For regular students scoring average on Step 1

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chocomorsel

Removed
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
If you scored pretty avg (200-225) roughly, what are you guys interested in?
1. EM
2. Anesthesiology
3. Family practice.
I don't think that any of the above are unattainable.

Members don't see this ad.

my class rank combined with my USMLE will probably put me in the "average" category and I really have no idea what that means, where I should and should not consider for residency, etc. etc.

They just don't provide enough resources for the "average" medical student...

I got a 229... but, I'd say that puts me in the average range. Same deal for my class rank (a little above average.) If I was forced to pick today I'd go Anesthesia, EM, Path.

Even if I had the stats to be competitive for the tougher residencies, I don't think I'd want them. Urology would probably be #1 for me if it didn't come with a rough 5 yr surgical residency and if I had a better shot (I don't want to apply to 100 programs and end up in Alaska). Most of the others just don't sound that great to me.

So, average or not, I don't think it changes much for me.

Members don't see this ad :)
RugbyJC said:
my class rank combined with my USMLE will probably put me in the "average" category and I really have no idea what that means, where I should and should not consider for residency, etc. etc.

They just don't provide enough resources for the "average" medical student...

Our school sent out a summary of all matches from our school for the last 5 yrs broken down by residency. Very helpful. Assuming class rank etc averages out to about the board score average for individual residencies (which I think is a reasonable assumption), then 220-225 (and say 60%ile class rank) would be ABOVE average for things like EM and Anesthesia. They fell in the 215-217 range. Actually, it would be above average for everything save the ones folks always mention as the highly competitive ones (uro, ortho, derm, radio, ENT, optho,...) which all fell in the 230-235 range.

Anyway, see if your school has this kind of data... but, I'd say average should equal competitive for most residencies.

call me optimistic, but i got below average (above 200 though, which is decent for a DO) and i'm thinking of stuff like ER, gen surg, neuro, or an IM sub-specialty. i like to think that my score alone won't preclude me from every residency.

that dr. jack said:
call me optimistic, but i got below average (above 200 though, which is decent for a DO) and i'm thinking of stuff like ER, gen surg, neuro, or an IM sub-specialty. i like to think that my score alone won't preclude me from every residency.
Way to go Jack! I passed... barely! if i passed usmle I know i rocked comlex, and that's all i really care about at this point.

TheFish005 said:
Way to go Jack! I passed... barely! if i passed usmle I know i rocked comlex, and that's all i really care about at this point.
Not trying to start a fued, but are the tests really that different? Is the DO education much different outside of the OMM?

Personally, they must be teaching you guys something right b/c in the ER, Family and IM here at Tech, my favorite/most impressive doc's are DO's. My wife goes to a DO.

COMLEX seemed considerably easier to me; maybe I was just better prepared for the OMM components. I did think though, that COMLEX had more clinical relevence. ALso, my COMLEX had very little biochemistry, and almost no molecular bio, which I got alot of on USMLE. I might have just been weaker in those areas than I should have been and got lucky on COMLEX that it wasn't tested heavily. For whatever reason, I had a much better feeling walking out of COMLEX than USMLE, and now I know I actually passed USMLE, so I'm confident I did better on COMLEX.

TheFish005 said:
COMLEX seemed considerably easier to me; maybe I was just better prepared for the OMM components. I did think though, that COMLEX had more clinical relevence. ALso, my COMLEX had very little biochemistry, and almost no molecular bio, which I got alot of on USMLE. I might have just been weaker in those areas than I should have been and got lucky on COMLEX that it wasn't tested heavily. For whatever reason, I had a much better feeling walking out of COMLEX than USMLE, and now I know I actually passed USMLE, so I'm confident I did better on COMLEX.
Sounds reasonable to me. Good luck with it all :)

thackl said:
Not trying to start a fued, but are the tests really that different? Is the DO education much different outside of the OMM?

Personally, they must be teaching you guys something right b/c in the ER, Family and IM here at Tech, my favorite/most impressive doc's are DO's. My wife goes to a DO.

from my experience, COMLEX is way more straightforward clinically. they both give the same types of question stem, but ask different things. there's no molec cell bio on COMLEX, and very little biochem and genetics. some of the questions on COMLEX made me laugh because they were so easy (for example, the parents of a child with turner syndrome would have what chromosomal arrangements?), whereas on USMLE there were only a few that i answered in like 5 seconds or less. USMLE is also much more tricky and that kind of irked me because it felt like medical trivial pursuit at times.

overall, each exam reflects what each type of student is taught in their respective type of medical school.

it's also great to hear you are so impressed with the DOs you work with. for all the worrying that we all do while pre-med and in the first two years about MD vs. DO, once we get out into the hospitals and clinics, we realize no one really gives a $hit what letters are behind our names as long as we provide superior patient care. we have an MD student on our team right now and i feel we're all equal in terms of knowledge and clinical skill.

TheFish005 said:
Way to go Jack! I passed... barely! if i passed usmle I know i rocked comlex, and that's all i really care about at this point.[/QUOTE

congrats!! dude you know you totally killed the COMLEX. i'm dying to know my COMLEX score now, because i really really want to get around 600 (or it's equivalent if they are changing the scale).

that dr. jack said:
it's also great to hear you are so impressed with the DOs you work with. for all the worrying that we all do while pre-med and in the first two years about MD vs. DO, once we get out into the hospitals and clinics, we realize no one really gives a $hit what letters are behind our names as long as we provide superior patient care. we have an MD student on our team right now and i feel we're all equal in terms of knowledge and clinical skill.

I'm in the midst of my first clerkship right now and we have two NYCOM MS4 on our team who are just fantastic. They're both super smart and what's better is how nice and helpful they are to us; needless to say we are not only impressed but are also big fans of them.

Average scorer here. Not sure what I want to do yet. Some things on my radar are Anesthesia, EM, maybe FP or Ob, Path. So we'll see what happens. Glad to read that it should be doable for most of these with my score.

Members don't see this ad :)
This isn't really the thread for this, but I don't want to post in the results thread because those people scare me. :)

I have talked to three of my classmates (including my next door neighbor), and they all got their scores in the mail on Saturday. MCW doesn't release the scores to us (lucky us), so we're all mailbox checkers. However, I didn't get my scores!! Ahhh.... I'm crossing my fingers that they come tomorrow, since I'm not sure I can take it much longer. Here's hoping that I get out of radiology early tomorrow...

So anyway, my point is, did anyone else not get their scores yet? (I took it June 8, by the way).

You just made my day. Thank you!! When did you take it?

And good luck.

june 12, score released, school told me they got the score but won't release it to me unless i show up in the office in person =p

just waiting for the snailmail now

I'm anticipating posting in this thread tomorrow, then, with my hopefully average score. I'm really shooting for breaking 200, but I'd love to just pass. In answer to the original question, I'm really set on OB... at this point, I'm thanking my lucky stars for insurance premiums!!

I got a 204 on the USMLE, and I'm going into EM.

(I'm a DO student and have not recieved my COMLEX scores yet.)

that dr. jack said:
from my experience, COMLEX is way more straightforward clinically. they both give the same types of question stem, but ask different things. there's no molec cell bio on COMLEX, and very little biochem and genetics. some of the questions on COMLEX made me laugh because they were so easy (for example, the parents of a child with turner syndrome would have what chromosomal arrangements?), whereas on USMLE there were only a few that i answered in like 5 seconds or less. USMLE is also much more tricky and that kind of irked me because it felt like medical trivial pursuit at times.

overall, each exam reflects what each type of student is taught in their respective type of medical school.

I highly agree with this statement, as my opinion of the USMLE and COMLEX is directly opposite from yours. This may be due to the fact that our professors teach Kaplan USMLE courses and write USMLE review books. I found the USMLE to be more straightforward and answered the questions more quickly than on the COMLEX. This could also be attributed to the fact that I took the USMLE after the COMLEX, and had less anxiety.

I suppose I won't really know until I recieve my COMLEX score.

OSUdoc08 said:
I got a 204 on the USMLE, and I'm going into EM.

(I'm a DO student and have not recieved my COMLEX scores yet.)

Considering how much you always boast about your Goljan resource and how much you seem to study, this is suprising. Either way, goodluck with EM.

I fell within the range posted above by the OP.

Things I am considering: EM, Ob/gyn, IM, FM, Infectious Disease.... really not sure right now because I like a lot of different things.

Things that are on the "other list": Surgery, Derm, Path, Rads

gerido said:
Considering how much you always boast about your Goljan resource and how much you seem to study, this is suprising. Either way, goodluck with EM.

Was that really necessary? What do you get out of kicking this guy about his score. I have 3 words for you.....GET A LIFE!

gerido said:

This is in very poor taste; and goljan is a savior no matter what any one person says or thinks.

205 here. Very dissapointed, but hey what can I do now. I was thinking Path, maybe not now??

pathER said:
205 here. Very dissapointed, but hey what can I do now. I was thinking Path, maybe not now??

don't give up hope man. there is no freaking way that one little score will determine your future. if that was true, i wouldn't be in med school in the first place.

true, derm and urology might be a bit out of our league as of now, but who really wants to spend the rest of their lives with penises, anal warts and trophy wives with BDD?

OSUdoc08 said:
I highly agree with this statement, as my opinion of the USMLE and COMLEX is directly opposite from yours. This may be due to the fact that our professors teach Kaplan USMLE courses and write USMLE review books. I found the USMLE to be more straightforward and answered the questions more quickly than on the COMLEX. This could also be attributed to the fact that I took the USMLE after the COMLEX, and had less anxiety.

I suppose I won't really know until I recieve my COMLEX score.

interesting! i took COMLEX first and just felt burnt out by the time i got to USMLE. i did find the biochem easy because our biochem prof goes the kaplan course as well, but crap dude it would be great to have poppy as well. my fault for not wanting to live where there are tornados i guess. congrats on your score though and best of luck on COMLEX.

pathER said:

Apply to Path & ER. (That is if you put ER in your screen name because that's your other choice.)

