For the guys- quality wrinkle-free shirts/ pants for clinic?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AORiverContra

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Updating wardrobe for 3rd year, and of course I'm all about getting clothes that are non-iron/ wrinkle free to minimize laundry time. Any recommendations?

Members don't see this ad.

If you have the budget for it, the Brooks Brothers ones have gotten me through interviewing for MSTP all the way through residency interviews and graduation. (i.e. I still have several I bought nearly 10 years ago, no lost buttons, no holes, no wrinkles, etc)

Reactions: 1 users
Tm lewin. But wait for a sale when they go for 30 bucks a piece. Happens about twice a year once during the summer

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Updating wardrobe for 3rd year, and of course I'm all about getting clothes that are non-iron/ wrinkle free to minimize laundry time. Any recommendations?

I recommend you find a good laundry service, "Wrinkle free" shirts look terribly unprofessional if they're not ironed.

I recommend you find a good laundry service, "Wrinkle free" shirts look terribly unprofessional if they're not ironed.
Agree. Of course, if you're really lazy and you know you'll be wearing your white coat all day anyways you can just iron the front.

Reactions: 3 users
Non iron shirts need to still be ironed but with much less effort. You can get a steamer and the non iron shirt will look excellent after a 1 minute session

after you wash/dry then just take your clothes out of the dryer as soon as they're done, and hang up right away. With a white coat on, nobody will notice if your shirt is a bit wrinkled. Most people in the hospital won't even notice if your shirt is mildly wrinkled and half the attendings look sloppy as $h!t themselves.

If you have the budget for it, the Brooks Brothers ones have gotten me through interviewing for MSTP all the way through residency interviews and graduation. (i.e. I still have several I bought nearly 10 years ago, no lost buttons, no holes, no wrinkles, etc)
They also have a non-iron line. My favorite shirt is a Brooks Brothers non-iron.

Charles Tyrwhitt for shirts. Seriously a hidden gem.

Brooks Brothers Milano fit chinos, and J. Crew 770 Pants. Not entirely satisfied with either, still on the lookout for a better option.
J Crew has some pants with stretch fabric. If you haven't bought new pants from them in a while, try them on. Look and feel great imo.

Non iron shirts need to still be ironed but with much less effort. You can get a steamer and the non iron shirt will look excellent after a 1 minute session

Have your shirt in the bathroom while you take a shower

Reactions: 5 users
Kirkland from Costco. Very good for lifters. Lots of glute and quad room in stretch fit

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Tm lewin. But wait for a sale when they go for 30 bucks a piece. Happens about twice a year once during the summer
You can always get them for $30. Just search "Charles Tyrwhitt" and click on the first result. Apparently TM Lewin runs ads on searches for competitors.

Anyway, OP I also recommend TM Lewin - slightly better fit (armholes) than Charles Tyrwhitt. They also have a new "super fitted" cut, which I can confirm is super fitted.

You can always get them for $30. Just search "Charles Tyrwhitt" and click on the first result. Apparently TM Lewin runs ads on searches for competitors.

Anyway, OP I also recommend TM Lewin - slightly better fit (armholes) than Charles Tyrwhitt. They also have a new "super fitted" cut, which I can confirm is super fitted.
Yea haha i just realized that yesterday. I literally typed in tmlewin.com and the shirts were like 5 for 200 and then i searched in google and saw the link that takes you to the site where all shirts are 30 bucks and free shipping.

Se
Yea haha i just realized that yesterday. I literally typed in tmlewin.com and the shirts were like 5 for 200 and then i searched in google and saw the link that takes you to the site where all shirts are 30 bucks and free shipping.

I prefer Charles Tyrwhitt to TM Lewin due to the fit, CT extra slim fit fits me well, TM lewin slim is too big and extra too small. I also liked the fabric quality and brass copper stays of CT shirts. They can also be had for 30/shirt if you look around for coupons. Both brands are much better and cheaper then Nordstrom, brooks brothers, etc.

For sizing it’s CT regular > TM regular (both massive) > CT slim > TM slim > CT extra > TM extra slim > CT new super slim. They all have free returns so order a bunch and find one that fits.

For ironing, as long as you hang them out of the drier I find no need to iron if you’re wearing under a white coat or jacket/blazer

try a pair of slacks from Paul Frederick catalog, search by fabric & choose "Performance" and Microfiber.
They have a great drape, feel silky, and never wrinkle. Frequent sales so you can stock up if you like them.
Right now they are $45. Oh P.S. they are machine washable

I have both brooks brothers and J crew shirts that work real well. Recommend those wrinkle free shirts and I use Cole Hann shoes with a little extra insole in them to save my arch and give me a little extra cushion for the heel. With the insoles in I can stand/walk around all day in em

Pro tip get stretchy pants and shirts. Pro pro tip put them in the dryer with a damp hand towel for 8-10 minutes for an acceptable look

Pro tip get stretchy pants and shirts. Pro pro tip put them in the dryer with a damp hand towel for 8-10 minutes for an acceptable look

Whoever added stretch to pants is legit my hero.

Reactions: 3 users
Joseph A Bank always seems to be running a sale and are the only shirts my husbands owns that don’t drive me crazy with wrinkles when I wash them. His Dockers are nice too. And surprisingly, his pants from Eddie Bauer hold up well.

These are all good options if you have a completely standard body shape. If you don't, get a made to measure shirt. They're about 30% more but the fit is so much better. If you have to tailor an off the rack shirt or buy a brand name shirt it's the same price. Even still, off the rack shirts always have weird low armholes, parachute arms, or baggy waists, even if they fit you decently because they have to be able to fit a variety of shapes.

I get them online with coupons for the first order. You usually have to get 1 shirt to test out the slightly different cuts different tailors have and wash it a few times to see how much it shrinks (or dry clean it), then tweak the measurements for a second shirt. After that you should be golden. If you have a truly weird body shape then a local tailor would be a better choice. These are shirts you can own for many years and look good even without a white coat, so I see it as an investment.

I liked my Cabela's wrinkle free shirts for years - cheap, good fit, and if you got them out of the dryer fast enough would come out completely unwrinkled.

They don't make them anymore, so giving Banana Republic's wrinkle free ones a try.

I did like the Joseph Banks ones years ago, but they're reasonably expensive.

These are all good options if you have a completely standard body shape. If you don't, get a made to measure shirt. They're about 30% more but the fit is so much better. If you have to tailor an off the rack shirt or buy a brand name shirt it's the same price. Even still, off the rack shirts always have weird low armholes, parachute arms, or baggy waists, even if they fit you decently because they have to be able to fit a variety of shapes.

I get them online with coupons for the first order. You usually have to get 1 shirt to test out the slightly different cuts different tailors have and wash it a few times to see how much it shrinks (or dry clean it), then tweak the measurements for a second shirt. After that you should be golden. If you have a truly weird body shape then a local tailor would be a better choice. These are shirts you can own for many years and look good even without a white coat, so I see it as an investment.

Any recommendations for online tailored shirts?

Honestly, it’s mostly about what the shirt or pants is made out of and not the brand. Avoid 100% cotton, although it looks great, it wrinkles the most. Try clothes that have some polyester or spandex. Learn to hang you clothes right when they come out of dryer. Dry them on the delicate setting. Iron them a little as needed.

Any recommendations for online tailored shirts?
I tried modern tailor, proper cloth, tailor store and a few others. One of them had a $20 trial shirt but the cloth was so thin and cheap it shrank a lot and wasn't representative of what one of their normal shirts was like. If you have high or round shoulders, some of them don't let you customize those and some do. One brand had a weird cut and the other was perfect, but that was for my body shape so it could be the reverse for you. The trick to good shirt fit is the drape of the shoulders, everything else can be tweaked (+1cm/-1cm here or there on the next shirt).

I wear the Egara casual shirts (slim or extra slim fit) from Men's Warehouse. Great quality material and fit, and after I take them out of the dryer they have absolutely no wrinkles, never needed to iron them. Regular price is $100, but their are normally sales online for $20-30 each, and sometimes sales in the store.

Brooks Bros if you’ve got the money x 1000.

If you don’t, j. Crew factory has wrinkle free shirts for 27$ a pop in the generic colors.

I’ve yet to find good wrinkle free pants, but I wear bonobos and love them. Just tumble dry them with only a couple items in the drier and they don’t really need ironing.

Take your shirts to the cleaners to get washed and starched and dewrinkled, no one deserves to wear high-polyester crud.
angtft.jpg