For those current USC students....

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Just wondering...especially to those who are done w/ their first year at USC...how detailed do we have to know the directions for the drug list? I've been working on my portion and it seems there are MANY exceptions. For example Zyrtec syrup...if you are an Adult it is 5mg or 10mg PO qd, ages 2-5 it is 2.5mg PO qd but can increase to 5mg PO qd or 2.5mg PO bid, and younger than that...it's 2.5 PO qd...BUT if you are hepatically impaired...it should only be 5mg POqd and not recommended for children under 6. Many of the drugs have change in doses under certain circumstances. :eek:

Members don't see this ad.

alright. 126-138 for biophiliac and 139-150 for me it is. i'll email it to you, biophiliac, asap.

hey,
i just got my list yesterday and i started on them last nite. can someone tell me is the deadline still the same for 101-200 i.e. asap aug 27th? I intend on having them done by either tomorrow on sunday. It'll be my breaks between studying for midterm. ;) also pharmdgrl i totalllyyy understand what your talking about with the different dosages and am wondering about that too. laters anyone know what we're supposed to include??

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi everyone,

I'm starting to compile drugs #1-100 into categories. Dloi should be giving you a numerical list for #1-100 very shortly. I should be done with the category list by SUNDAY, 7/18 afternoon.

I NEED EVERYONE'S EMAIL ADDRESS again because I accidently deleted my address book list on my email account. Please PM me or email me at [email protected] with your email address and SDN screen name (so I can associate the email address with a screen name). Thanks.

As for #101-200, please try to get them done ASAP, preferably by JULY 31st. I think many of us would like the complete 200 drug list before we start school.

Although I'm only an entering first year, I think that we just need to know the typical directions and dosages for the quiz in August. HOWEVER, being able to know different directions for different circumstances will help us all become better pharmacists, so if you don't take the time to learn them now, I'm pretty sure we're going to need to know all of them (directions and dosages) when we start working. Just my two cents.

hey guys!
i just emailed out the complete numerical list for drugs 1-100. if you contributed but did not receive the list, please email me at [email protected] so that i can get one to you ASAP.
happy studying! :thumbup:

Anyone living at Seaver this year...i got a regular double....

on the subject of seaver...what if we are on the waitlist?? i'm number 3. i'm wondering what to do if i actually get a spot about parking "sigh" :D i'm gonna go looking around areas next sat. and then try to actually get an apt the following weekend.

hey everyone,

i just sent out the categorical drug list for #1-100. if you were a contributor, but did not receive the list, email me at [email protected] or [email protected], and I'll send one to your email address of choice.

PLEASE remember that drugs #101-200 are due by JULY 31st. I changed the due date to an earlier one because it would be 1) easier for myself (and dloi too) to compile these lists now rather than during the busy first fall semester, and 2) it would be beneficial to learn the categorical classification of all 200 within relatively the same period of time. If this earlier due date is a problem for contributors #101-200, please post on this thread, maybe we can have others help out.

here's a list of the contributors (* denotes that I have received your share as of 7/16)

tanyas 1-14*
justin 15-25*
steve 26-40*
hnguyen 41-50*
dloi 51-65*
ngmpr3ss 66-75*
lr pharm 76-90*
pandahuimei 91-100*
pharmdgrl 101-113 (missing)
shoplifter 114-125 (missing)
biophiliac 126-138 (missing)
nivs22 139-150 (missing)
muimui 151-165 (missing)
kelly1180 166-175 (missing)
calgal 176-187*
zenguppy 188-200 (missing)

Thanks steve and everyone who did 1-100, it looks good!! I'm done with #151-165 and will send it to you soon after I double check it...meeting everyone in aug sounds good too! And did anyone get a letter from the federal loan service about a bonus 1.25% interest rate reduction if you consolidate all of your federal student loans? Sounds kinda too good to be true...let me know please =)

For the second years here....for the top 100 drug test, will we be tested on all 100 of them or just a select few? Thanks! :D

I did not get the consolidation letter, but my friend who just finished med school consolidated with 1.25%.

