for recent NBDE part I takers

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lrania1

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Did the questions had a lot of repeats from the old exams?

I know this has been discussed a lot but I have been looking at those old 1979 etc exams and a lot of the questions seem outdated..
I was wondering if I should give more attention to the newer exams only

Members don't see this ad.

I originally had access to only the older versions of the released exams (ie 1980s, and 90's). The format of the questions seemed to have changed from a more regurgitation of random facts to more application or conceptual type questions. It totally threw me off and the exam I took was not what I was expecting it to be.

humm.. I think the old tests are only good for guiding you on what materials to study. So, don't look at them hoping to see some of the same questions on the actual exam. I looked at many of the old exams like the ones in the 70 and 80s, but from what I remember, I only saw like maybe 5 to 10 repeats. If you're looking at a score above 90 and depending solely on decks for preparation, it will be tough because many of the questions are, like you just said, are application or conceptual questions. I got a score in the low 80s, which I am not satisfied. But seeing how hard the questions are and that some of the topics are completely foreign or not even closely related to what studied from the decks or first aid, I am not sure if I should even try for a retake. I am afraid I might drop from pass to fail.

Don't want to scare you, but do try to study intelligently such as getting basic concepts right on top of your head by reviewing your syllabus or using wiki, rather than rote memorization. You will certainly pass, but getting a 90 will be reserved for those few chosen ones.

Do you think it would be wise to know which viruses have an icosahedral vs helical capsid for the exam?

Members don't see this ad :)
hi everyone! when did you take the exam? how were the questions? can anyone post a few qustions you remember here? or even the topics the questions lay most emphysis on! please, it wud b a great help!

hi everyone! when did you take the exam? how were the questions? can anyone post a few qustions you remember here? or even the topics the questions lay most emphysis on! please, it wud b a great help!

I have dental decks,kaplan review and previous Q papers is that sufficient?
Do I need first aid NDBE part 1 as well.Please advice me:confused:

I have dental decks,kaplan review and previous Q papers is that sufficient?
Do I need first aid NDBE part 1 as well.Please advice me:confused:

yes,first aid nbde is a very good supplement for anat and dental anat.read usmle kaplan lecture notes for physio and lippincotts for biochem.usmle first aid is very good for micro and pathology.http://www.neuroanatomy.wisc.edu/vir...tem/03CNV.html- for neuroanatomy

Last edited: