For soon to be audiology (AuD) students..

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dustbug10

Year IV
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am in the second semester of my first year as an AuD student. I have started blogging for a website called Audiology ADVANCE. This is not meant as an advertisement for the site in any way. I am doing this because there are many things I wish I had been more prepared for going in, and I did not really have a source of guidance. I'm going to be sharing my experiences/thoughts and will be forthright about them(just short of bashing professors :lol:). While no AuD program is the same, it is nice to have an idea of what day-to-day life is like. I plan to discuss how other facets of my life are affected as well. If you would like to follow along, the link is below.

http://community.advanceweb.com/blogs/aa_4/default.aspx

(No making fun of the pic)

Members don't see this ad.

I am in the second semester of my first year as an AuD student. I have started blogging for a website called Audiology ADVANCE. This is not meant as an advertisement for the site in any way. I am doing this because there are many things I wish I had been more prepared for going in, and I did not really have a source of guidance. I'm going to be sharing my experiences/thoughts and will be forthright about them(just short of bashing professors :lol:). While no AuD program is the same, it is nice to have an idea of what day-to-day life is like. I plan to discuss how other facets of my life are affected as well. If you would like to follow along, the link is below.

http://community.advanceweb.com/blogs/aa_4/default.aspx

(No making fun of the pic)

I have thought of doing the same thing in a personalized way.. (own website) :D I think its great! Thanks

Thanks for sharing this with us dustbug, nicely written. :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you for the kind words! Feel free to bookmark the link.. I will be posting new blogs every week or two.. Questions are good for blog topics, so post them if you have them..

That was another good article. Thanks for the advice

Thanks Dustbug10!
I really enjoyed this blog entry. I can definitely relate to the 'guilt' feeling attached to non-academic work.

I am already looking forward to the next one!

Thanks for the post, dustbug.

You mentioned that you were wondering how you could get enough money together for a ring, and I was thinking you might want to check out www.exboyfriendjewelry.com. You can get really nice rings on there for super cheap. But if you're superstitious, you might need to have the ring "cleansed" or something, lol.

Thanks for the post, dustbug.

You mentioned that you were wondering how you could get enough money together for a ring, and I was thinking you might want to check out www.exboyfriendjewelry.com. You can get really nice rings on there for super cheap. But if you're superstitious, you might need to have the ring "cleansed" or something, lol.

This was a brilliant idea. Unfortunately she does not seem to have the same appreciation for it. :(

Members don't see this ad :)
Good post today! Let me know how the p90x works out for you, I was looking into it myself.

I hope your mom is okay with the puppy!

Good post today! Let me know how the p90x works out for you, I was looking into it myself.

i'm doing P90X AbRipper this summer and it's pretty good so far - 16 minutes of hell but it's short and you start to see great results pretty soon. i've heard good things about the rest of the workouts!

Comeoncomeoncomeonnnnnn, Dusty! Your two weeks are up! Time for another blog. ;)

And the neat pic they made:

15n4wmf.jpg

Thanks for the answers and for your time, of course. Your accent is not difficult to understand at all. Very professional, too. You're actually a lot more clearer than how my family speaks. They're from Georgia and their accent is really southern!

That voice does not match your face! Haha.
I was like, "Wait what?!"
It was good to hear more about your girlfriend! That's gotta be taxing for both of you to be in graduate programs. How do you find time for each other?
It's tough, but we've mastered the art of planning a week in advance. When distance is necessary, we're more apt to handle it well simply because we both understand the rigors of grad school.

SoCal, I know what you mean. Those George accents are killer.

Here is my latest entry. It is Part I of a Q&A series with rEliseMe. A big thanks goes out to her for participating, and I hope I did well in answering the questions.

http://community.advanceweb.com/blogs/aa_4/archive/2010/06/11/question-and-answer.aspx

rEliseMe and Dusty, you both rock! Thanks for sharing the Q & A.

It's tough, but we've mastered the art of planning a week in advance. When distance is necessary, we're more apt to handle it well simply because we both understand the rigors of grad school.

