For those rocking the ED mullet...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DeadCactus

Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
For those wearing scrub tops and khaki/cargo type pants, do you have a preferred brand/style of pants? Dockers? 5.11? Something from REI?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
1.) No, eff you.
2.) Here's the new "ER MULLET", which I rock every shift, and am (maybe, maybe not) proud of:

- Breathable (CoolBase or comparable fabric) top (generally white, purchased at WalMart). If you live in Florida, this is what 94+% of your shirts should be made of.
- Scrub bottoms (pockets sewn in).
- Columbia vest on top (for pockets, and X-tra stereotype points) This defeats the purpose of the CoolBase top very effectively. Or, on the other hand, its the CoolBase top that permits you to have the luxury of your vest pockets and your X-games athlete "look".
- White coats?! If you're wearing a white coat, you're seriously standing in the way of patient care and scientific progress. Take that fomite off. Now. Hang your head in shame. Promise never to do that again. I might confuse you with an administrator with a "MBA"... whatever THAT means.
- "But... where do you hang your nametag?!; you ask? - I will tell you, you prole! You take a safety pin, and you stick it horizontally on the left half of your vest, at about the level of your collarbone. You hang that **** from that safety pin.

Reactions: 3 users
For those wearing scrub tops and khaki/cargo type pants, do you have a preferred brand/style of pants? Dockers? 5.11? Something from REI?
Duluth Trading Company fire hose flex.

Found these, never going anywhere else.

/edit: and, FWIW, I don't rock the traditional ED Mullet. Polo when warm, vented button down when cold. Can't stand scrubs, myself. d=)

Semper Brunneis Pallium

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
- White coats?! If you're wearing a white coat, you're seriously standing in the way of patient care and scientific progress. Take that fomite off. Now. Hang your head in shame. Promise never to do that again. I might confuse you with an administrator with a "MBA"... whatever THAT means.

I was thinking of wearing a long white coat and going as a Nurse Manager for halloween.

• Love
Reactions: 35 users
I rarely sport the mullet but I have some EMS/tactical pants I like to wear on occasion. super comfortable and can leave white coat behind because of multiple pockets. Only purpose of my white coat is to help me carry a few items I don't like to leave laying around. Don't hate on the mullet.

How anyone wears this is beyond me. Scrub tops are by far the lesser half of the pair. If you are going to wear any scrubs at all, it has to be the pants.

Reactions: 2 users
I expect a lot from my pants. A shirt is just a piece of cloth to hide my nipples, hide my gut, and display my name tag.

Reactions: 5 users
In residency all I had was cheap hospital scrubs. The pants never fit and no useable pockets sucked.

Since I got scrub pants with a button and cargo pockets, I could never go back.

One of the docs i work with wears black jeans.
I think that's a little bit too far.

I don't know why but I can't stand people wearing fleece in the ED. I think it's the fact that it is so fuzzy I just imagine all these MRSA bugs snuggling in the fleece and throwing a party and ****. Obviously any clothes can harbor bugs but since fleece is so soft and warm I think of it like the Petri dish from hell.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I don't know why but I can't stand people wearing fleece in the ED. I think it's the fact that it is so fuzzy I just imagine all these MRSA bugs snuggling in the fleece and throwing a party and ****. Obviously any clothes can harbor bugs but since fleece is so soft and warm I think of it like the Petri dish from hell.

Heresy !

Fleeces are like white coats.

There's an inverse relationship between the time spent wearing one and the time spent performing actual hands on patient care.

Dickies on Amazon ftw. Lots of pockets and even little loops for tools

img-mens-scrub-tops-baltic-front.jpg
i rock scrubs like a boss

Mesh track jacket FTW. Never liked fleece.

As for scrub pants, these are the best (for some reason my attempt to post an amazon link only posts an ad):

Grey's Anatomy Men's Big 6 Pocket Zip Fly Drawstring Scrub Pant

51joyiYmAoL._UY741_.jpg

Deep cargo pockets, but also side pockets like regular pants too. Deep enough to hold lists if you're inpatient, can hold your stethoscope, shears, granola bars if you're in the ed. Also remarkably soft. An actual zipper fly too! Keep the pee off your scrubs. Only scrubs I wear now.

Mesh track jacket FTW. Never liked fleece.

Deep cargo pockets, but also side pockets like regular pants too. Deep enough to hold lists if you're inpatient, can hold your stethoscope, shears, granola bars if you're in the ed. Also remarkably soft. An actual zipper fly too! Keep the pee off your scrubs. Only scrubs I wear now.

+1 for these. At first I felt dopey wearing a brand named after a show named after a textbook– but these rock. Deep pockets, zipper fly, belt loops, and they're slim fit too! ;)

Carharrt makes decent scrubs now as well. Their pants are ripstop and have similarly deep pockets.
1_wk-c54108-khi_750.jpg

I wash my fleece with my regular clothes, the white coat only gets worn under duress on off service and only gets dropped at the laundry department when it become visibly soiled in the front, so maybe once or twice a year.

Plinko is the bomb.

Plinko is indeed the bomb. But by the time I won (late on the last day), all that was left was Macy's.
Not that I'm complaining, considering it was the only gambling I did in Vegas (and won!)

I break out the fleece if it's actually freezing in the ED, which isn't terribly often - generally January when the AC is still on and it's actually cold outside. (I'm in Florida.) My white coat is a fomite. I don't care. I need the mirror I carry - to convince people that yes, their face is droopy, or yes, I need to fix that lac. I also carry a magic wand. It's a penlight, but I can totally pull off the fairy godmother swish and flick.

NECROBUMP

I need new scrubs.
I work in Florida; which is a terribly humid place.
The ER is somehow even more humid.
I need scrubs that are preferably made of a "cool-base" type material.
Any recommendations?

Bonus points if the bottoms have belt loops.

This was actually teleported in - it was resurrected from so long ago.
Geordi La Forge style

Yeah; I seem to remember a thread entitled "The Best Scrubs", but the search function on this forum behaves worse than a (write your own joke here) and found everything else, including talk about the show "Scrubs".

I got you mang

Jaanuu? Medelita? No firsthand experience but I'm sure others here can chime in.

In the daylight, now the Januu and Medelita are clear, but, what was the Geordi LaForge reference? I mean, I know he was engineer on the Enterprise, but what was teleported?

This thread was so old, and I necrobumped it... So it was this teleported thru space-time.

I thought this was about haircuts

Now I’m disappointed

Reactions: 1 users
Ah, now I get it. John Labatt had my attention.

I love Labatt.
It's funny; here in FL... You walk into a gas station convenience store, and you KNOW which brands are too high-risk for skunk to be gambled on.

Labatt is always a safe bet.

I will forever picture you sporting this sweet tool belt loaded up with a bougie, ET tube, 11 blade, 14 gauge angiocath, and trauma shears at all times when I read your posts.

Thanks. :)
Got a good laugh out of that.
Really, I'm just a dude who is tired of re-tying his drawstring every :45 minutes.
I've lost some weight.

Medelita are horrifying, at least for women. The material is nice and airy but they fit like bags. Short and boxy. No idea why they cost so much.

I still stand by my statements four years ago that fleece attracts more bugs and 100% for sure would be a covid hot spot.

Reactions: 1 users
Greys anatomy scrubs have belt loops, and pants that aren’t ridiculously tight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk