For people taking VCU-certif post-bac program, I need your help!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

vDDmaniaC

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, guys.
I posted two months ago that I blew up the opportunity to start program in fall 2008. And only after I found this online forum and read your posted I thought I blow up the chance. And I contacted the graduate department and said that I want to go back... and finally they put me in the position where I can start program in spring 2009. Since I missed to take BIOC 503 and PHIS 501 I have to take BIOC 504, PHIS 601 and electives 3credit course(which I have no clue what to take plz let me know if you have something to recommend). How are the classes going in the fall? The courses are pretty doable? I heard that only 15% of students get into med school I intend to go dental school though. Are the same professor will teach in the spring 2009 for both BIOC and PHIS?
I need to find roomates who can share the housing fee with me once the financial aids is granted. Plz let me know if you have resource where I can look for roomates. Well, this is really messy.

Concisely:
1. Based on your judgement so far, is the class pretty doable?
2. What kinds of text book are you using for BIOC and PHIS? Please leave author's name and publisher.
3. Will be the same text books used for the courses in spring 2009?
3. Please comments about the professor, good or bad.
4. Will I be placed at a disadvantages since I missed fall 2008?
5. Anywhere you know to look for roomates?
6. Any regret you don't want to do from the beginning?

Thanks a lot!

Members don't see this ad.

Personally, I wouldn't want to jump in mid year. This semester has taught me how to study correctly and consistently. In addition, fall semester weeds out people and the more serous studiers are left.

To be honest, I'm a little jealous of you right now and kind of not. The Fall Semester is by the hardest. Even getting A's don't bring you joy anymore. You just feel...numb. So, I'm jealous that you get to come in during the easier semester, but I am grateful that in less than a month I can put this semester behind me.

I have to ask, what program did you get into? I currently in the Anatomy and Neurobiology premed certificate and they seem the throw alot at us at once, more so than the other programs. (Not that other guys aren't cool and work just as hard;)) If you're in a program other than physiology, then taking PHIS 601 would really be a waste of your time. Our advisor told us that the class is more geared toward physiology research and getting students into physiology research than it is about beefing up your transcript for medical school.

As far as BIOC 504 is concerned, I wouldn't worry about it too much. I have seen people who GRADUATED with a bachelor's in biochemistry struggle for a B. I never had biochem and I'm slated to get a B right now. But, for BIOC 504 last spring the grades went down to an 81 for an A. I wouldn't depend on that, but you have a little leeway as far as grades go in that class. For the fall semester an "A" is an 87 and above and a B is 75 - 86

If you're willing to put the work in and study consistently and correctly, then you'll get the results you want.

Members don't see this ad :)
What is the point to starting the second semester? Is it going to change when you apply to dental school... prolly not.

It may, however put you at a disadvantage since you have not had the same exposure to the cell phys or the biochem that the kids in the program have.

If I were you I would suck up the 6 months and start next fall. If you do poorly in the program or even mediocre for that matter, you will hurt your chances of getting into dental school more than if you had never done the program.

I'm curious about the 15% med school acceptance rate stat. Is this because most people don't get in despite doing well in the program, or is it because many of the students in the program are doing other things like pharmacy, dental, etc.?

the low success rate is because VCU has lower standards (requirements) than other smps. VCU provides almost everyone the opportunity, the rest is up to them to put in the work (a lot of work).