For students at UF

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gators14

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
For students who are at UF....how is the school? How are the teachers? are they helpful or too busy with research? Are notes in powerpoint and classes online? many group projects? How stressful is it? How much time do you put into studying? Overall what is the feeling at UF? I know there was a similar question asked sometime ago but I wanted a more recent view of UF.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
For students who are at UF....how is the school? How are the teachers? are they helpful or too busy with research? Are notes in powerpoint and classes online? many group projects? How stressful is it? How much time do you put into studying? Overall what is the feeling at UF? I know there was a similar question asked sometime ago but I wanted a more recent view of UF.

I found just about all the teachers very helpful. They respond to your emails and they read the discussion boards on a regular basis. Most of the notes are power point and are online for you to download. For med chem, you have to purchase a notes packet.

There's not a whole lot of group projects, except for pharmacotherapy during year three and four. Most classes have a single group project during the semester.

Stress is high, but appears to be campus dependent. St. Pete goes out of their way to create extra stress.

There's a lot of lectures to get through online during your first 2 years. You also have a class called practicum which is off campus at a pharmacy. At St Pete, they will make sure that you drive as far as possible to disrupt your schedule. While your wasting your time driving, you are missing lectures. So, you have to watch them in the evening or early in the morning. It's designed to add more stress.

For years one through three, I stopped watching TV completely. I stopped riding my bike and stopped everything else that I used to enjoy. There wasn't time to do anything except watch lectures, do assignments, study and sleep. My commute to school was 1.5 hours each way, which added to the stress. You'd probably have more time if you lived close to campus.

I have gone to UF for my two years of Pre-Pharm

It's really all dependent on the professor of how nice they are etc.

I have had some professors that would bend over backwards to help you- then I've had arrogant jerks

I have heard the UF COP professor are REALLY nice and VERY helpful

Most of my professors post stuff online or we can buy corse packets for pretty cheap with all the notes

hope this helps!

oh and I would plan on studying A LOT- it's pretty difficult

no easy grades you have to work for them

the new library is great- starbucks knows me by name :)

I find that I really like the way the program is designed except for one thing... It's a little difficult to get help. Questions are posted/answered on a discussion board, but sometimes it's hard to get your point across, or interpret the answer properly. I'm more of a face-to-face person though, everyone has different learning styles. One of the best things I did was to form a study group. Three minds work better than one!

It is a very stressful program that requires a lot of time studying. As Dana said, most notes are powerpoints and classes are viewed online. We meet about 3-4 times a week on campus for group work, quizzes, exams, presentations, etc.

Having the lectures online is amazing, you can sleep in and watch them in the comfort of your own home. Want to pause it and go get something to eat, go ahead, didn't hear something, stop and rewind. Not to mention you can watch everything in 1.5x speed to save time. I thought it was hard but everyone was really helpfull, students and teachers.

thank you all for your posts. All your responses gave me some insight onto how FLorida is. Thankyou again

I'm in the Orlando campus and I really love it. The campus is small but adequate for our needs... hell, we only have 50 people in my class. My biggest difficulty is living so far away (70-90 minute drive), which eats into a lot of study time.

The teachers are good at answering questions and most take exam material straight from the powerpoint notes. The proctors in Orlando are pretty lenient and really do their best to prepare us for the next 3 years as far as presentations and communication skills go...

The first semester for 1PD seemed to have a crap load of group projects and presentations. So far, we've only had 2 group projects for the second semester. It's really not that bad so long as you have responsible group members.

Stress depends on your personality and perhaps the people you hang with... There will be some groups that act like doomsday is near when exams come, and others act confidently like they know they'll get everything done. The only time I was considerably stressed was when I did an all-nighter for a Dosage Forms final exam. I wouldn't recommend it. Personally, I can't function without at least 7 hours of sleep. I've managed plenty of sleep before every other exam though.

I usually try to study all day. For the days I'm not on campus, I wake up at 9:30AM and watch whatever leftover lectures I have from earlier in the week. At lunch I'll watch tv shows that I downloaded (I'm too cheap to buy tivo) so I don't get behind on my shows ;) 24, Lost, Prison Break, Heroes, BSG, House, etc... At about 1:00PM, most of the day's lectures will start coming online so I'll start those to stay up to date. I try to finish everything by dinner time. After dinner, I'll study for an impending quiz or exam, prepare a presentation, or just vegetate and watch some tv. :oops:

Overall, the feeling in Orlando is pretty upbeat. We're concerned about next year (2PD) and all the horror stories... but I have a lot of free time that I can still eliminate along with moving closer to school, so I know I'll survive. :luck:

ethyl...thax for your thoughful post....prison break is also by favorite show!