For those studying for Jan, what's the best way to tackle Verbal?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RAD11

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know it's still a while, but this has been the section that I've been very inconsistent in. I was thinking of doing 3 passages/day and a FL VR test once a week, but I'm afraid I'll run out of materials since I have ~ 5-1/2 months 'til the Jan MCAT.

I actually deferred 'til Jan because my VR was so inconsistent and I figured if I studied this section everyday I'll feel more comfortable when Jan rolls around. What I've done upto this point was to take an EK FL Verbal once/wk (except for when I took AAMC exams then reviewed answers/used EK strategies). However, I felt that studying for Verbal once/wk was not enough preparation.

For those preparing for January, how are you guys preparing for this section?

P.S. One of the reasons why I'm having such difficulty with this section is because I can't "feel" anything and haven't had a :idea: moment unlike the science sections. I know with more content review I can bring up the PS & BS more, but this section I have no clue.

Members don't see this ad.

I am planning to subscribe to Atlantic magazine because its cheapest and has about 10 issues, which should be enough to keep me busy for 9 months (planning to write it in April). I plan to read about 1-2 articles per day (depending on the length of the article). In January I plan to increase the number of articles to eventually about 5 (again depending on the length). I also plan to do EK every weekend, and then go over each passage and jotting down main idea, followed by an analysis of question stems. I am not too worried about having passages, because I have EK 101, princeton verbal book with 4 verbal tests, plus 3 princeton unused tests, plus test a-d (verbal from that), plus EK 1G verbal, all the AAMC verbal, and kaplan verbal (which I will use as my last resort). I also plan to take a philosophy courese, and an arts history course, because usually there is an abstract, convoluted passage about that.

I would say just do a lot of practice, and get used to reading scholarly articles. Also increase your vocabulary, because an increase in vocabulary would lead to an increase in comprehension. One of the best ways to do that is to read, read, and read. If you can enroll in an easy philosophy course that has a lot of reading, and won't damage your GPA, than that might help on the MCAT as well.

GOod luck!

Anyone else? C'mon January ppl where are you?!