FMG and anesthesia

Discussion in 'Anesthesiology' started by immd2005, Mar 31, 2004.

1. immd2005

immd2005 New Member

I was just wondering what my chances of getting an anesthesia residency was if i am FMG with a step 1 score of 81% and pending step 2 scores. i know this past year anesthesia was relatively easier to get than the previous years and was wondering my chances were, and or if it was worht applying for anesthesia in 2005.

t

2. Skip Intro

Skip Intro Registered User
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Your Step I score is a "two-point score", not a percentage. Make note of this now because some PDs apparently will slam you for making this assumption considering a lack of attention to detail.

Otherwise, I don't know what the chances are myself as I'm pretty much in the same boat as yourself.

-Skip

3. gaslady

gaslady Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Actually anesthesia was not relatively easier to get into this year than previous years. It was easier to get into a few years ago than it is now.

4. Test Boy

Test Boy Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

I would say the competitiveness has been relatively the same the last 3 years.

5. gaslady

gaslady Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

That's true but it was much less competitive in the 90's. Many programs couldn't get residents to fill their spots.

6. docmojo

docmojo Member
    7+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    The anesthesiology residency game is competitive. You will need a step 2 score at or near the 90's. You will also need great LOR's. Work on your personal statements. They will help some. PM me if you want constructive criticism. Your low 80's score on Step 1 will need an explanation. Good luck!