FMG and anesthesia

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

immd2005

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was just wondering what my chances of getting an anesthesia residency was if i am FMG with a step 1 score of 81% and pending step 2 scores. i know this past year anesthesia was relatively easier to get than the previous years and was wondering my chances were, and or if it was worht applying for anesthesia in 2005.

t

Members don't see this ad.

Originally posted by immd2005
I was just wondering what my chances of getting an anesthesia residency was if i am FMG with a step 1 score of 81% and pending step 2 scores. i know this past year anesthesia was relatively easier to get than the previous years and was wondering my chances were, and or if it was worht applying for anesthesia in 2005.

t

Your Step I score is a "two-point score", not a percentage. Make note of this now because some PDs apparently will slam you for making this assumption considering a lack of attention to detail.

Otherwise, I don't know what the chances are myself as I'm pretty much in the same boat as yourself.

-Skip

i know this past year anesthesia was relatively easier to get than the previous years and was wondering my chances were, and or if it was worht applying for anesthesia in 2005.

Actually anesthesia was not relatively easier to get into this year than previous years. It was easier to get into a few years ago than it is now.

Members don't see this ad :)
I would say the competitiveness has been relatively the same the last 3 years.

That's true but it was much less competitive in the 90's. Many programs couldn't get residents to fill their spots.

The anesthesiology residency game is competitive. You will need a step 2 score at or near the 90's. You will also need great LOR's. Work on your personal statements. They will help some. PM me if you want constructive criticism. Your low 80's score on Step 1 will need an explanation. Good luck!