for all those who did not match

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

futureidoc

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
there seems to be alot of discussion for all those who matched this year. first off, my warm congratulations to all of you. but for those of us who did not match and are trying to pick up the peices, i thought that i would start a new thread so that we can maybe find out some useful information. i am anxiously awaiting some post-match spots, but am not very hopeful as last year i think that there was just one.

well i guess that everyone knows of stony brook. but i am getting conflicting information about it. sfmatch is telling me that there was an error by the program in which they accidentally put 1 less available spot on the website that can be filled, i.e. a mistake on their part. but when i called stony brook, they said that it was a brand new program and is interviewing for 6 positions. so the latter would actually be really cool, and give many of us a fighting chance.

in any event, i thought that it would be a nice idea to have one central location on which to post all relevent information regarding the post-match for all of us who did not match, including open positions (for both 2007 and 2008, as some of us - like me - will be finishing up their prelim year in another 6 months) or if they know of someone leaving/transfering from a program, or new updates/news from sfmatch.

i hope that you all find this helpful, because i know that i definitely will. i know that post-match can get a little "cut throat" since there are so many people looking for spots and information is scarce. but i truly believe that we will end up where we are meant to end up and we don't have much control over this stuff and all we can do is try our best. so let's all post in the best of spirits and respect for one another. good luck to all of the other people out there who did not match.

Members don't see this ad.

i didnt match either. and of course i also heard about stony brook but i have not even sent my application in yet. i'm not even sure if i should at this point since there are around 200 unmatched applicants who will be competing against me for the 6 spots. i feel sorry for the PD at stonybrook who probably got 200 CV's via email in a matter of hours!

I'm a third year student who frequently browse the ophtho forums. I don't have any advice or info to give, but just wanted to say good luck and hope that everything works out for you.

Members don't see this ad :)
How much research must one do?

Last edited:
well i that's a hard decision and it's only you who can make it. i suppose that both have their pluses and minuses. but i would opt for going into internal medicine because then at least you have a back up. hope this helps.

I know that at the Nassau program Stony Brook was responsible for the VA rotation and some private call. Does this mean that Stony Brook will no longer do that or is the position actually at Nassau? Just curious.

Hi guys, my condolences, I didn't match either.

I am trying to figure out at this stage if finishing pgy1 and going for a pgy2 internal medicine where I have the chance of doing research and ELECTIVES in ophthalmology vs. going for a paid research fellowship in ophthalmology for a year or 2 and re-applying to ophthalmology.

I already took a year off to do research at Wilmer, and got half a dozen publications, but apparently that is not enough!

How much research must one do?

What is your take on this one guys?

What were your board scores/ med school? ANd with whom did you do research with at Wilmer?

i didnt match either. and of course i also heard about stony brook but i have not even sent my application in yet. i'm not even sure if i should at this point since there are around 200 unmatched applicants who will be competing against me for the 6 spots. i feel sorry for the PD at stonybrook who probably got 200 CV's via email in a matter of hours!

Unfortunately the program has only 2 and not 6 spots and they already have 250 applications. Also they say that they will be interviewing at the end of feb, so how the hell do we apply for internship coz..what if we do not match at this extremly tough program?

it's sad to know that the stony brook program is only takin 2 people. the question is who will the seniors be?

Last edited:
Unfortunately the program has only 2 and not 6 spots and they already have 250 applications. Also they say that they will be interviewing at the end of feb, so how the hell do we apply for internship coz..what if we do not match at this extremly tough program?

that's weird that you mentioned that the program only has 2 spots.... where did you get this info from?? because when i talked to the program, they mentioned that there were 6... hmmmm... they may be using fishy tactics that these ophtho programs are notorious for since they may want to fill their slots with the best applicants and may actually have only 2 slots, and are saying 6 to get more to apply....

and also weird that there are 250 applications, since there was a less number of people who did not match... where did the extra people come from????

They probably have 6 residency spots total - 2 per year so they only have 2 spots to fill. I couldn't imagine any new program starting with 6 residents per year. Let's try not to assume people are being fishy.

The SB program (SB, VA) is a split off of the NUMC program (NUMC, VA, SB) so the NUMC residents will probably be the seniors. I wonder what's happening to the NUMC portion of that program...

Are you sure it's not 2/year, totaling 6 approved spots for all 3 years?

Is it required that you have already registered for this year's SFmatch (and not matched) in order to apply? If not, maybe the extra applicants are local grads/residents from other speciatlies looking to take advantage of the openings. I know plenty of IM residents who would switch into ophtho if they had the chance.

I'm very curious to know if this new residency will sever the relationship NUMC enjoyed with the Stony Brook clinic and VA?

Members don't see this ad :)
you read my mind Kassie:)

(your post didn't appear until I started writing mine).

I think it's nice that they are now three programs in long island.
should make things slightly less competitive.

Heh; the unfilled match spot was UCLA/JSEI EYEStar, the combined PhD program. So much for that.

I phoned them; it's been filled.

Heh; the unfilled match spot was UCLA/JSEI EYEStar, the combined PhD program. So much for that.

hey guys... where did you hear of this spot?? it is nowhere on the sfmach site...

Gaskell, pm me again if you want to know more about the fellowship

any new info on the suny program?? i know that they are getting flooded with emails, but has anyone spoken to them about positions/interviews??

does anyone have any info on any other post match or PGY II vacancies??

thanks...

Condolences for those who didn't match, but it may be worthwhile to also look for programs who are going outside of the match for applicants. I know that the University of Arizona was planning to expand their program this year, but due to administrative reasons will fill the 2 extra spots outside of the match. (something about not getting the accreditation on time, I think). Perhaps you could try giving them a call? Tucson's a decent place to live!

thanks so much for the info... i am trying at suny right now and will definitely give u of arizona a try too.... any others that you know about which will be taking post match applications... thanks...

Good luck calling them this Monday! That's the only program I've heard of that was planning to expand, and hopefully they haven't filled those spots yet. Perhaps anyone else has heard similar things from other programs?

Goodluck to all who went unmatched.
During the whole process, how many Ophtho interviews did you end up going on?
This would really help those of us who are about to enter the hellish ordeal for next year.

cheers!