FMG USMLE scores

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SeamusMcFly

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have 199 in USMLE step 1 what is my chances of getting a residency in path?What is the cutoff for competitive places like UPenn?........Does it help if you are Irish?

Members don't see this ad.

SeamusMcFly said:
I have 199 in USMLE step 1 what is my chances of getting a residency in path?What is the cutoff for competitive places like UPenn?........Does it help if you are Irish?

Have you ever seen The Boondock Saints?

Members don't see this ad :)
SeamusMcFly said:
No.What is that?

Dude thats the test. If you havent seen The Boondock Saints youre not really Irish, nice try.

B00006JY6A.02.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

It was a low budget Indie film produced around 5 years ago that was banned from theatres. Consider by many to be one of the greatest films ever made.

CONNOR: Now you will receive us!
MURPHY: We do not ask for your poor, or your hungry
CONNOR: We do not want your tired or sick
MURPHY: It is your corrupt we claim
CONNOR: It is your evil that will be sought by us
MURPHY: With every breath, we shall hunt them down
CONNOR: Each day, we will spill their blood, 'till it rains down from the skies!
MURPHY: Do not kill, do not rape, do not steal. These are principles which every man, of every faith can embrace.
CONNOR: These are not polite suggestions. These are codes of behaviour. And those of you that ignore them will pay the dearest cost.
MURPHY: There are varying degrees of evil. We urge your lesser forms of filth not to push the bounds and cross over - into true corruption, into our domain.
CONNOR: But, if you do, one day you will look behind you, and you will see we three. And on that day, you will reap it!
MURPHY: And we will send you to whatever God you wish.

I must keep an eye out for that one,looks like a great flick.Anyways I am off for a pint in Hartigans-100 leeson st,100% fun

LADoc00 said:
Dude thats the test. If you havent seen The Boondock Saints youre not really Irish, nice try.

B00006JY6A.02.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

It was a low budget Indie film produced around 5 years ago that was banned from theatres. Consider by many to be one of the greatest films ever made.

Dude...that movie was the bomb!

SeamusMcFly said:

Let's just say if you received a 99 on both Step I and Step II...it would be nothing special! It's all networking, bro. Rotate @ the place you want to do your residency and use your social skills. A FMG on paper without a face is dangerous (be it a 199 or a 299 on Step I)...it's essential to show 'em you can speak english!

Harbster said:
.it's essential to show 'em you can speak english!
This is just a guess.. but probably from Ireland he can muster some phrases in English.

Unless he's from the northern coast and only speaks gaelic.

Harbster's English worsens exponentially after about the 8th Guinness (or Blue Moon).

Harbster said:
it's essential to show 'em you can speak english!

Now i wonder how would one go about doing THAT??????

AndyMilonakis said:
Harbster's English worsens exponentially after about the 8th Guinness (or Blue Moon).

As long as I beat your a$$ in pool...hell with the english! :laugh:

Harbster said:
As long as I beat your a$$ in pool...hell with the english! :laugh:
you were lucky those last 3 games. just remember that i showed you who's yer daddy in the first 2 games before I got my drink on. ;)

Harbster said:
Dude...that movie was the bomb!

I have saw the boondock saints and I must say offers a realistic viewpoint on being Irish.Great film.Poor Ron Jeremy.
As for the gaelic-I am from the northern coast and cannot speak it.Hardly anyone does

SeamusMcFly said:
As for the gaelic-I am from the northern coast and cannot speak it.Hardly anyone does

On the other hand the little town where my grandparents vaccationed no one spoke English, and trying to figure out where the pub was proved to be quite difficult when all you know is how to bless yourself and say kiss my ass.

Megalofyia said:
On the other hand the little town where my grandparents vaccationed no one spoke English, and trying to figure out where the pub was proved to be quite difficult when all you know is how to bless yourself and say kiss my ass.

They love a bit of inbreeding in those places and only tourists ever go there.There is one place i know of where half the town has the same surname

They love a bit of inbreeding in those places and only tourists ever go there.There is one place i know of where half the town has the same surname.

SeamusMcFly said:
They love a bit of inbreeding in those places and only tourists ever go there.There is one place i know of where half the town has the same surname.
You seem kind of bitter about this.
I dont know where your going but this place wouldnt' be the height of a touristy place. My grandparents had a caravan there for that very reason, to get away from people. Also, my grandparents knew gaelic well so it wasn't an issue for them to go.

Megalofyia said:
You seem kind of bitter about this.
I dont know where your going but this place wouldnt' be the height of a touristy place. My grandparents had a caravan there for that very reason, to get away from people. Also, my grandparents knew gaelic well so it wasn't an issue for them to go.

Just telling it as it is.

Where did you go to medical school Seamus? I have a friend from outside of Larne who did medical school at University of Edinburgh and was looking into doing residency in medicine here. He said that the British medical system is generally well respected by residency directors, and I assume that would include Irish schools as well. I can't give you any more specifics because he decided to stay in Scotland, but he was definitely encouraged to apply.

AnnaLee said:
Where did you go to medical school Seamus? I have a friend from outside of Larne who did medical school at University of Edinburgh and was looking into doing residency in medicine here. He said that the British medical system is generally well respected by residency directors, and I assume that would include Irish schools as well. I can't give you any more specifics because he decided to stay in Scotland, but he was definitely encouraged to apply.

Thanks for that.University College Dublin is the place.Residency directors in Boston tend to look favorably on the irish but othe than that i dont know.

SeamusMcFly said:
Thanks for that.University College Dublin is the place.Residency directors in Boston tend to look favorably on the irish but othe than that i dont know.
From what I keep hearing is that matching in pathology isn't that hard, because there are so many programs out there. However, everyone is telling me that matching into the big name places: MGH, BWH, Hopkins, etc... is now very difficult for US grads, let alone IMGs.