For those current USC students....

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I was quite confused about Dr. Baron's class schedule next week also. I was planning on following the yellow sheet instructions and being in PSC 104 at 1pm on 8/23 though. I'll email him tonight and post his reply as soon as possible.

Members don't see this ad.

Hey guys!!!!

It was nice to meet all of ya!!!! Hope you're all enjoying orientation !!! :D

Anyhow... about the study session on sunday... instead of the norris library, does everyone wanna come chill at my apt? I talked to steve already and he likes the idea. I'll order some pizzas and drinks for everyone. My plan is to pair people up with a system (renal, cardio...etc) and let them teach everyone about it. Let me know if you wanna come, you can email me [email protected] or PM me.

Let's set the time for noon on sunday (aug 22nd) and it'll end whenever...

Hey Everyone,

Just to let everyone know, I DID NOT reserve a room in Norris. Jerry offered his apartment for us to study at before I went to Norris, and it sounds much more of a comfortable/relaxed setting. So the study session is going to be at Jerry's apartment in Alhambra. Someone suggested that we can prioritize the systems as well. Here's what he emailed me:

*high priority*

nervous system
cardiovascular system
respiratory system
digestive system
urinary system
endocrine system
lymphatic/immune system
musculoskeletal system
blood system
skin
male/female reproductive system
sense organs (eyes/ears)

*low*

I have no idea what the Biosystems I pop quiz is going to have on it, so I'm not sure if prioritizing systems is such a good idea. I favor Jerry's suggestion and just pair up people on each system. Hopefully some 2nd years can post some suggestions on what we should be studying before Sunday rolls around.

It was nice meeting everyone at orientation! See you on Sunday!

~Steve

Members don't see this ad :)
hi,

just wondering if anyone is living at seaver this year? how is it so far?

thanks!

SynergeticSteve said:
Hey Everyone,

Just to let everyone know, I DID NOT reserve a room in Norris. Jerry offered his apartment for us to study at before I went to Norris, and it sounds much more of a comfortable/relaxed setting. So the study session is going to be at Jerry's apartment in Alhambra. Someone suggested that we can prioritize the systems as well. Here's what he emailed me:

*high priority*

nervous system
cardiovascular system
respiratory system
digestive system
urinary system
endocrine system
lymphatic/immune system
musculoskeletal system
blood system
skin
male/female reproductive system
sense organs (eyes/ears)

*low*

I have no idea what the Biosystems I pop quiz is going to have on it, so I'm not sure if prioritizing systems is such a good idea. I favor Jerry's suggestion and just pair up people on each system. Hopefully some 2nd years can post some suggestions on what we should be studying before Sunday rolls around.

It was nice meeting everyone at orientation! See you on Sunday!

~Steve

I love the enthusiasm, but it's not advisable to study for the bio sys pop quiz. You're almost shootin yourself in the foot. That quiz is used to get a sample of what ppl know. It's not a personal evaluation or a graded quiz that will add points at the end. If you take it, you'll get the bonus points at the end of the semester. He's using it to gauge the knowledge base not as a perfomance eval. If you wanna meet and study for the drug quiz that's wisdom, but stressin for the pop quiz is misspent resources.

Just as a general rule, the pop quizzes are off the material that was taught that day and the quiz given at the end of class. It rewards those that learn in class.

I must now study for my IV rotation quiz on f'in Saturday morning!!! Isn't level II fun?

i heard the same story about the quiz from my second yr student, so I am not too eager to study anymore....the thing is we have no idea what it is on....

Anyone know where to get the photo for our license....passport type i assume

justin_od said:
Anyone know where to get the photo for our license....passport type i assume

You can try Kinko's or Walgreens or a Mailboxes etc. type place...

Triangulation said:
I love the enthusiasm, but it's not advisable to study for the bio sys pop quiz. You're almost shootin yourself in the foot. That quiz is used to get a sample of what ppl know. It's not a personal evaluation or a graded quiz that will add points at the end. If you take it, you'll get the bonus points at the end of the semester. He's using it to gauge the knowledge base not as a perfomance eval. If you wanna meet and study for the drug quiz that's wisdom, but stressin for the pop quiz is misspent resources.

Just as a general rule, the pop quizzes are off the material that was taught that day and the quiz given at the end of class. It rewards those that learn in class.

I must now study for my IV rotation quiz on f'in Saturday morning!!! Isn't level II fun?

At least you're almost done with the rotation....I start in 1 1/2 weeks....not looking forward to waking up at 6am :(

Hey Everyone....

About sunday... we're not gonna study anymore. Instead we're gonna meet up at my apt and hang out. There will be pizza, beer and soda (maybe a BBQ if i can find a grill). We'll play poker and just hang out. It'll be fun. PM me or email me at [email protected] if you wanna come. same time and everything, meet up at noon. Level II students should come too!!!! I'm sure people have questions for ya!!!

steve,
have you heard back from Dr. Baron?

