For soon to be audiology (AuD) students..

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
http://audiology.advanceweb.com/Student-and-New-Grad-Center/Student-Top-Story/An-Audiology-Success-Story.aspx?rpid=56

This is an interview piece I did with one of my instructors, Dr. Atcherson. Steph, I think you would be interested in this, as Dr. A has a severe-profound hearing loss and uses a cochlear implant since college. He also talks about what AuD entrance committees are looking for on applications, direction of our profession, impact of the AuD, and student advocacy.

Members don't see this ad.

Dusty, I am speechless! I wasn't expecting anyone to go out of their way to do this and share it with others! Thank you so much!

Dr. Atcherson shared some good advice. The above quote holds true. Without the services that I've been receiving since freshman year, I probably wouldn't make it to where I am at today. I've also established new ways to communicate more effectively with patients by using the FM system, if the patient agrees to wear the transmitter (mic). Most patient's enjoy the mic, since they tend to think it's time to play comedian. Yes, those male seniors love me. ;)

Dr. Atcherson also mentioned a few organizations. I am affiliated with Association of Medical Professionals with Hearing Losses. That's where I met an audiologist who graduated this past year and is working at an ENT clinic in Missouri. We almost have the same exact hearing loss, except she is already wearing a CI in the left ear. It really makes me want to have my CI surgery sooner!!!

Dusty, the rest of Q & A were very good and again, thanks for sharing this! I hope that Dr. Atcherson can join the forum soon. Afterall, we do need more audiology professionals on here and create more advocacy in this field.

Last edited:
Afterall, we do need more audiology professionals on here and create more advocacy in this field.

I'm going to ask my audiologist, but my primary favor is the letter of recommendation. After that's all finished up, I'll ask her to post. :)

Members don't see this ad :)
"This means that I can ensure that I am producing the ends of my words better (consonants for example), and I can project my voice outward a little better instead of projecting it more to the back of my throat and head as a way to feel the vibrations of my speech. This inward projection of the voice is one of the reasons why people with severe-to-profound hearing losses can sound the way they do."

That's way cool! I had no idea that's what causes the "deaf voice."

Also, he mentioned that advocacy can start as early as graduate school. I disagree. Advocacy can happen at any stage of the game as long as you're transparent regarding your level of knowledge about the field. I advocate whenever I get a chance!

There's a lot of nasality going on in "deaf" voices. Both of my professors for Voice/Cranio and physics of speech explained this occurance very well. By the way, my Voice/Cranio professor graduated with his PhD from U of Iowa! He LOVES the CD program there and everything else. He told me to tell you that you'll love it more when you start there...

Also, I found an article, but I'm not sure if you or anyone here will have access to it. I'm using my university's system so some of these links are already paid for and ready for use.

Here's the link: http://www.sciencedirect.com/science?_ob=ArticleURL&_udi=B6T85-4603WBS-3N&_user=521375&_coverDate=02%2F29%2F1984&_rdoc=1&_fmt=high&_orig=search&_origin=search&_sort=d&_docanchor=&view=c&_searchStrId=1498540241&_rerunOrigin=google&_acct=C000059558&_version=1&_urlVersion=0&_userid=521375&md5=5cd8ab93f99d3d3de9381d22540bf521&searchtype=a

Um, yah, sorry for that long link. hehe. If you have issues getting into it, I'm sure you can find other great articles by using google.

...my Voice/Cranio professor graduated with his PhD from U of Iowa! He LOVES the CD program there and everything else. He told me to tell you that you'll love it more when you start there...

I'm not sure that's possible!
Does he have any hints for me?

Steph, are you going to Audiology NOW! this year? Dr. Atcherson will be there, and is interested in meeting AuD students with hearing loss.

Great blog this bi-week, Dusty! I was actually thinking about the same thing today: whether GPA is important in grad school or if it's the knowledge you gain that professors value most. I like that undergraduate is the last time I'll ever have to fret about my GPA. :)

Also, I know I'm not Steph, but I'm hoping to be giving a poster presentation at the American Audiology Society meeting in Arizona in early March (best time to be in Arizona!). Don't think I'll make AudiologyNOW!, though. My funds will be depleted between that conference and application fees. :(

Great blog this bi-week, Dusty! I was actually thinking about the same thing today: whether GPA is important in grad school or if it's the knowledge you gain that professors value most. I like that undergraduate is the last time I'll ever have to fret about my GPA. :)

Also, I know I'm not Steph, but I'm hoping to be giving a poster presentation at the American Audiology Society meeting in Arizona in early March (best time to be in Arizona!). Don't think I'll make AudiologyNOW!, though. My funds will be depleted between that conference and application fees. :(

Congrat's on a 4.0, but that's not something I'd look at when trying to hire you :).

-Kenneth Smith, PP Audiology - Dir of Operations, Hearing center of Castro Valley

:D

I know how you feel about Audiology NOW!. My brother and friends have been trying to be sneaky and book a Vegas bachelor party a month before my wedding. This would sit one week after the conference in Chicago.

