.
I'll second that notion. A few of my friends with CVS have said that they weren't making agreements with sites to do clinics if they weren't guaranteed at least 50 shots there.

Yeah, this does not sound like CVS to me. I have not heard of any stores doing 13 clinics (let along EVERY store doing 13 clinics), we are not paid per shot, and as others have said CVS is moving away from the clinics anyway. Most clinics just don't get anywhere near the number of shots CVS wants them to get.

Let me guess - Walgreens? I remember a friend who works for Walgreens complaining (though it was last season) that she had to do a four hour flu shot clinic and didn't get paid for it because she was filling in for the pharmacy manager at the time...

He works for CVS. The bullshi* company.

I am pretty sure he does not work for CVS. I third that notion.

They made it clear that they do not want any clinics doing under 50 shots...

I have been to clinics where we do less shots than I could count with one hand... and I got them black listed for future clinics.

The truth is, we can get more shots in working in the pharmacy. I dont know about you guys but I am doing 20 shots a day in store without pushing it now. Last night, we did 10 shots after 8pm. WTF. I just wanted to clean up and go home.

How much are the chains making off each flu shot? They have to be getting a huge discount buying them in bulk.

How much are the chains making off each flu shot? They have to be getting a huge discount buying them in bulk.

I personally don't think we are making anything on these flu shots. Its possible we might even be losing money. My chain is only charging $15.99

Pretty sure 13 offsite flu clinics was a goal of Rite Aid, I've heard profit is ~10$/flu shot depending on reimbursement and price point ($31.99).

Blame it on Ebola. We should hit our seasonal ~800 target in 2-3 weeks at this pace.

Pretty sure 13 offsite flu clinics was a goal of Rite Aid, I've heard profit is ~10$/flu shot depending on reimbursement and price point ($31.99).

yup Its Rite aid, they are getting very aggressive year by year @ flu shots and immunization. Our store goal is 1100~ this year and this is just for flu shots. PLUS we have goal of 300~ miscellaneous immunizations. And yeah my store goal is better that other stores in my district. ~1700 flu shot :wow: .

I HIGHLY doubt Its $10/ flu shot. It has to be atleast $15/ flu shot for trivalent and much more for quadrivalent and High dose flu shot

Last edited:
The miscellaneous shots should be easy with the updated Prevnar recommendations. Once the insurances started covering them we were giving 10 a day easily.

yup Its Rite aid, they are getting very aggressive year by year @ flu shots and immunization. Our store goal is 1100~ this year and this is just for flu shots. PLUS we have goal of 300~ miscellaneous immunizations. And yeah my store goal is better that other stores in my district. ~1700 flu shot :wow: .

I HIGHLY doubt Its $10/ flu shot. It has to be atleast $15/ flu shot for trivalent and much more for quadrivalent and High dose flu shot

Talk about setting people up for failure..... 1700 shots is insane...

The profit on the flu shot varies, but is usually 20 dollars minus labor and supplies. The cost of vaccines is 10 dollars and most insurance reimburses 26 to 32 dollars. I have customers who would pay cash for it than go to the doctor's office because their doctor's co-pay is 25 dollars... and they have to wait an hour.

In addition, a lot of people with Obama care plans have high deductibles so it might end up costing them more.

The one thing that is helping my store out is the Ebola scare. For some reason..., every speech by the mayor, governor, ends with, don't worry about Ebola, and get your flu shot.

Its free advertising.

I heard the profit for flu shot also depends if you are selling a prefilled syringe or using the multi dose vial

did a flu clinic last Wed, I personally did about 150 shots, but the girl sitting in front of me did over 200 shots. We had 8 pharmacists that day. that site is a money cow.

The one thing that is helping my store out is the Ebola scare. For some reason..., every speech by the mayor, governor, ends with, don't worry about Ebola, and get your flu shot.

Its free advertising.

and the same thing is gonna hurt your store next year when there will be no Ebola scare and your store's flu shot goal will be higher than this year but you will still somehow have to reach that goal. :nod::uhno:

and the same thing is gonna hurt your store next year when there will be no Ebola scare and your store's flu shot goal will be higher than this year but you will still somehow have to reach that goal. :nod::uhno:

Yeah, I learned that lesson the year after the swine flu scare.

Targets definitely goes up. There is always a scare every year. I was surprised this year was Ebola. Last year was the strain that caused more deaths in healthy adults..., year before that was swine or Aviane.

I take it year by year but so far, exceeded all of my targets. I do not want to but they just keep on coming....

Another thing that I notice is that more customers are coming to the pharmacy even if their insurance does not cover it. The co-pay is the same at the doctors office.

It also seems like everybody who is coming, keeps on coming back every year. It is starting to be something that they have to do....

Maybe workplace flu clinics and non stop talk about getting flu shots is programming it into their head that it is normal and if you don't get it, you will die. Or maybe it is because they are not using needles as much.

Does any of the oldies here remember the days when you order BOXES of Tamiflus and stock them because you know they will run out? I remember dispensing them like zpacks..., and the solution would always run out so we would pre compound it (according to state laws), because they were highly in demand. This was CVS....

The last two years or so, I barely dispense them anymore.

Does any of the oldies here remember the days when you order BOXES of Tamiflus and stock them because you know they will run out? I remember dispensing them like zpacks..., and the solution would always run out so we would pre compound it (according to state laws), because they were highly in demand. This was CVS....
The last two years or so, I barely dispense them anymore.

Yes, I remember when everybody wanted Tamiflu for any little sniffle they got. I think its popularity dropped off after the reports of it causing teenage suicide went out, also people figured out it was no miracle drug anyway.