Food bank vs Adults with disability community experience

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

stu.dying

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi!
So I currently volunteer at the food bank and also with adults with developmental delays- however I only have time now to do one. I enjoy both equally- wondering if anyone knows which will add more to my med application?
Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Which experience do you enjoy more?

Reactions: 1 user
Hi!
So I currently volunteer at the food bank and also with adults with developmental delays- however I only have time now to do one. I enjoy both equally- wondering if anyone knows which will add more to my med application?
Thanks
Whichever one you like more. If you like them equally, whichever has the least time commitment so you have more time to focus on classes (assuming that lower commitment is still enough to get you >150 hours community service)

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Do it because you like it and not because it will add to your application. Both populations are equally deserving of help. So pick the one you feel most committed to.

Thank you! That all makes sense- I guess it just depends on time commitment

One of my friends was telling me that the Ronald Mcdonald family rooms are better experience (clinical ish where you let people into NICU etc)- wondering if that's true for some of the top 20 schools?

Thank you! That all makes sense- I guess it just depends on time commitment

One of my friends was telling me that the Ronald Mcdonald family rooms are better experience (clinical ish where you let people into NICU etc)- wondering if that's true for some of the top 20 schools?
Don’t focus on what specific schools ‘look for.’ Do what you like, that matters vastly more. That sounds like it would be Clinical (See @LizzyM quotes for best definition of clinical). However, if you just do something for your application as opposed to actually caring about something they can tell and it will highlight you in a negative light.

If you are face to face with people food insecurity at the food bank then the two are equal and you can flip a coin. If not stick with the people with disabilities. Ronald McDonald House usually winds up being housekeeping and similar chores in support of families with a sick child

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
If you are face to face with people food insecurity at the food bank then the two are equal and you can flip a coin. If not stick with the people with disabilities. Ronald McDonald House usually winds up being housekeeping and similar chores in support of families with a sick child

Would you consider volunteering at the Ronald McDonald house serving the underserved or is that only for working with the poor/homeless/disabled?

Would you consider volunteering at the Ronald McDonald house serving the underserved or is that only for working with the poor/homeless/disabled?

Well, most people can’t afford to pay out of pocket for a hotel room and restaurant meals for weeks while out of town with a sick child in a specialty hospital. So, you are providing services that people can’t buy themselves. But most of these folks are middle class folks who aren’t much different from your own neighbors. Working with poor/homeless/disabled/institutionalized does expose you to a different lifestyle/culture.

Reactions: 1 user