Army For Army Reserve Physicians - How often do you drill?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Gringoperdido

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
How often do reserve physicians drill? My recruiter told me about the "flexible training policy" which allows docs to drill with their unit only 6 times a year, but that is at the discretion of their commander. I've also heard from other reserve officers (not medical) that they end up doing lots of extra work outside their normal drill period that they don't even get paid for. So I imagine there will be a wide range of actual work hours. Really appreciate any reservists sharing their experience.

Members don't see this ad.

In my state flex is only while in residency/school, the attendings have a full drill schedule

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks very much for your reply - I thought the flex program was too good to be true

Members don't see this ad :)
It really depends on your unit. If you are assigned to medical unit they are usually a little more forgiving. If you are assigned to the APMC (Army Personal Management Command) you actually work remotely from Atlanta, GA and you get credit for drills based on your CMEs, conferences and every thing else you would do normally.

So if you are APMC you don't belong to a TPU? Is it the same as being an IMA?

Reactions: 1 user
APMC and IMA are somewhat the same. The only difference is IMA is a lot smaller and more exclusive and you have to apply for it, they actually are more like a first response team when needed. APMC is for medical professionals that don't have a TPU near them or that has a position available for their specialty but is still a need for the Army. For instance I have a Ophthalmologist that joined this year from upstate, NY. He is assigned to a unit in St. Charles, MO for if that unit goes anywhere but he is attached to the APMC which handles all his training, records and so on. If you tell me your specialty and the area you live in I can look to see if you would be in a TPU or APMC.

Thanks very much for explaining all that. I'm prior service as a GMO - now in a preventive medicine residency in Colorado. Am considering going in to the STRAP program - my concern is I'm planning to live overseas for a few years after residency (working on a dissertation for a trop med phd) and I was concerned that it would be difficult to fly back to the US every month for drill.
As part of the APMC are you able to drill more than one month at a time? Maybe do a week or two of drills together 3-4 times a year?
The IMA first response team sounds great to me - do they use PM docs?

I am pretty sure APMC will give you credit for your drills if you are doing a trop med PHD...considering that would be very beneficial to the Army. Most likely you will have to do the two week training in the summer at Fort Knox or Fort Benning or wherever they decide to do it for that year. APMC is very friendly as long as you go to BOLC in three years and you stay in touch with them. If you are doing STRAP you actually have to be in the APMC because they don't expect you to drill while in residency. If you decide to go through with this I would love to be your recruiter. a 60C preventative medicine doctor is the only specialty I have yet to put in this year that I am on mission for. So whatever you need let me know!

It really depends on your unit. If you are assigned to medical unit they are usually a little more forgiving. If you are assigned to the APMC (Army Personal Management Command) you actually work remotely from Atlanta, GA and you get credit for drills based on your CMEs, conferences and every thing else you would do normally.

My understanding is you don't get credit for this sort of thing any longer (CME, etc.). I was told needed to do 'admin' drills of some type....am I wrong on this?

My understanding is you don't get credit for this sort of thing any longer (CME, etc.). I was told needed to do 'admin' drills of some type....am I wrong on this?

I copied this right out the APMC handbook which I can send you a copy if you would like.

Attachment Allows Flexible BTA
Alternatives
Traditional Reserve Unit Battle Training Assemblies

SFRR

Military/Federal/Civilian Hospitals (Approved

Clinical Training Agreement)

Medical Readiness Training Command (MRTC)

Support

USAREC Support (medical recruiter support

Continuing Health/Medical Education

Last edited:
I copied this right out the APMC handbook which I can send you a copy if you would like.

Attachment Allows Flexible BTA
Alternatives

Traditional Reserve Unit Battle Training Assemblies

SFRR

Military/Federal/Civilian Hospitals (Approved

Clinical Training Agreement)

Medical Readiness Training Command (MRTC)

Support

USAREC Support (medical recruiter support

Continuing Health/Medical Education.

So as IRR, can I join an APMC unit and still get drill credits remotely? I also thought this was no longer the case.