Thanks for evevryone who worked on 1-100! I'm still working on mine but should have it done by tomorrow and I'll send it ASAP. As for meeting before the orientation, I'm all for it! I'm leaving for vocation for the next couple of weeks but should return on 8/14. Hopefully I can still meet everyone! Have we decided on the date? Enjoy the summer eveyone! As for me, I'm back to studying again (have a biochem final coming up next week...**sigh**).

Hey Everyone!!!!!

I want to thank everyone who contributed to the drug list. You guys ROCK!!!!! We should all get together and study for the exam later on. It'll be fun!!!!

I noticed that some people used SIG codes. I'm not sure if everyone knows SIG codes, so I typed up this reference sheet for you guys. :) You guys can also check out Geneva Pharmaceuticals' Pocket Guide . Its a great reference book to have and its FREE!!!!! I gave them to my pharmacy volunteers at Cal and they loved it!!!!! I requested Geneva for 50 more booklets, hopefully I can give everyone a copy during our get together. :)

Speaking about the get together.... Let's set the date for Aug. 15 (so kelly1180 can make it :) ). ... so i guess it'll be mini golf then dinner somewhere at Old Town Pas.... then drinks?? and/or bowling.... or drunken bowling.... puhahahaha!!!!!! :laugh: sound good??

Attachments

• SIG Codes.doc
    22 KB · Views: 145
Members don't see this ad :)
I wanted to thank everyone for their help as well!! :p I also would like to thank Steve and Danmy for organizing the drugs for us! :) This is great how we started our teamwork early. I hope I will be able to join you all during the "gathering," but if not I look forward to seeing you in the Fall! Thanks again!

Aug. 15 sounds good for me, I'll be back from vacation on Aug. 13. :)

Thanks Steve and Danmy for puting the list together, and everyone who contributed to the List. Study Hard and I will see you guys soon.

Thanks all for all the hard work!!!~ It's great seeing the teamwork we all put forth as a classmates already and I look forward to meeting you all! I'll be in the process of moving down to LA on the 14th so I will be getting settled in that weekend. I'll try to make it to the get together keep me updated on what being planned.....LOL drunken bowling or mini golf definately would be the ice breaker and interesting way to get to know each other HAHA! Here comes my golf ball FOOOOOOOOOOUR!!:D

Hey everyone,

Thanks for all the hard work that everyone put into #1-100. I'm so grateful that my classmates are so enthused about teamwork already, I think c/o 2008 is going to be the best SC has ever seen!

Zenguppy - Aug. 15 sounds good to me too! Mini-golf sounds like fun, I haven't teed up in ages. I think you should get a head count of who's going, for restaurant reservation purposes, although Sun evenings at Buca/Cheesecake shouldn't be too bad (hopefully!?!).

BTW, just got my finaid report posted on oasis, bummer, all loans! Did anyone receive any grants/scholarships? I'm seriously thinking about living at home to save 10-15K per year, is anyone commuting from the South Bay area (torrance, carson, etc)? Maybe we can set up a carpool? PM me if your interested.

Good luck studying everyone!

hey guys,

I have just finished my drug portion. I am gonna double check it and will send it tomorrow ( Very tired right now from studying for my MT today).
take care

lyzziebeth said:
The directions should be GENERAL for an ADULT population. For example:

Amoxicillin 250, 500, 875 mg (or 250-875mg is acceptable)
Take 2capsules po bid for 7 days

Dr. Baron isn't looking for the exceptions and all, but rather, a general knowledge that you know the "normal" ranges of the drugs and the usual length a patient would be taking the medication (he's simply trying to help you recognize if something on a prescription is wrong)

If any of you have a PDA with Palm software, go to www.epocrates.com where you can get FREE drug software with all the pertinent information

Hope that helps.... :)

Hey guys,
just wanted to suggest that as we study the list, we double check each other. This is by no means blaming anyone for making a mistake, just a good idea so that we memorize correct dosages, etc.
I'll go first:
amoxil:
Tab, chewable, oral:125, 200, 250, 400 mg
Capsule: 250, 500 mg
Tab: 500, 875 mg
For suspension, oral: 50mg/5mL, 125mg/5mL, 200mg/5mL, 250mg/5mL, 400mg/mL
Dir: 250-500 mg every 8 hours

I was thinking about getting a PDA. Does anyone have any good recommendations as to which brands are good? I heard that software is very helpful to download.

