For the people who interviewed after the new year

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
F

freshprinceMD

For the people who interviewed after the new year in the past cycles, where you offered acceptances or were the interviews mostly for waitlist positions?
I know its different depending on the school and depending on the applicant, but I'd appreciate it if people can share their personal experiences with interviews later in the cycle.
Thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

I interview in January, Ill update when I find out!

Members don't see this ad :)
Interviewing for waitlist is a waste of interview resources. It is better to simply end the interview season early rather than waste everyone's time.

So it's possible to be directly accepted from January interviews.

Reactions: 1 users
I think the whole concept of 'interviewing for the waitlist' is kind of a myth. A class would have to have been tentatively filled at the time of the interview for that to be the situation, and quite frankly, it'd be a waste of time for the school to do things that way. If you have an interview, you've caught their interest and have a real shot at an acceptance. Good luck!

Reactions: 1 user
I agree with the above: I can't imagine a school interviewing for waitlist spots. If a school's interviewing, it means they've got unfilled seats and any given interviewee can lay claim to them.

But to answer the OP's question: I interviewed at a very highly-respected school in mid-February, received an acceptance letter dated less than one week after the interview, and ultimately matriculated there. A young lady who interviewed the same day as me ended up in my class. Go to your post-New Year's interviews believing they saved the best for last, and convince your interviewers of it!

Reactions: 3 users
I interviewed at several schools in the new year and was accepted. At the school I am attending, I interviewed on their second to last interview day at the end of March, was invited two weeks prior and accepted the week following. There were at least three other people from my interview day in my class. One of the other schools put me on their waitlist and I was accepted a week or two after the day where everyone drops their multiple acceptances. I did not feel disadvantaged having the majority of my interviews after the new year. Just be confident and enthusiastic in your interview!

For the people who interviewed after the new year in the past cycles, where you offered acceptances or were the interviews mostly for waitlist positions?
I know its different depending on the school and depending on the applicant, but I'd appreciate it if people can share their personal experiences with interviews later in the cycle.
Thanks in advance.

We always have seats left at the last admissions committee meeting, but they are inevitably fewer than we'd like. Some late-interview folks who would have gotten in earlier in the season get waitlisted at the tail end. The good news is that they almost invariably get in after some wait list movement. Also, since they're still on the market late in the cycle, they tend to be very grateful and happy to climb on board.

Reactions: 1 user
I interviewed at the school I graduated from in late January after receiving an II in early January. Several of the people I interviewed with that day were in my class. It's really school dependent, but where there's an interview, there's a chance for acceptance.