for any active duty military

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

EasyEveryoneWouldDoIt

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
suit or service dress for interviews?

Members don't see this ad.

For interviewing outside of the military? Don't be a tool and wear your class A's...

Members don't see this ad :)
I saw in a past thread that someone wore their dress blues to interview and had success. Personally, I would feel too out of place in full dress, but whatever makes you feel your best. I think the regs are pretty clear that it is allowable.

Suit, all they way. The only exception is USUHS, who specifically instructs active duty to wear their dress uniform.

I’m active and wore my dress blues to a civilian interview. It was great. Really glad I did. No one gave me the impression that it was cheesy. To the contrary, I got multiple compliments from the staff, and my interviewers literally told me they aren’t worried about my ability to handle stress, serve the public, or work as part of a team. If anything, it presented an image of being punctual, selfless, etc.

And this was in a super blue state. 10/10 would wear it.

Edit: it even let me make a joke to break the ice during the introductions. We were asked to tell everyone what movie character we’d be, and I said obviously I’ve been trying to be Captain America for years.

Reactions: 2 users
I’m active and wore my dress blues to a civilian interview. It was great. Really glad I did. No one gave me the impression that it was cheesy. To the contrary, I got multiple compliments from the staff, and my interviewers literally told me they aren’t worried about my ability to handle stress, serve the public, or work as part of a team. If anything, it presented an image of being punctual, selfless, etc.

And this was in a super blue state. 10/10 would wear it.

Edit: it even let me make a joke to break the ice during the introductions. We were asked to tell everyone what movie character we’d be, and I said obviously I’ve been trying to be Captain America for years.

Ribbons or full medals?

Reactions: 1 user
Just ribbons. Medals crosses the line into over the top and showing off (IMO).
Hah yeah full medals is totally r-**** land. I never wore my class As outside of military functions and boards myself. Never upgraded to dress blues either. Still have my greens.

Hah yeah full medals is totally r-**** land. I never wore my class As outside of military functions and boards myself. Never upgraded to dress blues either. Still have my greens.

That’s nice. Our dress blues are your class As I think. Other than my wedding, that interview is the only time I’ve worn them to a civilian function.

Members don't see this ad :)
That’s nice. Our dress blues are your class As I think. Other than my wedding, that interview is the only time I’ve worn them to a civilian function.
Yeah, the army went over to blues about the time I got out in 12. They starting phasing in blues in like 10 or 11 but I wasn’t wasting my money on em, and I like the classic greens better anyway.

Yeah, the army went over to blues about the time I got out in 12. They starting phasing in blues in like 10 or 11 but I wasn’t wasting my money on em, and I like the classic greens better anyway.
Ah makes sense. I joined in 2012. But we’ve had essentially the same dress uniforms for like 200 years.

Yeah I don't know why the Army decided to switch, they went for a union army looking uniform that looks like a copy of every other branch imo. I always liked the marines and army for having different looking uniforms.

Yeah I don't know why the Army decided to switch, they went for a union army looking uniform that looks like a copy of every other branch imo. I always liked the marines and army for having different looking uniforms.

I mean it doesn’t get any different than the Cracker Jack lol. We like to go our own way lol.

Only thing I'd hate about the navy is yall have SO many uniforms. Army had: PTs, ACUs, Class A's/Class B's.

I wore dress blues to good effect. I was active military. It was mostly because I was too cheap to buy a suit, but I don't think it hurts any interview.

Yep, they sure aint cheap.

I think we got roughly 330$ yearly for clothing and they thought we would be excited to go buy blues.

Hell that barely covered the crappy ACUs, ripped due to shtty fabric and the "hook and loop fasteners" sucked and got where they didn't stick. Not to mention oil from crawling under M1114s all day