For those applying for 2006

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ediddly

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just got this email from my school's pre-dental advisory committee, thought you guys might be interested in seeing what they have to say about rec letters:

AADSAS just yesterday (3/3/05)announced a NEW policy for students' letters of recommendation. ADSAS now says that students can continue to use the AADSAS "matching form" for their letters of rec OR they can arrange to have their letters of rec sent directly to the dental schools.
The staff at the office of Preprofessional Services encourages students to consider now using Interfolio instead of the AADSAS matching form. Here's why...with the AADSAS "matching form" you have to supply each person who is writing you a letter of rec with the matching form, a preaddressed stamped envelope, and then rely on each letter of rec writer getting their letter in the mail and each one arriving at each dental school through the postal mail service. The new option of using Interfolio allows you to provide each one of your letter writers with a unique identification form that you download from Interfolio and then each letter writer submits their letter electronically to Interfolio where the letters are stored and can be sent immediately, at your request, to as many schools as you determine. Even once you order Interfolio to send the letters, the letters will remain on file there as long as you maintain your Interfolio account so that if you decide to apply to additional schools or have to reapply the next year you letters can remain on file. Our experience with Interfolio for the hundreds of medical school applicants over the past few years has proved this to be a fast, reliable, and easy process for the letters of recommendation.
We at Preprofessional Services encourage you to consider using Interfolio. Please visit their website at www.interfolio.com or link from our website; and, please note all the details including the fees involved.

Hope this helps and serves as a good alternative to doing everything through AADSAS, as the rec letters are the biggest thing that slow down a lot of our applications. I say the less AADSAS the better. Good luck to everyone!

Members don't see this ad.

ediddly said:
I just got this email from my school's pre-dental advisory committee, thought you guys might be interested in seeing what they have to say about rec letters:

AADSAS just yesterday (3/3/05)announced a NEW policy for students' letters of recommendation. ADSAS now says that students can continue to use the AADSAS "matching form" for their letters of rec OR they can arrange to have their letters of rec sent directly to the dental schools.
The staff at the office of Preprofessional Services encourages students to consider now using Interfolio instead of the AADSAS matching form. Here's why...with the AADSAS "matching form" you have to supply each person who is writing you a letter of rec with the matching form, a preaddressed stamped envelope, and then rely on each letter of rec writer getting their letter in the mail and each one arriving at each dental school through the postal mail service. The new option of using Interfolio allows you to provide each one of your letter writers with a unique identification form that you download from Interfolio and then each letter writer submits their letter electronically to Interfolio where the letters are stored and can be sent immediately, at your request, to as many schools as you determine. Even once you order Interfolio to send the letters, the letters will remain on file there as long as you maintain your Interfolio account so that if you decide to apply to additional schools or have to reapply the next year you letters can remain on file. Our experience with Interfolio for the hundreds of medical school applicants over the past few years has proved this to be a fast, reliable, and easy process for the letters of recommendation.
We at Preprofessional Services encourage you to consider using Interfolio. Please visit their website at www.interfolio.com or link from our website; and, please note all the details including the fees involved.

Hope this helps and serves as a good alternative to doing everything through AADSAS, as the rec letters are the biggest thing that slow down a lot of our applications. I say the less AADSAS the better. Good luck to everyone!

bet that will go down real well with the older professors.

Hey, thanks for the info! :cool:

Yeah, my experience with the AADSAS, especially when it came to LOR, was not so great. They forgot to mail out letters to several schools and by that time the deadline had passed and created a huge mess. I'll definitely try this route when I apply in May.

Thanks again :D

Members don't see this ad :)
oh NOW there's actually an 'accepted' alternative. Where was this before when I was going crazy waiting on slow pokey AADSAS?? My experience with AADSAS has been irritating to say the least. Seriously, what takes them so long to process our applications if it's electronic? A week, maybe, but c'mon, 4-6 weeks?! That's ridiculous considering the amount of money we all pay. Not to mention that they 'misplace' transcripts and LORs. It's so sad that at this day and age with all the technology etc. that predents have to rely on such an inefficient system that the majority of the dental schools require that we use. The worse part is that our future dental careers depend on those applications getting sent in a timely fashion and the most they can say is 'oops. sorry.' I say either get rid of AADSAS or make it more efficient..pronto!

pslim said:
oh NOW there's actually an 'accepted' alternative. Where was this before when I was going crazy waiting on slow pokey AADSAS?? My experience with AADSAS has been irritating to say the least. Seriously, what takes them so long to process our applications if it's electronic? A week, maybe, but c'mon, 4-6 weeks?! That's ridiculous considering the amount of money we all pay. Not to mention that they 'misplace' transcripts and LORs. It's so sad that at this day and age with all the technology etc. that predents have to rely on such an inefficient system that the majority of the dental schools require that we use. The worse part is that our future dental careers depend on those applications getting sent in a timely fashion and the most they can say is 'oops. sorry.' I say either get rid of AADSAS or make it more efficient..pronto!

shoot, to just pay $200 they can send it whenever they want. Thats a freakin deal.....

Do the individual schools recognize this service? Or are they expecting to have letters of Rec from AADSAS? I'm also wondering if the letters of rec need to be on a professional letter head, and if so,how is this service maintaining the integrity of the letter head if they receive things electronicallys? Anyone know the answers?