For research experience do you need a poster/report?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

On_The_Way_Up

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am not sure I will be presenting anything or writing a report. I am going to help conduct the experiments. Will it still count as research experience?

Members don't see this ad.

Absolutely! A presentation or publication would be the cherry on top, but it definitely still counts as research experience regardless.

Reactions: 1 user
I am not sure I will be presenting anything or writing a report. I am going to help conduct the experiments. Will it still count as research experience?

Absolutely it counts as research! I think its more to do with what you got out of doing the research( Learning, understanding the process of medical discovery, dealing with other healthcare/science professionals, etc.) than anything else. Also, I have a publication that I thought would be the centerpiece of my application and was never once asked about my research in any interview.

Members don't see this ad :)
Helping to conduct experiments are satisfactory for UG research experiences. Make sure you know your experiments and objectives and you can shine at interviews.

Presentation/Pub needs some luck and good timing. Some people worked in a lab for all UG and still didn't get a poster.

As an example, two of my experiences are a poster at a national conference in a clinical research project and my capstone project that was essentially a master's thesis project that did not yield a poster or a publication other than the thesis I turned in (so nothing really). Everyone has been waaaaay more interested in the latter experience because it's more interesting. Posters are a nice little bonus but are absolutely not necessary if you have a research experience you can talk about.

As an example, two of my experiences are a poster at a national conference in a clinical research project and my capstone project that was essentially a master's thesis project that did not yield a poster or a publication other than the thesis I turned in (so nothing really). Everyone has been waaaaay more interested in the latter experience because it's more interesting. Posters are a nice little bonus but are absolutely not necessary if you have a research experience you can talk about.

Was that thesis a medical or science based thesis? I wrote an extensive thesis for engineering (like over 200 pages) and while I found it absolutely fascinating, I'm nervous about focusing on it when I discuss my research experience with interviewers since it's more applied science, sociology, and economics rather than bench or translational research. I have some bench research and am currently doing computational biology research to discuss as well, which I figured interviewers are much more interested in.

Was that thesis a medical or science based thesis? I wrote an extensive thesis for engineering (like over 200 pages) and while I found it absolutely fascinating, I'm nervous about focusing on it when I discuss my research experience with interviewers since it's more applied science, sociology, and economics rather than bench or translational research. I have some bench research and am currently doing computational biology research to discuss as well, which I figured interviewers are much more interested in.

It was mathematical oncology. They've been fascinated with how you can apply math and game theory to cancer. If your eyes light up when you talk about it, that's what matters.

Reactions: 1 user
It was mathematical oncology. They've been fascinated with how you can apply math and game theory to cancer. If your eyes light up when you talk about it, that's what matters.

Actually, that sounds fascinating!

Good news is that we will be making a poster to present our research at a conference at the end of the semester. Can't wait. I'm excited.