Steph, are you going to Audiology NOW! this year? Dr. Atcherson will be there, and is interested in meeting AuD students with hearing loss.

Dusty, I'm looking into it. I know of several audiologists with a hearing loss, including Dr. Atcherson, that will attending this conference. I would love to meet them in person. Also, several faculty members from AuD programs will be attending (Auburn, SDSU, and WU), so I'd love to meet them all in one place before I start applying to AuD programs.

Are you and Ashley attending?

Members don't see this ad :)
You are not the only person who feels like they may have hit a wall!

I usually feel like I'm miles ahead of my peers, but every few years I hit a point where it seems I've been stagnant and my peers catch up. They key is realizing that you are still a capable, passionate person and all you have to do is get back on track with a) believing in yourself and b) giving consistent, solid effort. :)

Great blog, as always!

I made a decision this year that sanity is more important than a 4.0. I don't regret it.... yet!!!! :) knock on wood.

the closest I have come to losing it in a theatre is when Wilson the volleyball was lost at sea in Castaway.
:lol: That was sarcastic! And Dobby is scary looking. I can't even look at the screen when he pops up.

:lol: That was sarcastic! And Dobby is scary looking. I can't even look at the screen when he pops up.
It's worse when he speaks.

The scene from Castaway was the saddest scene in modern day film. I would say right there Twilight when Edward the vampire ditches that one chick..

Hey, that WAS the saddest part, Dusty. No joke! =P

Anyways, great blog post! I've never seen a HP movie and everyone in my family has seen them. Am I really missing out?

Also, keep up with those research articles, they're really interesting! I'm currently getting articles from ASHA's Audiology Journals and NIDCD. I'm a happy subscriber!

Congrats on the new assistantship!!! Looking forward to hearing some stories and clinical advice!

I really like the saying, "It is a constant battle to remind myself to take things one day at a time and know that everything will click when the time is right." Well said!

Congrats on the new assistantship!!! Looking forward to hearing some stories and clinical advice!

I really like the saying, "It is a constant battle to remind myself to take things one day at a time and know that everything will click when the time is right." Well said!
Thanks, Steph..

I think the VA will provide a fresh start that I need with kinder preceptors. I've learned this semester to 'thicken my skin' so to speak around less than cordial and trustworthy preceptors. There have been times where I let a dark environment affect my progression as a student clinician. Glad to know there are professionals around who believe in me. :)

your entry made me laugh because it seems like we just can't stop talking about meyers-brigss on this forum. =) http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=747911&highlight=meyers-briggs

ISFP baby! :p

i actually had to sit through a half-day seminar on meyers-briggs at my work before i started grad school. it was pretty boring except for the part where we find out what everybody is and somehow people get all competitive about their personalities.

your entry made me laugh because it seems like we just can't stop talking about meyers-brigss on this forum. =) http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=747911&highlight=meyers-briggs

ISFP baby! :p

i actually had to sit through a half-day seminar on meyers-briggs at my work before i started grad school. it was pretty boring except for the part where we find out what everybody is and somehow people get all competitive about their personalities.
haha! We took the test for our counseling course and seperated everyone by introverts vs. extroverts. Each group wrote one word personality traits to describe the other. It got nasty pretty quick.

haha! We took the test for our counseling course and seperated everyone by introverts vs. extroverts. Each group wrote one word personality traits to describe the other. It got nasty pretty quick.

I'm on my phone, so I don't feel like searching for your first test results... What were your letters the first time? Did you test differently this time?

thanks for introducing this site to me during the Audigy Fall Summit this weekend. i had no idea how involved you are and it's awesome to see. i quickly skimmed through some of what you've written and liked it all (GO LAKERS!)

looking forward to reading more from you, getting to know you more and being colleagues.

Dusty, I'm dying to hear more about your favorite lectures! Chop chop!

Sent from my DROIDX using SDN Mobile

Back by popular demand (basically relise me):

A Demanding and Stressful Semester
http://community.advanceweb.com/blo...04/10/a-demanding-and-stressful-semester.aspx

Instant Healing
http://community.advanceweb.com/blogs/aa_4/archive/2012/04/12/instant-healing.aspx

Here's my audio at it's worst. :D

33ngp03.jpg

"My classmate did accuse me of milking the situation and being a "drama queen." She's probably right! "

Thanks for letting the world know that I am right!! :thumbup:

(Hmm, funny bone line -- do you have bilateral SSCD?? What's bone at 250 Hz? Too much studying, sorry! :))
Ha! Tulio = too loud! I'm usually around 0 to -5 dB across the board. I don't know how to explain BC at 2k & 4k. Maybe some combo of TTS, first experience with tinnitus, and bad oscillator placement? I don't know how you guys with hearing loss function so well. Even the mild loss was miserable.