I am, in fact, within the range for this thread and rather excited about it. Of course, I want to be an OB/GYN and live in the Midwest, so I guess I have fortunate preferences.

I got my score over the weekend and I just wanted to check on here to see what people were saying about their scores. Man was I suprised to see this thread right on the top since it always seems that 95% of the people who I've seen provide scores in the past say they got 240-260. Anyway my score was a 215. I'm not totally happy with it (despite the fact that I told myself I'd be happy with anything above a 200), but I got what I expected for what I put into studying. I've always know I didn't want to do anything extremely competitive, so I wasn't out to kill myself for an excellent score. I'm thinking I'll want to go into Peds but who knows if I'll change my mind sometime in the next year or so.

I'm surprised to hear people think the COMPLEX is so much easier than the USMLE, it being so long and everything just makes the experience sound so much worse. I definately agree that step 1 tests way too much minutiae that will never be needed to appropriately practice medicine, that is sort of the reason I refused to spend more time than I did studying.

starwisher said:
I'm surprised to hear people think the COMPLEX is so much easier than the USMLE, it being so long and everything just makes the experience sound so much worse.

The COMLEX and USMLE are actually the same length.

(nicedream) said:

Really? my friends that are in DO schools took it in 2005 and I swear they said it was given over two days and was like 700 questions long. They didn't take the USMLE so I never heard a comparison from them.

starwisher said:
Really? my friends that are in DO schools took it in 2005 and I swear they said it was given over two days and was like 700 questions long. They didn't take the USMLE so I never heard a comparison from them.

This year it began being computerized and 400 questions.

(nicedream) said:

Ha, no they are not.

Have you even taken them?

I'm not sure why you constantly post false information.

(nicedream) said:
This year it began being computerized and 400 questions.

The 2006 Computer-Based COMLEX Step I is 400 questions.

The 2006 Computer-Based USMLE Step I is 350 questions.

Xandie said:
I am, in fact, within the range for this thread and rather excited about it. Of course, I want to be an OB/GYN and live in the Midwest, so I guess I have fortunate preferences.

yes you are the perfect candidate

OSUdoc08 said:

Even though the COMLEX was only 1 50-questions block longer than the USMLE, that extra block at the end took a lot of stamina. I was just ready for the thing to be over and really didn't care much about the questions towards the end. But, compared to what students had to endure in the past (a 2-day ordeal with paper and pencil??!!), I guess we are lucky.

OSUdoc08 said:
Ha, no they are not.

Have you even taken them?

I'm not sure why you constantly post false information.

Are you serious? OSU if you're not a troll, then you've proven yourself to be, time and tmie again, the biggest spaz I've ever seen. Sheesh...

turkdlit said:
Are you serious? OSU if you're not a troll, then you've proven yourself to be, time and tmie again, the biggest spaz I've ever seen. Sheesh...

Thanks for the helpful post.

troll_by_elarbee134875.jpg

OSUdoc08 said:

:laugh: Oh, sorry, USMLE is an hour shorter. I was referring to the fact that they're both one day now *******.

I got a 218. I have always planned on doing Internal Medicine, at an average hospital where they don't work you like a dog, so this changes nothing.

Still awaiting a score but seriously from previous posts, is 205 a bad score? I thought that anything above a 200 is good especially for a residency like Internal Med. I was just hoping for above a 200 because I want to do internal med in California at just an average program.

What do you guys think? What is the average Step 1 score for Internal Medicine? Anyone know?

Luwi25 said:
Still awaiting a score but seriously from previous posts, is 205 a bad score? I thought that anything above a 200 is good especially for a residency like Internal Med. I was just hoping for above a 200 because I want to do internal med in California at just an average program.

What do you guys think? What is the average Step 1 score for Internal Medicine? Anyone know?

For IM it's fine.

step 1 - slid in below the national average and above 200....... I am a little discouraged because I want ortho..... =0

But my grades have never held me back in the past. With extra work and God anything is possible.

kielbasakidd said:
Will that keep someone out of an IM residency - maybe pulmonary or cardiology? Not looking for big name hospital.

Pulmonology and cardiology are fellowships, not residencies. You do a fellowship in these fields after completing a residency in IM. Your board score has much less to do with getting these fellowships than letters of recommendation from people you work with during your residency. A low board score could hinder acceptance into a fellowship by limiting where you might do your residency, ie, it is easier to get into cardiology from Harvard (MGH) than from Podunk Community College. This is not to say that it is impossible.

219 here. Not thrilled, but also not too disappointed - I was aiming for 220 or better, so my score was at least really close to my goal.

I started third year thinking I wanted to do psych or neuro. Those are still on my radar, but apparently, I am much more of a "surgery person" than I had expected, so now I'm also thinking of gen surg or ob/gyn. I am also interested in ENT - I think it would be a stretch since my step I score is so average, and I also have some geographic limitations, but I'm not totally ruling it out yet. We'll see how this year goes.