For Canadian Students..

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

WHR

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
As of today, all my secondaries for US schools and Canadian medical school applications are submitted! Good luck to all of you fellow Canadians - hopefully we can all get into a school of our choice.

For those who are applying to both US and CAN schools, have you considered what you will do if you get into at least one school from each country? Financially it would be best to stay in Canada but what if you get into a top MD school (ie Yale, JH) - would you give that up and go to go to UBC, Delhousie, or even UofToronto? I have been asked these questions on a number of occasions but yet to have figured out my answer.

Members don't see this ad.

Hey WHR, are you under another name on p101? If not, I'll PM you with my answer/reasons.

I'm a Canadian student, too. I'll be applying after two years from now on.
If I get into a top MD school in the US, then I'll definitely go there; if not, then I think it's best to stay in Canada.
Good luck.

Hi WHR,

I've only applied to Canadian schools so perhaps my perspective is not what you're looking for. That said, if I were in your situation, I'd focus largely on the school's curriculum and environment. You'll be spending four very intense years at whatever place you choose, and it'll be a lot easier if you really, truly enjoy the school where you're studying. It's hard to ignore the obvious financial benefits of applying in Canada (it's hard to imagine that as an in-province student, McGill for me would be one-tenth the cost of many of the American schools), but if that's not as much of an issue I'd go with the school that has the best feel. When you go for interviews, figure out what there is to do on and around campus, what their facilities are like, what type of hospitals you'll be sent to, and more importantly, what the other students there are like -- and how you'll mesh with them (I have little doubt that McMaster and U of T's class 'personalities' are quite different from one another, and each suited to a different type of person). Go with the one where you'll feel you'll enjoy your time the most. Hope this helps!