For secondary essay, should I aim for word/character limit?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

fastfingers

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I feel like some prompts are given fairly long character limit or word limit (such as 1500 character about how I am diverse). I feel like I can answer the questions quite simply and straightforwardly and only spend like 900 character.

I guess my question is, is it important that I aim to have my essays close to the character limit? Or should I keep it concise and to the point.

Members don't see this ad.

I feel like some prompts are given fairly long character limit or word limit (such as 1500 character about how I am diverse). I feel like I can answer the questions quite simply and straightforwardly and only spend like 900 character.

I guess my question is, is it important that I aim to have my essays close to the character limit? Or should I keep it concise and to the point.

Would you rather waste your time reading meaningless crap or a response that speaks directly to the prompt?

Aim to answer the question that was asked. It's usually pretty obvious when someone is adding filler to an essay.