Thanks tanyas, that is a good idea to double check each other's work as we go along!

zenguppy34 said:
I noticed that some people used SIG codes. I'm not sure if everyone knows SIG codes, so I typed up this reference sheet for you guys.

Thanks for typing those up. Only thing is, does a.l.="left ear"? I thought it was a.s. Oh well, good job nonetheless.

Head Counting Time!!!!! (for the get together that is :) )

if you wanna go.... please PM or email me [email protected] . Feel free to invite nonSDN USC pharm students. It'll be nice to meet more people. I'll post up a list of people who wanna go every few days. I'll also post more details about the get together later on... like where to go mini golfing, dinner and rides (if needed).

Also... i want to make a directory with everyone on SDN. I figure it'll be useful later on, if we have questions about lectures, about different activities, about housing or whatever, we can just contact one another. Anyhow... if you wanna be on the directory, just PM or email me your info... Name , SDN name, email, phone # and maybe a little something about yourself??

That's it for now. :)

Hey Everyone,

I was just taking a look at the drug list I have for #101-200, and I'm still missing #139-150 from nivs22. I know I posted the deadline as 7/31 SAT, but usually I need a couple days to compile before I can send it out to everyone, so please email me your share ASAP to [email protected]. Thanks!

Nivs22 - Please post on this thread by TUESDAY 7/27 afternoon, or I may have to delegate your share to someone else.

Jerry, count me in for the SDN get-together, for mini-golf and dinner. Drinking, probably not, since I'll probably be driving myself and that wouldn't be safe. Check your PM, I sent you info for the directory you are putting together.

Thanks everyone for their great work!

just got back from vacation...

it seems like the list has been split and delegated already, but if any are missing just let me know and i'd be willing to help. thanks.

Hello - one of my easy going good friends is going to USC Pharmacy this fall and is looking for 1 or 2 roommates. If you are still looking for a roommate, let me know and I will give him your contact information. I look forward to meeting everyone.

count me in for the get-together. I'll also e-mail you the details for the directory

Count me in too...

Steve, my class finishes Tuesday, so I planned to do the list after that. I'll have it to you Wednesday or Thursday.

Pretty sure I can make the gathering.

hey, what loan lender are you guys signing up for? i'm confused because they all sound somewhat the same to me :confused:

What is the difference b/w anti infectives and anti biotics? cuz...there are antibiotics under anti infectives....I'm confused... :confused:

Here's the list of people i have so far for the get together:

nivs22
ngmpr3ss
tanyas
muimui221
dloi
calgal03
synergeticsteve
pandahuamei
kelly1180

Nivs22 - Thanks for replying quickly. I'll start compiling the list soon after I receive your share on Thursday.

PharmDGrl - I categorized antibiotics as drugs that kill bacteria, especially in the respiratory tract (pneumonia/internal infections). Anti-infectives (as I've listed them in the categorical list) kill fungal infections/treat viral infections (ex. Valtrex)/or are topical treatments for bacteria on skin/urinary tract. You can reorganize them as you like.

Zenguppy - Please add 1 more guest to the get-together. I will be bringing someone. Thanks.

zenguppy, add me to the list as a maybe...I'll be moving to LA on the 14th and may still be in the process of getting my stuff organized and such. I'd like to come but I'll have to see how things are going by then. Keep me posted =)

hey guys,

hope the studying for those top 100 drugs is going good. :) I haven't posted in awhile. I can't make it to the get together (moving in that weekend and all) but I will add myself to that directory. Take it easy :luck:

Hi, guys. I don't think I'll be able to make it to the "get together" either because I will be in the process of moving. However, I am looking forward to meeting all of you in the Fall! :)

Hey Guys for those of you who are moving and need to buy furniture let me know my friend has a store in L.A., and she'll give you a 10% discount.

calgal,

what loan lender did you decide to go with? i just received my finaid eligibility packet today and i am confused also. help from anyone would be appreciated!

~steve

Hey Steve,
I actually ended up calling the financial office and asking them which lender they suggested. The financial aid officer basically told me that most students go for Health Education Solution and they seem to be the best lender. All the lenders offer pretty much the same thing. So, I went with Health Education Solutions. I hope that helps!

Hey calgal,

I decided to go with Education Loan Resources. I think that the 2% interest rate reduction, which starts from repayment (6 months after grad), sounds pretty good. Plus, they are affiliated with USC Credit Union and Union Bank of California (my bank), so I feel that I have easy access to their branches/offices if I ever have any problems. I hope I'm making the right choice, I feel a little rushed about this decisions since I just received the finaid packet today and USC wants the paperwork by Monday. Thanks for the info though, calgal!

Hi everyone,

Did everyone receive the financial package? I did not received anything yet. I checked on oasis and there's nothing under the financial aid summary and it's said that it is still under review? i think i should call the school because i will be on vacation until august 14. do you know whether we have to send the letter in right away or can it wait until the mandatory settlement? thank you for your help.

hnguyen

hnguyen,
in the financial aid package it said that you have to send in the Statement of Financial Eligibility no later than Aug 2. however, you can bring in the promissory notes to Settlement if they're not mailed by Aug 6. i think you should contact the financial aid office to see what's going on with your package

Hey everyone,

I just finished compiling the 2nd half of the categorical drug list (#101-200) by brand. I will be sending the list out tonight to your respective email addresses. Danmy should be sending you the numerical list shortly. Listed below are the persons who participated in our delegated learning activity. Let me know if you don't receive the list by tonight, otherwise I'll send you another attachment on Wednesday, 8/3, after I get back from Vegas.

I second the idea that we should get together sometime and quiz each other on the top 100. Perhaps we can study after orientation activities are over.

Participants:
Nivs22
Calgal03
Justin_OD
L_R Pharm
Tanyas
Ngmpr3ss
PharmDGrl
Zenguppy34
Pandahuimei
Shoplifter
Hnguyen
Dloi
Biophiliac
Kelly1180
Muimui
SusanCh

**Oh, BTW, after calling the financial aid office on Friday, Allison, the financial aid rep, said I needed to send in my MPN to my Stafford lender, since I've never taken out loans before. Just a heads up to anyone who was wondering about MPN's. The MPNs for Perkins and HPSL should be coming in sometime this week. As long as you send the Perkins/HPSL MPNs out by Aug. 6, you should be fine.

Hey Guys!!!!

I hope everyone is having fun with the Drug List!!! I got a question about the drug exam. Do we have to know the available strengths for each drug??

Oh hi guys. I'm one of the class officers for level II and we're trying to put stuff together to help you with the drug quiz. Can someone pm me the second 100? Thanks and i'll be seeing you guys at the info session, or the big sib meeting, or during organization table sessions or...you get the picture;)

Hi, I just recently got accepted to USC pharmacy school...I got the 200 drug list...I was wondering if I can help with the list and get the complete list as well. My email address is [email protected].

Thanks, Stella

hey guys...does anyone know if there is printing in the labs at USC? upperclassmen, is there much printing required for assignments/notes that would warrant buying a printer?

Hey!
any current usc students involved in research?

nivs22 said:
hey guys...does anyone know if there is printing in the labs at USC? upperclassmen, is there much printing required for assignments/notes that would warrant buying a printer?

There is printing in the labs -- computers are in the pharmacy building or in the library. I think the cost is 5 cents - 10 cents per page (don't quote me on it -- I forget) It'll be a little cheaper if you purchase one of the copy cards. It really depends if you want to buy a printer -- if the ink is cheap, go for it. Otherwise, I would probably not since the printers are laser, thus if you highlight your notes like I do, they don't smear. Hope that helps :)