Congratulations! I got engaged to my wife while we were long distance, due to medical school (her). I had made plans to ask her, but she suddenly got into school and had to move 600 miles away! Everything was put on hold.

We made it work. We had a very extraordinary engagement, wedding and honeymoon, but it was very "us" anyway. We actually reserved the venue and put down a non-refundable deposit before I actually proposed! All the ladies who read this can back me up on this, but they like to be asked in person! Who knew? With me working two jobs to save up and her in med school in another state, we couldn't be together to "make it official."

We wouldn't change a thing. One thing that I am sure you can agree to (and will only grow as time goes on) is the appreciation that distance and time adds to the relationship. As my wife just said, "You really learn to appreciate and value every minute with the other person." We never sweat or fight over the small stuff anymore. We know that every moment is precious, even though we've only spent a few weeks apart, here and there, since we married. Besides, I can't lose her. Since meeting my wife, I have become relatively useless on my own! I am a study in entropy whenever she is away. :)

We were married on 08-08-08, not for symbolism or anything, but because that was the best time between board exams, honeymoon, moving to a new medical rotation and starting the next year of school. Most of the engaged student in her class were married that weekend. You see... To a grad student (especially a med student), school is the hub everything hangs on.

If I can provide any advice, it would be to find a venue that has all of the arrangements, caterer, etc... all figured out. While my wife was in med school, she didn't have time to figure out music, caterer, tables and chairs, and the like. We chose a venue that happened to have a contract caterer who arranged the desserts and rentals, and venue, and staff, and all the trimmings. It saved on tons of stress. My wife picked the dress, hair, flowers and colors. We both picked the food and music. The rest, minus a few items, was done by the caterer/venue. It was absolutely perfect!

Good luck! I wish you both the best. Again, Congratulations.

We were married on 08-08-08...

That's my birthday! =3

Great to hear your story and discover that long-distance relationships and grad school can mix provided the right partners. :) Thanks for sharing!

Hey Dusty, I'm glad to see you're enjoying your summer volunteering! I've been checking feverishly for this update, haha.

I don't do the tiny notepad thing but I will probably start soon... I do already have a whiteboard, though, and I love it. I'm the kind of person who is motivated by progress, and keeping track of my goals/to-do list on a whiteboard gives me a real opportunity to see that progress. I highly recommend it, even if it's just for sharing photos and keeping basic goals visible.

I'm so jealous that you're not the worrying type. I'm already in ulcer territory (hyperbole) just thinking about the wait. But what you said about making yourself "unrejectable" for the second time around, I'm trying to apply to my first attempt.

Thanks so much for your blogs! It's great to have an insider's look at a program. :)

AudioEngineer, thank you for sharing your encouraging story and congrats! There have been a lot of naysayers eager to project their bad marriages on us, assuming we are too young (24 y) or live too far apart (45 mins until we're married). I can't speak as a wise man, but maturity, growth, and selflessness seems to win out every time.

Hey Dusty, I'm glad to see you're enjoying your summer volunteering! I've been checking feverishly for this update, haha.

I don't do the tiny notepad thing but I will probably start soon... I do already have a whiteboard, though, and I love it. I'm the kind of person who is motivated by progress, and keeping track of my goals/to-do list on a whiteboard gives me a real opportunity to see that progress. I highly recommend it, even if it's just for sharing photos and keeping basic goals visible.

I'm so jealous that you're not the worrying type. I'm already in ulcer territory (hyperbole) just thinking about the wait. But what you said about making yourself "unrejectable" for the second time around, I'm trying to apply to my first attempt.

Thanks so much for your blogs! It's great to have an insider's look at a program. :)
Part II of Q&A with Ashley (rEliseMe)

http://community.advanceweb.com/blogs/aa_4/archive/2010/07/07/question-and-answer-part-2.aspx

You can use whichever system works for you, so long as you do it long enough to where it becomes habit. Thanks for taking the time to ask these questions! I know that not every student has the same experiences, but hopefully this will help give a glimpse to a few prospective students out there. Best of luck to you surviving the rest of the application process. I hope your first attempt is the only attempt you need!