Below is the response I received from Dr. Baron. My interpretation of his email is that we don't have externship meetings this week. Further evidence that we don't have externship meetings is due to the fact that on Tues Aug. 24, we are all scheduled to have mandatory livescan fingerprinting from 1-4pm (on blue sheet in the manilla envelope Dr. Baron passed out on 8/18), which happens to coincide with the Pharmacy Practice and Experience I class on 8/24 1-4pm on the yellow sheet (labeled "first day of classes"). I'm sure he or another faculty member will make an announcement on Monday.

From Dr. Baron:

"Steve,
Yes, Rotation 1 starts on 8/30 or 8/31
Mel Baron"

What I emailed him:

"Dear Dr. Baron,

I was confused about the schedule for next week (8/23-8/27) regarding the Pharmacy Practice & Experience I class. On the yellow sheet labeled with "First day of Classes for Years 1,2,3", it states that we are to meet at 1pm in PSC 104 on Monday 8/23 and Tuesday 8/24. However, my confusion is derived from the fact that during orientation today (8/18), another yellow sheet was passed out labeled "Community/Hospital Pharmacy Externship Schedule" which states that those chosen for the earliest rotation, Rotation 1, start on 8/30 or 8/31. Could you clarify this situation for me? Thank you.

Steve Kawahara
USC Pharmacy School, Year 1 Student"

Hope this helps.

Members don't see this ad :)
zenguppy34 said:
Hey Everyone....

About sunday... we're not gonna study anymore. Instead we're gonna meet up at my apt and hang out. There will be pizza, beer and soda (maybe a BBQ if i can find a grill). We'll play poker and just hang out. It'll be fun. PM me or email me at [email protected] if you wanna come. same time and everything, meet up at noon. Level II students should come too!!!! I'm sure people have questions for ya!!!

hahaha! you guys are soooo funny!! :laugh: its true what triangulation said- i'm glad he posted us up on this. my sib and other sibs told us the same thing about this first pop quiz.

steve, where do you live?

Hey everyone,

I enjoyed seeing everyone at the SDN get-together at Jerry's apt. on Sunday. Thank you Jerry for the pizza, beer, and chips. For those of you who couldn't make it, the card games started out pretty innocent, but soon became aggresive and physical as we played "spoons" and "slap jack", but it was all in good fun.

I also wanted to announce that Jerry and I plan to run for Level I President and Vice-President, respectively. Other SDN-USC members are also planning to run too, so please support your SDN colleagues when elections are held in November.

Good luck in Week 1 everyone!

~Steve

SynergeticSteve said:
I also wanted to announce that Jerry and I plan to run for Level I President and Vice-President, respectively. Other SDN-USC members are also planning to run too, so please support your SDN colleagues when elections are held in November.

Good luck in Week 1 everyone!

~Steve

That is awesome!! Let me, Liz or Triangulation know if you guys have any questions. :thumbup: We all hold positions.

wow...didn't know there was such a forum till today =)

Lysir said:
wow...didn't know there was such a forum till today =)

Hey everyone, I assuming most of Year 1 students at USC. I like to introduce myself to the class of 2008. My name is Sang and I have probably not had to chance to meet everyone but would love to. I see that everyone is excited :) . Till next time, take care.

Welcome Lysir and Integgsr! Sang, I met you after the photo session on Wednesday, I'm glad you're on our little USC pharm forum. Everyone that I've met through SDN is super nice and cooperative. We're planning to have a study session this Sunday afternoon, if you two are interested, contact Jerry by private messaging him (left click on his screen-name, Zenguppy34, and select "send private message") to get more details. Plus, we sometimes study at school in Norris or out near the Plaza cafe/Starbucks area in front of Mayer. See you around!

Hey good luck on the elections! I'll be sure to vote for you guys as well...i haven't had a chance to meet any of you so i hope we can meet soon! My name is christine btw!

Hey Guys,
Just wanted to introduce myself because I'm new to the forum...didn't even know this existed :) I'm Kathreen, a year 1 student at USC Pharm. Hope to meet all of you soon!

tarashch said:
Hey Guys,
Just wanted to introduce myself because I'm new to the forum...didn't even know this existed :) I'm Kathreen, a year 1 student at USC Pharm. Hope to meet all of you soon!

Hey Kathreen !!!!!

Nice to meet you!!!! I'm Jerry. Yeah... introduce yourself sometime, i'm pretty easy to spot.... the shortest dude in class :laugh: .

Hi Kathreen! Nice to meet you! You can probably spot Jerry and myself outside of class collecting money for notepool, so please introduce yourself!

I'm just curious, for those of you who were previously accustomed to the quarter system, how has the adjustment been to the semester system at SC so far? For me, the UCLA quarter system was pretty fast and intense and left no time for "goofing" around (plus we had quizzes/midterms every 2-3 weeks), but the semester system seems more lax. For current Year 1's at SC, what are your thoughts?

Even though it's only 3rd wk of class, I feel like I have been in school for a while already. I can't relax yet since I have rotation and case study coming up. Hopefully, I will get the hang of things soon. :oops: