For the Love of Writing...An Age of Electronic Prescriptions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AsclepiusDO

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone-

So I wanted to see if anyone else was looking forward to actually writing prescriptions by hand? When I was younger and I told my mom that I wanted to be a physician, she told me it was important for me to have good hand writing because doctors have notoriously hard to read writing. As such, I have grown up practicing writing a lot, always looking forward to being able to write my first prescription as a doctor!

In this day and age though there has been a huge move towards electronic prescriptions! It seems like for the most part CII prescriptions are the only ones that physicians really hand write anymore! Furthermore, most H&P's, clinician notes, and other documentations are all electronic too! Obviously electronic records have helped increase the level of care for patients, decreased confusion among team members, and streamlined communication, but I must say that I am sad we won't be writing as much!

I know that different places will do things differently, but I just wanted to see if anyone else is going to miss the good 'ole fashioned days too! Anyway, good luck to everyone during this application cycle =]

Members don't see this ad.

voice to text is where it's at. can't wait to voice annotate all of my notes.

Reactions: 1 user
I'm extremely thankful that we're moving electronic prescriptions. Handwritten prescriptions -> reading mistakes -> bad times.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah...e-scripts pls. I've dealt with this enough.
handwriting.jpg

:bang:

My handwriting has always been horrid. I, for one, am fine with electronic prescriptions!

LoL I figured that most people would love the e-script movement. But to me, it's just not the same as writing a prescription by hand! I have seen my share of bad handwriting by doctors though too, so I can certainly see the benefit

You may still be able to "write" prescriptions, it will probably just depend on where you work. The large practices around use electronic prescriptions, but I live in a particularly rural area and my local doctor still writes them out by hand to take to the pharmacy or she calls them in by phone. Though times are changing with new documentation procedures.

A few instances I've seen are controlled substances/schedule II drugs written by hand despite the usage of electronic for other meds. There's hope for you yet, hand writer! But really, I think the trend is electronic. If you end up owning your own practice maybe you can do what you want :)

A few instances I've seen are controlled substances/schedule II drugs written by hand despite the usage of electronic for other meds. There's hope for you yet, hand writer! But really, I think the trend is electronic. If you end up owning your own practice maybe you can do what you want :)
Yeah, some places require hand written scripts for narcotics, etc. Often, the doctor has to call in person and provide their DEA number, too.

It would be cool to see how this will go electronic. Maybe thumb scans of the doctor or maybe even a retinal scan. That would be cool.

I shadowed a physician who had a notebook of prescriptions. It was as wide as a textbook but about 1/3 of the height. It was pretty cool to see it being used. Kind of a neat homage to what will likely be done away with in a few more years. So don't give up hope just yet! Keep up that penmanship game!

Wait until 3rd year where you'll see the extra/unnecessary work in some EMR systems.

Many rural areas you still have to write Rx to patients since there are no national pharmacies in the area. You will also have to hand write when the EMR goes down.