"I believe the true definition of maturity is the way you look at past experiences and use them to evolve into a better person." Well said and I definitely agree with you on that one!

rEliseMe, thank you so much for being the only person on this forum to step up and ask Dustbug10 questions about grad school. These are excellent questions to ask and the answers provided by you, Dusty, are really helpful and useful.

Regarding the volunteer work, I'd have to say that volunteering somewhere involving individuals with hearing loss is a great learning experience. Definitely a must during undergraduate studies and grad school.

"I believe the true definition of maturity is the way you look at past experiences and use them to evolve into a better person." Well said and I definitely agree with you on that one!

rEliseMe, thank you so much for being the only person on this forum to step up and ask Dustbug10 questions about grad school. These are excellent questions to ask and the answers provided by you, Dusty, are really helpful and useful.

Regarding the volunteer work, I'd have to say that volunteering somewhere involving individuals with hearing loss is a great learning experience. Definitely a must during undergraduate studies and grad school.

Agreed, and thank you. :)

Just thought I'd share my article in the July/August issue of Audiology Today with everybody. More ranting about advocacy.. :laugh:

Attachments

• Audiology Today.pdf
    315.7 KB · Views: 309
:bow: Good job!

And I noticed you're a Cubs fan. :eek: I'll pretend I didn't see that part.

Congratulations on your engagement Dusty!

I am working at a summer camp for kids with hearing loss this summer as well, but it's for kids age 3 to 5. It's awesome. I love it. It's so great to see everything come together for these kids and the progress they can make,

:bow: Good job!

And I noticed you're a Cubs fan. :eek: I'll pretend I didn't see that part.

Are you a vile Cardinals fan?

Congratulations on your engagement Dusty!

I am working at a summer camp for kids with hearing loss this summer as well, but it's for kids age 3 to 5. It's awesome. I love it. It's so great to see everything come together for these kids and the progress they can make,

Amen. There is little room for crappy politics. It was all about the kids.

That was a very sad accident. I knew Courtney, the driver, from CSUF. We were in the same sorority.

Last edited:

If you want to see the anatomy of a #FAIL, watch the HBO movie <b>Hear and Now</b>, which chronicles 65 year old Paul and Sally Taylor in Rochester as they get CI's at the same time in 2004.
Watch the movie twice: First time, sit back and enjoy it. But the second time, watch the last half critically, taking notes.

I suggest you google Dr Mark Ross and see his numerous articles on auditory therapy.

In any case, whichever side of the "fence" you may be on in re auditory therapy, it's something that must be done to complete the job, just like properly configuring assistive devices. And if you're only interested in doing half the job, <b>then find another line of work</b>.

Dan Schwartz,
Editor, The Hearing Blog

If you want to see the anatomy of a #FAIL, watch the HBO movie <b>Hear and Now</b>, which chronicles 65 year old Paul and Sally Taylor in Rochester as they get CI's at the same time in 2004.
Watch the movie twice: First time, sit back and enjoy it. But the second time, watch the last half critically, taking notes.

I suggest you google Dr Mark Ross and see his numerous articles on auditory therapy.

In any case, whichever side of the "fence" you may be on in re auditory therapy, it's something that must be done to complete the job, just like properly configuring assistive devices. And if you're only interested in doing half the job, <b>then find another line of work</b>.

Dan Schwartz,
Editor, The Hearing Blog
Thanks, Dan. My fence sitting is more towards conducting a year long auditory rehabilitation program for non-CI indvidual patients. As I mentioned in the entry, I discovered very early in my first semester what a lack of counseling for a new hearing aid user causes. We had patients who badly needed amplification curse the hearing aids and announce their intention to never use them again because of an apathetic clinician who did not take the time necessary to acclimate them.

Last edited: